Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-08-2022, 07:13 AM   #1

Water Softener Recommendations ? ( not Watts)

I have a Flow Pur/Watts RV PRO-1000 water softener. a couple of days ago, the gasket between the head and the tank began to leak. I contacted Flow Pur, their response was that that did not carry parts and that I needed to contact Watts.
I go to the watts website and they state they do not support consumers. They don't even list the water softener in their product list. They also don't have any email contact listed. I did a search and found the email of one of their execs and sent her an email. I quickly received a response stating that they would not provide me with the gasket separately, I'd need to buy a complete head unit from Camping World. The price of this head unit is about $60--- more than 25% of the total unit replacement--- just for a leaky gasket !

When I get home in a couple of weeks, I'll take the unit apart and see if I can either make a gasket of find something at an industrial supply company.

If that fails, I'll be shopping for a replacement water softener..... so, do you have any recommendations for a good, reputable provider of a water softener.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-08-2022, 07:17 AM   #2

There usually is a popup ad on IRV2 for a sponsor that sells all the water items. You could just take the head t to a bearing house and they can sell you an o ring. Pocket change is the cost,
On Edit
https://www.rvwaterfilterstore.com/rv-water-softeners
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 08:33 AM   #3

I have the On the Go double standard and am very happy with it.
00 Buckshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 10:40 AM   #4

we are happy with our onthego. if you go to their website, you can see they have replacement parts. the softener performs very well
Old 12-09-2022, 09:54 AM   #5

I have a Flow-Pur 10000 softener and never had any problems. Any time a water connection leaks, I try to tighten the connection. Did you turn the water off then try the head to see if it can be loosened more, then retightened?
Old 12-10-2022, 10:05 AM   #6

Jayco Owners Club
I got the SoftCell system, large one, and it works great, but is very heavy.
I wrapped it in insulation, with pipe heater cord so can use during the winter
as it sits outside...would prefer one that is integrated into the wetbay in the
basement.
Topperace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2022, 10:33 AM   #7

I too have the on the go double. Order a shower matt with it. Makes the fiberglass shower very slippery.
Old 12-11-2022, 06:36 AM   #8

Every few weeks, Home Depot on their daily specials, sells a Pro Aqua 16,000 grain portable unit for around $229. That includes free shipping. the kicker is you have to find it for sale and purchase it that day. Worth the wait.

Karen & Allen Van Zandt
txcpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2022, 06:52 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by txcpl View Post
Every few weeks, Home Depot on their daily specials, sells a Pro Aqua 16,000 grain portable unit for around $229. That includes free shipping. the kicker is you have to find it for sale and purchase it that day. Worth the wait.

That is the one we have. With the Home Depot military discount it worked out well price wise.

Picked up the recharge kit that goes with it also from Home Depot.

Researched and good reviews for the unit.

Haven’t used it yet but will be hooking up soon since the new rig we are picking up in a couple weeks has a washer etc.
Gumpster808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2022, 07:16 AM   #10

That is an awesome price. Google shows he cheapest at Amazon. $279.95.
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2022, 08:42 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by moisheh View Post
That is an awesome price. Google shows he cheapest at Amazon. $279.95.

Just looked at my orders. With the 10% military discount the Pro Aqua was $216. Currently just over $300 so not in sale at this time.
Gumpster808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2022, 10:20 AM   #12

I just GOOGLE searched Pro Aqua softener and found it for $280. In the same line of various softeners was an Essential RV softener for $215 from the RV Water Filter Store advertising free shipping and no tax. Looking at the two softeners, they're the same unit marketed under different brand names.

The one thing I wouldn't like about them is that you unscrew the entire head off the tank to add the salt. The problem with this is the tube down in the resin comes out with the head and will get the resin in the threads of the tank, along with salt. It takes careful attention to a rinse down to clear the threads before putting the head back on.

Look at post #2 for the Water Filter Store site where they have the softener without hoses for $200.
Old 12-11-2022, 11:18 AM   #13

Years ago, my Dad found a residential softener that was a low profile cube. He had a plumber build and install a manifold/bypass assembly with garden hose fittings. He used washing machine hoses to connect the softener. It fit very nicely in the bottom of an average size pantry.
Old 12-12-2022, 06:54 AM   #14

Thanks for all the great ideas and leads. When I get home in a week or so, I'll see if I can repair the old one, if not , I'll be going for one of the others recommended.

Tags
water