Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-19-2012, 06:42 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
weather checked tires

was looking at tires on mh. start seeing weather check all in same area.about 2-3" up from bead. there kankook tires dot date is 09. thinking of puting on new steer tire.the have 30,000 miles on them.just wondering about how serious this is.
thanks
new rver is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-19-2012, 06:54 AM   #2

From what I've read on here, Michelin's are more prone to checking than other tires. You might check on the Michelin site to see what they say about checking.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 07:27 AM   #3

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Got the right amount of air in them? Could be more from flexing than weather..
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 10:25 AM   #4

National RV Owners Club
You need to be concerned if the cracks are deep. Surface cracks are not uncommon. I'd suggest you stop by a tire dealer and ask how deep they can be and still be considered safe.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 10:48 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
This is what Michelin says.

During the pre-trip inspection, be sure to check your tires for signs of aging, weather checking and/or ozone cracking these show up as tiny cracks in the rubber surface on the sidewall of the tire.

If the cracks are less than 1/32" deep, the tire is fine to run.
Between 1/32" and 2/32", the tire is suspect and should be examined by your Michelin dealer. If the cracks are any deeper than 2/32", the tire should be replaced immediately.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 11:02 AM   #6

Goodyear's warranty kicks in if the depth of the cracks is 2/32", and is good for 4 years from the purchase date if you have the receipt, otherwise, it is based on the DOT code. In my case, the warranty period started on the purchase date of my rig (2/2010) instead of the date on the tire which was in 4/2008. Since the cost is prorated on the tread depth, I got all 6 tires replaces for around $65 each (plus tax, mounting and balancing)
Old 07-19-2012, 08:48 PM   #7

What is date code on tires? The date is more important than the checking / cracks. If the tires are more that six (6) years old, replace them, do not trust them! If they fail the consequences can be very severe.
CarlGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 08:50 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlGeo View Post
What is date code on tires? The date is more important than the checking / cracks. If the tires are more that six (6) years old, replace them, do not trust them! If they fail the consequences can be very severe.
Sorry, I overlooked the 09 date on the original post.
CE
CarlGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 04:41 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Fliers View Post
Goodyear's warranty kicks in if the depth of the cracks is 2/32", and is good for 4 years from the purchase date if you have the receipt, otherwise, it is based on the DOT code. In my case, the warranty period started on the purchase date of my rig (2/2010) instead of the date on the tire which was in 4/2008.
G670 Warranty for cracks is 7 Years.
Michelin covers cracks for 0 days.

WHEN DOES THE G670 RV WARRANTY END?
The new tire coverage of this warranty ends or five (5) years from the date of purchase, whichever occurs first.
The only exception is warranty from the date of purchase or when
the treadwear indicators become visible, whichever occurs first. Without proof of purchase, date of manufacture will be used
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 05:24 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
thanks for reply.cracks are small not deep. i check air often.i'll try to find hankook dealer. Now i read this post before what tires do people run.again thanks for reply.
safe travles bob,linda & missy
new rver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 06:47 AM   #11

I put Toyo 19.5s on mine ~1 year ago. Hopefully, too soon to crack. They ride better than the G670s I took off that were 8 years old and only had 15K on them. There were no cracks on them.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 08:08 AM   #12

A friend of the family was a sales rep. for one of the big tire companies for many, many years.

He said the fastest way to destroy a tire early is to leave it parked all winter long in one place with snow up around it.

The sun warms the tire which melts the snow around it, the water then soaks into the rubber and freezes causing very small cracks which get larger with each successive freeze / thaw cycle.

He swore by liberally coating tires with a preservative (Armor All, etc.) and then putting a physical barrier such as tire covers or wood in front of them to keep the tires from coming in direct contact with snow. He also suggested parking the tires up on top of some piece of plank to keep them from sitting in contact with the earth itself.
Old 07-24-2012, 12:46 PM   #13

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf2u View Post
A friend of the family was a sales rep. for one of the big tire companies for many, many years.

He said the fastest way to destroy a tire early is to leave it parked all winter long in one place with snow up around it.

The sun warms the tire which melts the snow around it, the water then soaks into the rubber and freezes causing very small cracks which get larger with each successive freeze / thaw cycle.

He swore by liberally coating tires with a preservative (Armor All, etc.) and then putting a physical barrier such as tire covers or wood in front of them to keep the tires from coming in direct contact with snow. He also suggested parking the tires up on top of some piece of plank to keep them from sitting in contact with the earth itself.
Really? Thanks god he was in sales..
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 01:29 PM   #14

I've got a set of tires on our 'chore truck' at the farm that were put on in the summer of 1986, still no weather checking or splits, they've lived outside full-time since they were new.

They've been protected as described above since new also.

Or it might just be 'cause the old trucks never had ethanol in it ........

Tags
tires