Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-29-2021, 08:13 AM   #1

What pan to use in convection microwave

So I have been looking for a pan or two to use in my high pointe convection microwave. I was thinking glass would certainly be fine but its not,I guess. Its fine for microwave but not for grilling which is basically what that heating element will do on the top. Also using the feature of 1/3 micro and 2/3rds baking or roasting. So what is the perfect pans for using this high tech oven.

Thanks!
Dave
dustydave is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-29-2021, 09:12 AM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
I am no expert, but when on convection oven setting, my DW uses a metal pan.

But metal is not good for microwave cooking.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 09:14 AM   #3

Damon Owners Club
glass should be fine. It's not just the heating element on top, but it's the fan that blows the hot air around. It will also be safe for microwaving.
Old 08-29-2021, 09:18 AM   #4
Travel Nurse Chauffeur

Monaco Owners Club
Microwave convection oven have been around for many years. Glass is fine for both. Plastic for microwave or metal for convection. Do not use metal for combination cooking.
vyndance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 09:24 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryStone View Post
glass should be fine. It's not just the heating element on top, but it's the fan that blows the hot air around. It will also be safe for microwaving.
Agree^^.

Convection cooking, by definition, is cooking with heated air and the only way to heat the air in a convection/microwave unit is with a heating element. Convection cooking also rapidly removes moisture from around the item being cooked, creating a crisper outside while retaining moisture inside. Though the top of the item may get cooked "crisper," you are not actually grilling the item or broiling it when using the convection setting.

Since you intend to use the combination microwave/conventional cooking feature, a glass pan will be necessary.

Something to note. Not all non-metallic pans are microwave recommended, not all glass pans are oven safe. I'm sure if a glass pan is advertised as a baking pan, it is fine for both oven and microwave. Certain ceramic pans, can absorb microwaves, become hot themselves, and alter the ability of the microwaves to cook the item inside.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 11:35 AM   #6

Remove microwave round glass pan when convection cooking.
Old 08-29-2021, 12:31 PM   #7

Entegra Owners Club

Never heard of that! Why?
Cousin Ed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 12:40 PM   #8

Corningware
NorthernDriv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 06:00 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernDriv View Post
Corningware

X-2. Corning Ware is what we use.
mrboyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 09:38 PM   #10
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
We use a Pyrex glass pan to cook chicken at 375 for 35 minutes.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 03:25 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ljwt330 View Post
Agree^^.

Convection cooking, by definition, is cooking with heated air and the only way to heat the air in a convection/microwave unit is with a heating element. Convection cooking also rapidly removes moisture from around the item being cooked, creating a crisper outside while retaining moisture inside. Though the top of the item may get cooked "crisper," you are not actually grilling the item or broiling it when using the convection setting.

Since you intend to use the combination microwave/conventional cooking feature, a glass pan will be necessary.

Something to note. Not all non-metallic pans are microwave recommended, not all glass pans are oven safe. I'm sure if a glass pan is advertised as a baking pan, it is fine for both oven and microwave. Certain ceramic pans, can absorb microwaves, become hot themselves, and alter the ability of the microwaves to cook the item inside.
For some that is difficult to grasp, the term convection throws them a curve. In this instance it is simply a 1,500W electric oven with a circulating fan.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 05:23 AM   #12

Thanks all. Looks like glass is the way to go. I was thinking that but some of the warnings on the glass pans made it look like it was iffy. I was a aware of what a convection oven is and how it works. Thanks!
dustydave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 05:34 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cousin Ed View Post

Never heard of that! Why?

Mine blew up and after reading directions it says remove.
Old 08-31-2021, 06:57 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandec View Post
When on convection oven setting, my DW uses a metal pan.
When using the convection setting of a microwave/convection oven we ALWAYS leave the rotating glass or ceramic plate in place. Then we place a metal rack on top of that to allow the circulating air move around and under what we're cooking.

For one example:
We'll take a regular metal cookie sheet, wrap it with foil, place fresh cut french fries on the metal pan, oil them down and season them. Then place the the foil covered pan on top of the metal rack—which is on the glass plate of the oven—and bake them @ 375º for 40 minutes. During those 40 minutes the pan is rotating and cooking evenly. Best crispy fries ever.

So in conclusion—any cookware—that you would use in a regular oven, you can use in a convection oven. Use a metal rack to raise the cookware for even cooking. Do not remove the rotating glass/ceramic platter on the bottom of the oven.
mr.tommy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
microwave