Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-13-2017, 05:31 PM   #1
UUU

What does it take to "reserve" an RV you're wanting to buy?

I'm just about ready to buy a used RV. It's in another state, so it's going to be about a week before I can get there.

The dealer told me that to take it off the market I'd just have to pay a fully refundable 1% deposit. I agreed and he said he'd send a form.

Instead I got four forms.
  • The first is a lengthy form saying I accept the RV in "as is" condition--even though I haven't seen it yet, and the dealer knows I'm going to be bringing a mechanic with me. It doesn't seem too weird to me that a used RV would come "as is," but why would I sign that now instead of at purchase. Also...the "as is" form wouldn't make it so I can't clamber on the remaining Ford warranty, would it?
  • The second is an itemized list of all the elements making up the total cost. It's titled a "work sheet." I don't understand this one. Why do I have to sign a form saying the dealer accepted my offer? Doesn't this lock me in before I've even seen it in person? If I sign this, does that mean I can't change my offer based on issues the mechanic finds?
  • Next is a "get ready" form. I don't mind this one too much, as all the items on it (vacuum RV, test stove, 1/4 tank of gas, etc.) are listed at $0, but I just don't understand the need for it.
  • The last one finally mentions the deposit...but says nothing about it being refundable, or even that it will be applied to the purchase.

Now, I get it, I'm a first time buyer, and I'm probably worrying about nothing. It's just that when we talked, the dealer said I'd just have to call the front office and authorize a refundable deposit. Then suddenly I get a bunch of paperwork that seems more like it should be signed at the end of the process, not the beginning!

Does any of this make sense?
UUU is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-13-2017, 05:34 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Don't do it. If you have to put a deposit down and it is as is, you'll have a problem if there is a problem. I'd advise against it. I'd wait to see and inspect it before you sign anything or Patty and money

Sent from my XT1635-01 using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
rvbunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 05:35 PM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
That's pay not Patty

Old 10-13-2017, 05:42 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeputyBrans View Post
I'm just about ready to buy an RV. It's in another state, so it's going to be about a week before I can get there.

The dealer told me that to take it off the market I'd just have to pay a fully refundable 1% deposit. I agreed and he said he'd send a form.

Instead I got four forms.
  • The first is a lengthy form saying I accept the RV in "as is" condition--even though I haven't seen it yet, and the dealer knows I'm going to be bringing a mechanic with me.
  • The second is an itemized list of all the elements making up the total cost. It's titled a "work sheet." I don't understand this one. Why do I have to sign a form saying the dealer accepted my offer? Doesn't this lock me in before I've even seen it in person? If I sign this, does that mean I can't change my offer based on issues the mechanic finds?
  • Next is a "get ready" form. I don't mind this one too much, as all the items on it (vacuum RV, test stove, 1/4 tank of gas, etc.) are listed at $0, but I just don't understand the need for it.
  • The last one finally mentions the deposit...but says nothing about it being refundable, or even that it will be applied to the purchase.

Now, I get it, I'm a first time buyer, and I'm probably worrying about nothing. It's just that when we talked, the dealer said I'd just have to call the front office and authorize a refundable deposit. Then suddenly I get a bunch of paperwork that seems more like it should be signed at the end of the process, not the beginning!

Does any of this make sense?
No. I would not make any deposit and assume the chances you reach a deal when you show up at less than 50-50 chances are if the deal sounds too good to be true it is, and is due to the current "as is" condition of the RV. That way you won't be disapointed if you and them can't reach an agreement you think is fair.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 05:57 PM   #5

HI DeputyBrans; I had the same as you described when buying my first coach back in 03. Dealer said to take off the market, need a refundable deposit. Sent me paper work that said otherwise like you mentioned. Called and said what gives! Could not work out everything over the phone so made a smaller deposit that I knew I could walk away from. Did a lot of research on the dealer before doing so. We did buy the coach. It was in Az. and we were in Wa. Kind of your call. If it is the only model of what you are looking for like ours was, you might have to take a chance. Do a real good research on the dealer and still, I would not agree to some of that paper work they sent you. You might want to follow the advice others have given here. I always say that it is your money, demand better. Good luck!
8.3Oilbuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 06:11 PM   #6

Run Forest
, run!
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 06:11 PM   #7
UUU

Quote:
Originally Posted by powercat_ras View Post
No. I would not make any deposit and assume the chances you reach a deal when you show up at less than 50-50 chances are if the deal sounds too good to be true it is, and is due to the current "as is" condition of the RV. That way you won't be disapointed if you and them can't reach an agreement you think is fair.
I'm not sure I understand. Are you saying that it's uncommon, or a red flag, for a used RV to be sold "as is"? I admit it's my first purchase, but I assumed any used RV purchase would "as is."

Now that I think about it, though, would the "as is" form make it so we can't claim anything under the Ford warranty on the chassis? Surely not, since the "as is" clause is between me and the dealer, not me and Ford, right?

Also, what makes you think the deal is too good to be true? I haven't said anything about that?

Do you have any thoughts on the question in the title? If this isn't what in supposed to do to lock in a long distance deal, pending inspection, than what is the proper course of action to ensure that the price and the RV don't disappear?
Old 10-13-2017, 06:15 PM   #8

I purchased a motorhome with a trade in Teaxas and I live in CT. I gave a refundable 2k deposit to hold it until it was inspected. I had items repaired after the first inspection with a promise to send 20k after all items were addressed. The second inspection showed a few other minor issues and I sent an email saying if X was repaired we would purchase. They agreed and I sent the money. All this was refundable if we didn't close.

Anything less than that and we would have walked. What they are asking of you is a bit draconian... (don't get to use that word much).
Old 10-13-2017, 06:19 PM   #9
UUU

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvbunz View Post
Don't do it. If you have to put a deposit down and it is as is, you'll have a problem if there is a problem. I'd advise against it. I'd wait to see and inspect it before you sign anything or Patty and money
Can you please explain why a deposit is a problem, assuming that they out in writing that it's refundable? Is there some other way to get it off the market, or do you advise driving 14 hours and just hoping it will still be there and they'll still honor the price?

Also, aren't all used RVs sold "as is"? I mean, unless the dealer is specifically offering some kind of warranty as an incentive, I thought any used RV would be "as is."

Here's another stupid question on that there, though: if I sign "as is" clause with the dealer, could it affect the status of the Ford warranty on the chassis and such? It couldn't, right?
Old 10-13-2017, 06:21 PM   #10
UUU

Was it a used RV? I stupidly forgot to mention in the original post that this is used (updated now).
Old 10-13-2017, 06:23 PM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
The “as is” language is okay once you have inspected and accepted the unit, but not before. I would insist on the following clause: “Buyer shall have the right to inspect the RV on or before (date) and deposit shall be refunded in full if Buyer, in his sole discretion, informs Seller within 24 hours of said inspection that the RV is not satisfactory to Buyer, whereupon this transaction shall be void. This provision shall supereced all other provisions in any document signed prior to said inspection.”

I am not a lawyer. This is language I would use for a similar transaction, but this is not to be construed as legal advice for anyone else.
MRUSA14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 06:24 PM   #12

Thor Owners Club
Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
What year is the coach? If it's older than 36 months or has more than 36,000 miles there is probably no Ford warranty. I just. If the paperwork states the deposit is refundable if you decide the coach is not satisfactory than you may be ok. I personally would but a coach or put a deposit on it without seeing it, test driving and inspecting. That's just me. What brand and model is it?

Old 10-13-2017, 06:27 PM   #13
UUU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
I purchased a motorhome with a trade in Teaxas and I live in CT. I gave a refundable 2k deposit to hold it until it was inspected. I had items repaired after the first inspection with a promise to send 20k after all items were addressed. The second inspection showed a few other minor issues and I sent an email saying if X was repaired we would purchase. They agreed and I sent the money. All this was refundable if we didn't close.

Anything less than that and we would have walked. What they are asking of you is a bit draconian... (don't get to use that word much).

Was it used? I stupidly forgot to put in the original post that this is a used RV (I've corrected that now).
Old 10-13-2017, 06:30 PM   #14

Ford Super Duty Owner
I would only sign one form. The one that says I made a deposit to hold the rv until a certain date and if I don't buy it I get my deposit back. Everything else can be worked out after you test drive and inspect it. This is what I did with my 2017 sunseeker. $1000.00 deposit to hold it until the following Monday. Fully refundable if I did not buy it. I was 1200 miles away from the rv dealer. I wanted to make sure it was still available before going that far to inspect and drive it. I bought it.
Charles L is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, buying, dealer, help with purchase