Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-10-2006, 10:57 AM   #1

I have a 2000 Monaco motorhome and I am considering having a steel roller welded to the bottom of the hitch skid plate(long story). I understand that special precautions should be taken while welding on a MH because of the possibility of damaging the electrical system due to current from the welder backfeeding through the chassis??

8.3L Cummins ISC
BIGRED1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-10-2006, 10:57 AM   #2

I have a 2000 Monaco motorhome and I am considering having a steel roller welded to the bottom of the hitch skid plate(long story). I understand that special precautions should be taken while welding on a MH because of the possibility of damaging the electrical system due to current from the welder backfeeding through the chassis??

8.3L Cummins ISC
Old 10-10-2006, 11:57 AM   #3

BIGRED1
You are correct. According to a DD transmission tech, on a W-22 he Told me never elec weld unless you disconnect all batteries. He said they have had to replace the control module on several MHs because of the elec damage. s/Toby
Old 10-10-2006, 08:17 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Rather then worrying about the electroics and taking precautions, can you remove the hitch then weld on the roller. Might take some time, but you'll be safe.
Old 10-11-2006, 11:06 AM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
It's been a long time since I did any welding, but why not use a gas welder?

fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 08:51 PM   #6

Disconnect the batteries and make sure the welding ground is hooked directly to the hitch and you should be fine.

It would be best if you took it to a shop that has a wire feeder welder instead of a stick welder.

That is a trailer sales/weld shop in our town and that is what they do. Never had a problem they said in the 17 years they have been doing it.

That is also the same procedure they use if they do any welding on any big rig truck, pickup or any vehicle. They do use a wire feeder welder if at all possible. They connect the ground as close as they can to the welding point.

They welded a second reciever box on our other MH with no problem so I do/did trust their advice.

Ron

GStream40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 08:49 AM   #7

I would be interested in what helped you decide to add the roller. I've seen them and wondered if it would be a good thing? Thanks, HarveyP

Cummins/Allison
HarveyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 11:42 AM   #8

My '00 Monaco Diplomat has a full length stone guard. It's hung a couple of feet inside the end of the hitch. If the coach bottoms out on a steep incline(such as exiting a parking lot or drive way), the guard can fold up under the hitch and when it bottoms out on it it's not good! It's happened to me once and it bent the guard and its support frame and scratched the stainless steel Monaco logo plate that runs across the full width of it. I am considering moving the guard further back and putting the skid wheel to give it more clearance. I found one that can be bolted on at CW, so welding it on won't be an issue.

8.3L Cummins ISC
Old 10-19-2006, 10:29 AM   #9

Mid Atlantic Campers
You'd be surprised at the great heavy duty wheels that can found at an industrial supply store. "Northern Tool"

2007 National RV Pacifica 36'
Jestme13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 03:00 PM   #10

Ron,
As one with some limited welding training and experience, tell me why a wire feed would be any different than stick to the electronics? The Ford people told me that if you have any type of arc welding done to unplug the modual and to make very sure that the ground is good by checking it with an ohm meter to be less than 1 ohm. They also said that it was less likely to cause a problem if the welding were done using DC.
Old 10-20-2006, 02:25 PM   #11

Bigred: I bought the heavy duty steel wheels from camping world. I then welded two pieces of angle iron to the top plate of the wheel. The angle iron is the same width as the 2" cross beam on the hitch. I then welded a vertical strap (with a hole at the top) to the angle that reached above the cross beam. I then bolted the welded wheel assembly to the hitch. So all you see are 2 steel rollers hanging below the hitch on either side of the tongue. These wheels take a beating and protect the hitch assembly from dragging. Good luck
2000 Jeep Wrangler 4X4
Gary CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 05:21 AM   #12

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Kirk:
Ron,
As one with some limited welding training and experience, tell me why a wire feed would be any different than stick to the electronics? The Ford people told me that if you have any type of arc welding done to unplug the modual and to make very sure that the ground is good by checking it with an ohm meter to be less than 1 ohm. They also said that it was less likely to cause a problem if the welding were done using DC. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry I took so long getting back to you about why the wire feeder instead of stick welding. I checked with the guys at the weld shop and they tell me it is what is recommended for any welding on a frame or hitch. Something about the metallurgical changes of the metal as to temper and strength.

It has nothing to do with the electronics.

Ron

GStream40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 06:09 AM   #13

quote,
"I checked with the guys at the weld shop and they tell me it is what is recommended for any welding on a frame or hitch. Something about the metallurgical changes of the metal as to temper and strength."

I think it all has to do with convenience and skill level. Someone would have to get the spec sheet out and show me the difference in weld strength between stick welding and wire feed before I could believe the remark made by the guys at the weld shop. The popularity of wire feed has made a lot of repairs and modifications look good. But,an experienced welder can make the repair with either method. Any other welders out there who can offer their experience on this subject?
Beagle RC Air is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 11:16 AM   #14

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Beagle RC Air:
quote,
"I checked with the guys at the weld shop and they tell me it is what is recommended for any welding on a frame or hitch. Something about the metallurgical changes of the metal as to temper and strength."

I think it all has to do with convenience and skill level. Someone would have to get the spec sheet out and show me the difference in weld strength between stick welding and wire feed before I could believe the remark made by the guys at the weld shop. The popularity of wire feed has made a lot of repairs and modifications look good. But,an experienced welder can make the repair with either method. Any other welders out there who can offer their experience on this subject? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I would also say that it would have more to do with skill level and that more people with marginal training on a wire feed welder could do the job than those with marginal trainig with gas or electric stick welding.

Wire feed typically uses a lower amperage than stick and could be viewd as less prone to make a brittle weld. However there are a greater variety of welding rods available than wires and I would think that the best fit for penetration and strength specs would be from this wide selection of sticks.

It has come a long way from the days when you would wrap a type of paper machette made from old newspapers around your welding rod because fluxed rods were not invented yet and you had to in effect roll your own.

The gentleman who trained me could gas weld aluminum better than a lot of the boys with heliarc machines. Art could also weld 1/4 inch plate glass to 1/4 inch plate steel and leave the glass clear and the weld would be water tight. I wish I had saved one of his water tight door samples with a welded in view port.