Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-28-2017, 11:25 AM   #1

What kind of locksmith

I tried to revive an old thread about this subject, but even though I checked the box acknowledging that I was aware it was very old, it would not post. So, just to save everyone the time, we don't need input on whether or not to leave as-is, or re-key, but rather if we do, what trade is the best bet to do it right (specifically taking into account the main door to the house.) Thanks!

We just bought our first RV this last April 2017, so we are very new to this. After reading all of these posts, there are good arguments for both sides of the issue... to re-key or to not re-key. Probably because this is our first RV, and even though it is three years old, we're still in the honeymoon phase. My question is, if we decide to re-key everything... cockpit doors, house door, and bins... would you take it to a regular locksmith? One of the posts mentioned that. Even for the main house door (which we could take the opportunity to upgrade to a deadbolt/keyless entry lock?) Or, should we go to an RV repair shop, perhaps bringing the locks we want to use? My hubby and I both have some serious physical constraints, and aren't interested in trying to do this ourselves. Thanks for any feedback/personal experience with locksmiths.
csprings74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-28-2017, 12:35 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club

If your locks function, the only need to rekey the locks would be to add to security. No matter how secure the lock, a determined thief could break in.

I worked in public schools for over 30 years. Early on we'd lock our desks and classroom doors. One weekend every door was damaged to enter, every locked desk pried open, requiring replacement of thousands of dollars of damaged equipment. Sound and motion sensors were installed and all doors and drawers left unlocked. Never saw damages or losses like that first break in again.

If you install harder locks, a thief might just use more destructive methods to break in. It's really up to you.

Most locksmiths can deal with the locks on RVs, call around. They may ask you to bring the RV to their business, others will come in a mobil unit and do the work in your driveway.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 12:49 PM   #3
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Congrats on the new rig! Any good locksmith can re-key the locks for you. We had lost the key for the main door lock and the storage bays. The folks at Monaco parts sent me a master key that allowed me to remove the lock cylinders. Once I had one cylinder out I took it to a locksmith who made me a new key to fit all the locks. They can just as easily re-key them, but you will have to take all the cylinders in to them or have them make a service call to your place. Keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 09:07 PM   #4

Thanks for the info and the kind welcomes! I think one of the biggest things, for me, is that apparently the keys to all bins are a generic key that would be compatible with just about any rig.

When we are traveling, our RV won't be terribly vulnerable, because we will probably not stray very far from it, for very long, in a campground. The rest of the time we will be in it, as it is Class C, and aren't towing another vehicle.

Sadly, the stories of theft of which we have heard, are about rigs that are set up in questionable Parks. Not that we have any intention of staying in this sort of location, but to us, it just makes sense that these are areas where people are looking to grab something during the night, etc. will prey upon you, as they probably have a good stash of keys with which to do so.

We are very fortunate in that we will be able to store our motorhome on our property when not traveling. Most likely, at those times, even if someone wants to jump a wall and try the storage bins, they will be empty.

I will always remember a police officer at a neighborhood watch meeting telling our group that the best deterrent against theft or break-ins is a barking dog. Not because it has to be a German Shepherd to physically act as a weapon, but because burglars will go to the easiest places with the least amount of trouble. I think the universally keyed bins would fall into this category. If a burglar can walk up to the back of our rig, and in 5 minutes or less open the door and grab what they can, we would be much more likely to be at risk as opposed to the burglar whose key doesn't fit the lock! Me thinks he or she would say, "on to the next one where my key works." Again, it's just about being a deterrent.

If a rig is towing a car and is being left parked all day while its unsuspecting owners are off having a nice day at the beach, I can definitely believe that if someone wants in, and they have the time, they will get in anyway, anyhow.

I'm trying to talk my hubby into doing some boondocking. Now, I'm not talking about staying 10 miles from the nearest civilization, but even in a slightly remote location, with a few other families in the area, I would sleep better knowing that there was a deadbolt on the latch/locks on the main house door!
Old 05-28-2017, 09:11 PM   #5

Sorry, forgot to add the point of the last thought…

We are just mostly concerned if a regular locksmith who works on your typical door, would be able to deal with the more complicated mechanisms, Especially on the inside of the main door. We would feel terrible if they messed up our interior lever and latch.
Old 05-28-2017, 09:29 PM   #6

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by csprings74 View Post
Sorry, forgot to add the point of the last thought…

We are just mostly concerned if a regular locksmith who works on your typical door, would be able to deal with the more complicated mechanisms, Especially on the inside of the main door. We would feel terrible if they messed up our interior lever and latch.
RV door locks are way down the scale of complicated mechanisms. If you find a locksmith that can't handle an RV door latch, I'd move on to the next one! A certified locksmith, the only kind I've ever used, is trained on a great variety of lock types, not just door locks. Auto doors, ignitions, padlocks, even safe combination locks.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 09:39 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by csprings74 View Post
What leads you to believe an RV entry door lock is a "more complicated mechanism"? T'aint so.

Those door cylinders are wafer-type mechanisms. Easy-peasy, lemon sqeazy!

Given that there's a change key for these cylinders, it's duck-soup-simple.

If you wish something different for your baggage doors, look around this website:
http://ch751.com/our-locks.html

Pop
SpringerPop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 09:41 PM   #8

What is your intent when you decided to re-key everything? Is it because you feel the seller kept some keys? The re-key job will not increase security over the present.
Most MH's do not use the infamous 731 key used on trailers, they have their own style locks. Speaking of storage doors, I have never seen one that can't be opened easily with a large screwdriver or pry bar in less than 2 minutes, of course it destroys the door in the process.
I only know one person who has actually had a break-in of the MH, and he was confronted by the thief exiting the MH carrying a handgun. That was in a very bad part of town where he was having emergency MH repairs performed. The thief had destroyed the entry door gaining access.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 06:47 AM   #9

As for he old saying goes; "Locks only stop honest people."

If a thief wants in the lock will barely slow them down, and if they have a key, they will have the master key as described above and just pull the entire lock cylinder out.

IMHO, re-keying is just a waste of money that's better spent on other things.
Old 05-29-2017, 08:46 AM   #10
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
RV door locks are way down the scale of complicated mechanisms. If you find a locksmith that can't handle an RV door latch, I'd move on to the next one! A certified locksmith, the only kind I've ever used, is trained on a great variety of lock types, not just door locks. Auto doors, ignitions, padlocks, even safe combination locks.

Bob nailed it!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 10:59 PM   #11

I too had heard the story of the bay doors being too accessible, so I found some locks that were "different". So at considerable expense I replaced all of the lock units, making sure to give my DW a key and explained to her that she needs to keep her key with her so she can unlock the bins.

We were packing up and she went out to the electrical compartment to take up the electrical cord. When she came back in, my somewhat frail wife stated that she had some problem getting the bin door open. I asked her if she had her new key with her. She said, "No i didn't need it. When the door had trouble opening up, I just tugged on it real hard and it finally opened right up. I went out to check it and the locking tab on my new, expensive lock had the tab bent to a new, odd 90 degree angle. DARN!
MikeandClaudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 11:54 PM   #12

I want to sincerely thank everyone for replying to my post. I truly do appreciate it when someone will step forward and, at least, interact. I think that SOMEWHERE in the above comments my actual question was answered. As I mentioned, we are newbies, so in the future, I think I will refrain from asking a question on here until I have educated myself about something elsewhere to avoid bringing on so much controversy. Personally, when I was teaching ground school for private pilots I wanted them to feel that there were no stupid questions. That was definitely an area where someone should never feel reluctant to reach out… It could mean their life. This sure doesn't mean my life, but I am chronically ill, and now I'm a little bruised and battered as well! I think the point of this thread has duly run its course. We will consider everyone's input, so again, thank you.
Old 05-30-2017, 02:16 AM   #13

BTW, thanks Pop for the link to the ILH website. If you haven't read the first review on the tubular camlock, it's a must-read!

Also, sorry if this is off topic, but what a beautiful Springer you have for your avatar! Is he/she yours? Man, there's nothing like 'em, is there? Wonderful, wonderful dogs. Our family had two when I was growing up, and my husband's Dad has had three. I'd love to have another Springer sometime, but hubby's VERY allergic. Anyway, great memories!
Old 05-30-2017, 09:11 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
The gold bars in your basement are not safe and never will be, this is tongue in cheek. But the only lock I would replace is the dead bolt and that can be done by the handy neighbor. A d I personally would not even do that.

LEN