Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-05-2018, 06:52 AM   #15

I think it's a combination of things, some already mentioned.

Not many people check in here daily to say everything went great, no problems today.

It's a house on wheels that get's beat to death on some of our terrible roads. So it requires maintenance and fixes. Heck, there's usually something around our house that requires one of those two and it's stationary.

Then there's expectations. Someone buys a 40' DP as their first RV. No concept of how things work, what to expect and no ability to troubleshoot and repair even the most minor problem. Not criticizing people without those skills. I have them but on the other hand I have zero artistic or athletic ability. Problem is they don't expect to have any issues. So when there is one it becomes a problem or major issue when to others it might be just a minor annoyance.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-05-2018, 07:36 AM   #16

Take a look at the manufacturing process of cars or big rigs versus a class A motorhome and I think you will find a partial answer. Lots and lots of automation in the build process for trucks, not so much on motor homes. More opportunity for errors in hand built.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 07:50 AM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Unfortunately one of the biggest problems and challenges in RV manufacturing is keeping them as light as possible. Quality and longevity suffer as a result. But we keep demanding more and more gadgets and frills. We just have to get used to the upkeep and soldier on.
Happy Glamping.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 08:00 AM   #18

Would you agree with this statement?

A person who isn't able to make basic repairs or willing to learn how, is not a good candidate to own a MH.
Sandy Swede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 08:02 AM   #19

The problem is the rv's these days are very poorly built. And as long as people keep defending it with this myth that they are complicated machines and you have to expect problems then there is no reason for manufactures to do a better job. The fact it that there is nothing complex about an rv. They are a truck with very simple plumbing and electrical systems added. Poor quality is from lack of caring in assembly and the industry wide idea of shove it out and make the buyer do the testing that should have been done at the factory. We have manufactures that brag about there beautiful huge repair facilities. If them built things right the first time they wouldn't have them. But they have decided it is cheaper to fix it after as the buyer sits for weeks or months without an rv .
MotorPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 08:07 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy Swede View Post

A person who isn't able to make basic repairs or willing to learn how, is not a good candidate to own a MH.
Not at all. Does everybody who owns a car, house or apartment know how to fix it ?

They should just budget into the purchase price, the costs of upkeep and maintance and not buy something they can't afford to fix.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 08:35 AM   #21

I have to agree with most of the comments in this thread... lots of systems in a package that bounces down terrible roads. The consumers often want bigger with more & more frills in a smoother riding package that gets better mpg. Manufactures are also pressed by government agencies... new required safety equipment and more & more environmental requirements.
And, in the mix, manufactures are trying to improve their bottom line to justify the existence of the company and/or to keep shareholders happy.

I am not defending manufactures... by no means. I think QC is terrible at many RV companies. Not all, but many RV companies hire, mostly, unskilled workers and pay them based on their lack of skills.

RV's are not unique, when it comes to quality issues. Several other products out there with quality issues... if you need an example, you should visit www.CVOHARLEY.com to read about some of the quality issues $40K motorcycles have
TRebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 09:18 AM   #22

15 years, full time, all over the USA, same MH, only a few problems related to the Manufacturer, most are just from use or my stupidity. Would do it all over again.
05 Dolphin #5342
Chuck Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 09:31 AM   #23

I've had very little in the way of problems with my now 12 year old DP.
MonacoMan84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 09:47 AM   #24
YC1

I have had plenty of problems with all of my Rv's. This one is incredibly complex and it has had some difficult problems to say the least.

When someone is thinking about buying an RV of any kind my advice is that you need to be:

1: Handy with tools
2: Handy with a check book
3: Both of the above

4: If you used the RV over the weekend and did not find a problem or something needing attention, you just missed it.
5: Owning the rv is only part of the hobby. Keeping this house built on an earthquake fault is a challenge. It is after all, 10,000 parts flying in close formation.

YC1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 11:30 AM   #25

I have had no problems on our coach today. Everything is working great.
Old 01-05-2018, 11:40 AM   #26

I don’t think it’s that RV’s are poorly built or prone to failure, it’s more the nature of the beast.

How many people do you know that build a nice new house and upon inspections it’s 100% perfect? Or that zero issues introduce the self in the first month or so?

Even buying car, my 2016 Jeep Wrangler was the first new vehicle I purchased that didn’t make a single trip to the dealer except for normal scheduled maintenance. Forget the fact that it had a recall a year or so ago and I haven’t been back to the dealership to get it fixed.

Not all new RV’s have issues, some do and I would bet usually a very small percentage.
NC25T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 12:05 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy Swede View Post

A person who isn't able to make basic repairs or willing to learn how, or can't afford to take their coach to dealerships or independent shops for maintenance and repairs, is not a good candidate to own a MH.
I agree with the above!!

'97 Country Coach Intrigue
BRex45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 01:26 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Not at all. Does everybody who owns a car, house or apartment know how to fix it ?

They should just budget into the purchase price, the costs of upkeep and maintance and not buy something they can't afford to fix.
But wouldn't you be saying that a car, house, or apartment has the same level of complexity and required maintenance as a MH? I spend far more time maintaining the beast than I do our house or cars.

I should have been more explicit and added "unless money is no object." Being a veritable Jack Benny, that thought would never occur to me.
Sandy Swede is offline   Reply With Quote