Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-10-2009, 06:41 AM   #15

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
To the original poster: The cycle you describe is very familure to me (But on other hardware, not my awning) this is a thermal overload sensor cycling and indicates the motor is overloaded.

How to fix it.. I do not know, but likely a new motor will be needed A recent thread suggested tha'ts about $400.00. I've only seen one motor replacement (job is fairly easy it appears) and that was under warranty... I did not do it, and I only watched half of it.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-13-2009, 05:03 AM   #16

Tiffin Owners Club
I Guess I fixed it.

Hi All,

It finally got to check on my efforts to get the awning to close under rainy conditions last night. We got a good (?) hard storm last night. I waited for the awning to get really wet and go through it's dump sequence the first time. Then I timed it so that just before it dumped again I hit the button and it came in perfectly! Tried 3 more times through the storm and it worked liked it was supposed to, in and out. While the WD40 may have helped I think it was the increased number of turns on the torsion spring that made the difference. So for now, I'll call this one Fixed! Thanks for all your help Okay now what's next..............?
Ol'Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 06:04 AM   #17

Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Joe,

Good to hear of some well deserved success. I stuck with the tension that they had set from the factory when I installed my new one. Hopefully they are setting them up properly these days. I did notice my new one came with the gas springs on both sides. I've seen other versions of this same awning with the gas spring on one side only.

You're right......what's next.....but we love it!
Old 07-13-2009, 09:48 AM   #18

I had the same problem, 5 years ago, with my A&E Weather Pro. Took it to the dealer. They used a rubber mallet and tapped on the forward end of the tube (that's where the motor is), while they worked the awning in and out. Problem went away and hasn't come back. they said that the motor has electrical brakes (or something like that) the brakes tend to bind.
They called up Dometic to get the motor replaced. Dometic said that it should operate fine now that it is unstuck and refused to replace it.
A year or so later, I used my rubber mallet to free up another MH's awning that was sticking.
Tom

2004 DSDP 3807, 370HP Spartan
tmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote