Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-23-2013, 04:17 PM   #15

Since there were several types of bits and drivers suggested by discussion group participants I thought I'd touch base with the service guy at Coachmen. While he didn't say what kind of screw they use, he did say they use a #2 square head bit to drive them. Whether or not that's the proper bit for the screw in the photo I posted is anybody's guess. Perhaps I'll pull one of the screws from my RV and take it someplace where I can try out different bits to see which fits best.

Thanks to all who replied.

This is an awesome site!
RussOnTheRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-23-2013, 04:45 PM   #16
YC1

All dead on but for fun I think a Posi Drive Phillips type driver would work too. But a square head is the trick. There is quite a story how the Phillips versus the really good square head drive came to be. All about money.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 04:54 PM   #17

Mid Atlantic Campers
If you're going to own an RV, I would recommend that you invest a little money into a GOOD Robertson bit/Screwdriver. The cheap ones are OK it seems, until you REALLY need them to work well.

I have some bits and a good screwdriver. The screwdriver is great, I'm pretty sure a #2 will be the one you need the most.
Phobos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 08:33 PM   #18

Robertson screwdriver needed
Canadian invention that is far superior to any other screw head
To bad they never caught on south of the border
Old 12-24-2013, 08:24 AM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by dezolen View Post
Robertson screwdriver needed
Canadian invention that is far superior to any other screw head
To bad they never caught on south of the border
The Square bit (Robertson) is pretty popular in deck screws, built a couple as far back as early 90's, beat the devil out of a Phillips head deck screw.
Old 12-24-2013, 12:59 PM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
No winner/prizes for anyone yet!! Further down in the Wiki reference that Route66 posed is the real answer:

"The Phillips/square screw drive, also known as the Quadrex screw drive, is a combination of the Phillips and Robertson screw drives. While a standard Phillips or Robertson tool can be used, there is also a dedicated tool for it that increases the surface area between the tool and the fastener so it can handle more torque.[29] This drive was formerly also sold by Home Depot under the name Deck Mate, which now signifies another drive."

There is a drawing on the Wiki reference.
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 04:12 PM   #21

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmac View Post
No winner/prizes for anyone yet!! Further down in the Wiki reference that Route66 posed is the real answer:

"The Phillips/square screw drive, also known as the Quadrex screw drive, is a combination of the Phillips and Robertson screw drives. While a standard Phillips or Robertson tool can be used, there is also a dedicated tool for it that increases the surface area between the tool and the fastener so it can handle more torque.[29] This drive was formerly also sold by Home Depot under the name Deck Mate, which now signifies another drive."

There is a drawing on the Wiki reference.
Anyone remember when it was only the Slot, Phillips, and the dreaded Clutch Head that GM used??
Old 12-24-2013, 04:21 PM   #22

What tool

Try a Robertson #8 or #6, lots of these on my unit.
Old 12-24-2013, 05:48 PM   #23

Home Depot sells a bit for this application designated "2PH SQ" which fits correctly.As others have stated,a Robertson #2 will work perfectly. In fact this is a variation on Snap-On Tools patented "Flank Drive" principle which drove their socket and box wrench production since the mid 1970s. Their nut-turning products did not contact on the corners of the hex but rather,at a point just back of the corner where the fastener is stronger and much less likely to"round off". I guess this sort of innovative engineering is their justification for charging such wild prices for their stuff.

DIY Rear Panhard Rod
exrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 05:50 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denlor View Post
Try a Robertson #8 or #6, lots of these on my unit.
You may have missed my earlier post, not the original thread starter, but one I made later. After reading replies to my original post suggesting various bit types I contacted Coachmen and was told they use a #2 square bit for their RVs.

I went to Home Depot and for $15 bought a Milwaukee manual screw driver set with maybe 10 different bits that store in the handle. It has #1, 2 and 3 square, some flats Philips... maybe another type or two.
2018 Arctic Fox 29-5T 5th wheel, 760 watts of rooftop solar, four 6 volt Lifeline AGM batteries, 2800 watt Magnum inverter, 1000 watt Aims inverter, Progressive PMS, Hughes Autoformer; 2017 Ford F350 XLT Supercab diesel dually 4x4
Old 12-24-2013, 06:46 PM   #25

General info. I've used the Robertson for years, and if you have a Fastenal industrial supply in your area they carry the bits AND and large supply of the screws (self tapping) in stainless. Every size you need and reasonably priced. Great for RVs and boats.
Mike_Harriet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 07:01 PM   #26

Pick-up a set something like this and most likely will have the bit you need every time.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2470206661.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	474.5 KB
ID:	52616  
Xmovieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 07:14 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xmovieman View Post
Pick-up a set something like this and most likely will have the bit you need every time.
Probably true but they take up a lot of space.

Are they intended for use with a powered driver/drill or can they be used with a manual handle as shown in the attached photo? If the former only, it would take up more room yet and add a lot of weight and expense not to mention the hassle of keeping one charged, if it's a rechargeable model.

The Milwaukee 10-in-1 Square Drive Multi Bit Driver I bought won't do all the jobs a big set of bits and a power driver will do, but it will probably do most things I encounter at a lower cost to acquire, store and transport. It takes up no more room than an ordinary screwdriver and doesn't way much more.

There will come a time when I wish I had a big set of bits... Thanks for the suggestion.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	milwaukee_10-in-one.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	266.0 KB
ID:	52617