Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-12-2022, 06:36 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by alank View Post
I just GOOGLE searched Pro Aqua softener and found it for $280. In the same line of various softeners was an Essential RV softener for $215 from the RV Water Filter Store advertising free shipping and no tax. Looking at the two softeners, they're the same unit marketed under different brand names.

The one thing I wouldn't like about them is that you unscrew the entire head off the tank to add the salt. The problem with this is the tube down in the resin comes out with the head and will get the resin in the threads of the tank, along with salt. It takes careful attention to a rinse down to clear the threads before putting the head back on.

Look at post #2 for the Water Filter Store site where they have the softener without hoses for $200.

For the Pro Aqua I have, I also picked up their recharge kit. Salt goes in there instead of having to take apart the softener specifically.
Gumpster808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-12-2022, 10:24 AM   #16

I have a Watts 10,000 because a fellow RV'er was going to throw it away, it was free. Don't know if he just didn't want it, didn't meet his expectations or was too much trouble. I think he hooked it up and never regenerated it, I had to do the regen. about 3 times to get it operating. Advertising seems to indicate you can get 2000 gal of soft water out of a 16,000 grain softener, but the water meter I use on my 10,000 grain softener indicates more like 300 gal. per recharge in the Pheonix area. You can do the math for your size softener.

To the OP that has the Watts, if you have trouble getting the salt to flow easily down into the top of the tank, I use a plastic HEET bottle with the bottom cut out as a funnel to get the salt down past the area where the salt seems to want to get blocked up.

I looked at the filter canister regeneration kit and unless I'm missing something, It seems like the regeneration takes more steps to complete if your softener is outside. The softener is heavy and takes some effort to move it around.
If you have permanently mounted the resin tank inside the coach, then the filter cannister makes some sense as long as the top of the tank has easy access to change hoses and hoses are long enough to put the canister out past the side of the coach to dump the water when you take the cannister off.

If I were buying a new softener, my first choice would be On-The-Go, second choice a Watts and third choice a Flow-Pure, all based on the ease of the regeneration process.
Old 12-12-2022, 12:58 PM   #17

Is it a gasket or O-ring. O rings can be ordered. Gaskets can be cut from rubber or other materials.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2022, 01:51 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by 153stars View Post
Is it a gasket or O-ring. O rings can be ordered. Gaskets can be cut from rubber or other materials.
Yup, took the words right out my of keyboard.

You can buy assorted rubber gasket material and use your current gasket as a template. Another option is to take your filter head/gasket to a plumbing supply store and see if they can match it or make one for you.
astrnmrtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2022, 04:17 PM   #19
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanJH View Post
Thanks for all the great ideas and leads. When I get home in a week or so, I'll see if I can repair the old one, if not , I'll be going for one of the others recommended.
I did a post in the Newmar Forum about the Double "On the Go" tank. After it arrived, I realized I would rarely use it because of the weight. I mounted it in the corner of the pass thru bay with quick connect fittings, then ran the plumbing to the wet bay. It's easy to remove for servicing. I also bought a quality metal pie pan that it sits in, in case it leaks.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2022, 10:55 AM   #20

I also meant to to point you to McMaster Carr if it's a big O-ring.The measurements will be there ,maybe get one bigger and smaller than you think. A description of O-ring the durometer "hardness" will help you pick the right one. 80D is most common but not necessarily if compressed by plastic parts. Then probably softer/lower durometer. You can actually learn a whole lot from vast number of descriptions in the McMaster catalog.
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrnmrtom View Post
Yup, took the words right out my of keyboard.

You can buy assorted rubber gasket material and use your current gasket as a template. Another option is to take your filter head/gasket to a plumbing supply store and see if they can match it or make one for you.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2022, 11:58 AM   #21

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by alank View Post
I just GOOGLE searched Pro Aqua softener and found it for $280.

The one thing I wouldn't like about them is that you unscrew the entire head off the tank to add the salt. The problem with this is the tube down in the resin comes out with the head and will get the resin in the threads of the tank, along with salt. It takes careful attention to a rinse down to clear the threads before putting the head back on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumpster808 View Post
For the Pro Aqua I have, I also picked up their recharge kit. Salt goes in there instead of having to take apart the softener specifically.
Here's a link to the Home Depot website for the "recharge kit", which is actually a combination Water Softener Regeneration Kit and Water Filter: https://www.homedepot.com/p/PRO-AQUA...628471#overlay

Click image for larger version

Name:	ProAqua.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	143.9 KB
ID:	382617

Works great to simplify the periodic recharge AND as a 5 micron pre-filter for your entire fresh water system. Contrast that with the ever popular Camco blue filter which is a 20 micron element. The Pro-Aqua replacement element is less expensive than the Camco blue, too.

Take care,
Stu

Tags
water