Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-16-2010, 06:16 AM   #1

Send a message via MSN to Sameeee
what size generator

I have a small 79 mobile traveler, I think it's about a 17 foot have not mesured it, we are not into campgrounds. and want to be able to camp in out of the way places, I am thinking of getting a generator. but don't know what size would be the best for this little rig. any advice on this would be great
Sameeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-16-2010, 07:11 AM   #2
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
It all depends on what you plan on running on the generator.

If just for a few lights, the entertainment equipment, and to charge the battery, a small 1,000 watt portable such as the Honda EU1000i would do the job nicely. If you plan on running an air conditioner and/or an electric water heater on it then you could go up to a 3,000 watt or even a 4,000 watt.

Keep in mind a 3,600 watt gennie will deliver 30 amps @ 120 volts which is most likely all your RV is rated to use. Unless you have a 50 amp rig, a larger gennie would be overkill.
Old 05-16-2010, 07:40 AM   #3

thanks, I would want to run the a/c, frig, and lights, but mostly the frig and lights, don't have a water heater yet.
Old 05-16-2010, 07:55 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Like Hitchhiker said it depends on what you do. Figure out what you max watt consumption is and size a generator accordingly. 1000 watts will power all the lights entertainment and battery charging needs. 2000 watts will also power hair dryers, microwaves, toasters. 3000 watts is required if you want/need to power air conditioners. Inverter generators with eco throttles are the best choice (like Honda) as there speed/noise varies with the load on them. For example the Honda 2000 with only a 100 or 200 watt load will run close to idle but to run a 1500 toaster it will run at full speed and make much more noise and burn a lot more gas.
Stillwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 10:33 AM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
One more point to keep in mind is the physical size and weight of the generator. Also where are you going to mount it.

Cheers
Willey
WilleyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 09:07 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

The fridge and lights run on 12v anyway (plus LP gas for the fridge). All you need to do is to recharge the battery once in awhile. A small generator will handle that easily, running a few hours a day.

The a/c is a different story, as Hitchhiker has described.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 09:35 AM   #7

Depending on the size of your A/C, a Honda EU2000 may run it. A friend has a 13.4K A/C and can run it on his EU2K here below sea level near the Salton Sea. However, he has gone up the road to an elevation of about 1000 feet and it won't run it. So, if your A/C is smaller than a 13.4K unit a EU2000 should run it where ever you go. The Honda units aren't cheap $850-1000 but they are rugged, small and quiet. The active word here is quiet, if you see 5000Watt generators for sale at $300.00 avoid them like the H1N1 flu, the noise will jar your fillings loose and you won't be making friends with your neighbors:-).

Margaret - She who must be obeyed.
Tincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 12:44 PM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
My MH has a Onan 5.5 but I also have a Honda EU3000i and it is one of the best tools I have and use it quite often. I cant tell you what size is best for you, but I would rather have more generator then not enough. The only bad part about the 3000 is it is a bit heavy (120 lbs) and its best lifted with two people. Now they do make a wheel kit for it, or you can make your own for a few dollars. I have seen several people buy 2 Honda EU2000 and get the jump cable to link them together making 4000. The nice part about this is the ability to only run one and then turn the second one on when more power is needed and lifting or moving two smaller generators is nice. The Honda 3000 will run for about 10-15 hours on a tank unless running at full load. Then we get maybe 7 hours on a tank of fuel

What ever you do, dont go cheap! Buy a good quality, quiet generator the the first time or you will end up spending your money twice as you will eventually be buying one.
dezertcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 12:54 PM   #9

thanks all for the advice, got son keeping an eye out for one, will be buying used as I can't afford new yet, was looking into solar too just to keep the battery charged,