Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-24-2020, 11:49 AM   #1

Weight discussion - where to find published MRO weights?

Long but concerning…

I have been a Class C RV'er now since 2008 and presently on our second Class C RV. Looking to the near future I plan to retire. As a result I am working on my 'plans.'

As a career, my job tasks include intensive project planning. The most difficult plans are always the features or factors that have a potentially high impact on what you want to do where information is difficult to obtain. Planning my post-career fun activities are unearthing just such a conundrum with motorhome weights and tow limits.

Looking at the specifications for Class A (gas) and Class C motorhomes the spec sheets clearly denote the GVW and GCVW. Sticking with a Ford based chassis for simplification, the Class C E450 typically is listing GVW of 14,500 lbs and GCVW of between 22,000 and 24000 lbs. Class A F53 typically GVW 18,000 and GCVW of about 22,000.

Since 2008 I have RV'd with the family without a towable so I likely drove my rig over-gross like 80% of RV'ers just because I was not paying attention. My plans for retirement look a bit different now with a vehicle in tow - 2019 Ranger 4x4 with a motorcycle in the bed and two kayaks on the roof. My tow weight is estimating right around 6,000 lbs (5400 + room for storage or other items).

Based on this it would appear the Class A gas unit is immediately off the table. With GCVW-GVW being 4,000 to 5,000 lbs it makes it look like the 8,000 lb hitches are a big mismatch on these rigs.

Looking at the Class C it would appear that the GCVW-GVW is trending into the 7,500 area but with the information here on this Forum where people weigh their rig unloaded and find they are close to GVW empty it is a bit shocking. No wonder so many are over GVW.

The missing number in this equation is the MRO weight of the motorhome in the spec sheet. Obviously the 32' rig with three slides and a residential fridge and an inverter with 4 big deep cycle batteries is going to be significantly higher weight than the 25' with no slides or inverter. The GVW is listed as the same for the E450 chassis in most cases (some of the smaller units are E350 so be careful).

Short of driving to an RV lot and looking at the labels on the inside of one of the cabinets, how can one find the MRO weights (Made Road Ready) for units we are interested in? Nothing is coming up on an internet search, nothing on a Forum search, nothing at the manufacturer sites...

Once I get my Ranger ready to tow I plan to head to the scales to find out the bad news about my current RV (I have added a 2kw inverter, 4 big 6v batteries, auto switch box, wiring, leveling jacks, larger AC unit, and a residential fridge). In the meantime I would really like the data in a spreadsheet for my list of next potentials. Do I really have to call a salesman to find out weights and then put up with the constant "on sale this week" calls?
dceggert is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-24-2020, 12:05 PM   #2

I've run into exactly the same issue and the short answer is yes you have to go look at the sticker or get the salesman to send you a picture of the sticker. As each coach has different things in it you need to get the actual weight from the sticker and then subtract that from the GVWR or the GCWR to figure out what your Cargo Carrying Capacity (CCC) and towing weight are. Even then I personally assume that the CCC is going to max out the GVWR and then subtract that from the GCWR to see how much you can tow. There are situations where if you max out the hitch rating you have no room left or either people or gear, a royal PITA.
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 10:17 AM   #3

I have found a partial solution. Matt's RV Reviews on YouTube are a bit silly but he states the 'payload' for each coach he reviews. So, by doing a search on his channel I can at least get the ballpark figure for the units I am interested in. The payload should be GVW less empty weight. So payload would be the value for people, stuff, fuel, water, black, gray, and any changes.

I have kindasorta developed an interest in the Entegra Odessey 31F after watching the reviews. One was reviewed with the hydraulic jacks and another with the self-leveling system as an option. The base model was 2,070 lbs payload and the one with the self-leveling was 1,760. Not a lot of carrying capacity but at least the Odessey has suspension upgrades. They also have 7,500 lb hitches so with me needing 6,000 lbs for my towed setup (with 4-down the weight on the hitch should only be 1/2 the towbar) should have no issue getting in under the GCVW.

Well, at least I know it is somewhat possible now. Feeling better.
dceggert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 10:23 AM   #4

Yep, that's probably a good source. I have seen a couple of his videos and you are right he's a weirdo but he does review a lot of coaches.
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 12:58 PM   #5

Manufacturers giving incomplete weight capacity information online or in a brochure is a big irritation to me. It does absolutely no good to give the GVWR but then not give the UVW of a rig. Yes, it would be impossible to list a specific number because of the wide variety of options out there but I still don't see a reason for why a manufacturer couldn't at least list the UVW of a base model to give us a general idea of what we were looking at. They could stipulate that this number would vary depending on options, etc,,,.
Old 09-27-2020, 02:03 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Carolina Campers
that is one of the things that I have been looking at and with my review I am leaning towards Newmar When I can afford to buy mine and in looking at the specs sections of each of the models has similar section of the specs:
Click image for larger version

Name:	2020-09-27 16_02_36-2021 Bay Star motor coach specs _ Newmar.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	119.0 KB
ID:	302541
wrlwnd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
weight