Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-08-2015, 07:57 PM   #1

What size Inverter For Running 24" TV While Running ?

Kids want to watch 24" TV while running and would prefer an inverter instead of running the generator. What size inverter ? and would you wire it straight to the running battery of the class C RV, with a fuse of course.

The class C is built on a Chevy Chassis with 7.4 L motor. Would only run the inverter while the rv motor is running. Would run the generator if we were stopped.

Appreciate the help, Thanks
Fourwinds28A is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-08-2015, 08:31 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
I have a 800 watt one and it runs TV and sat. But make sure it is new style flat screen.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 09-08-2015, 09:06 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johndale View Post
I have a 800 watt one and it runs TV and sat. But make sure it is new style flat screen.

Thanks for the reply, yes it's a new flat screen.
How do you have yours wired up ?
Fourwinds28A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 09:18 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Just a thought. Many of the newer flat screens actually run on 12v power. If your TV has a transformer, check the output on the transformer label. You may find it is a 12v output. If that's the case, just wire the TV directly to 12v. No need to start at 120v just to reduce it back down to 12v.
jt
JT, Em & the boys, Kong & Baxter (rescued grey tabbies)
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 07:15 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Mine I hard wired it up front overhead so I can run the tv just on battery if wanted. But the converters come with cigarette lighter adaptor on them.

Old 09-10-2015, 05:20 PM   #6

The smaller inverters like 400 watt will only put out about 100 watts when plugged into a lighter socket. To get the full rated output they must be hardwired with a substantially sized wire
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 05:59 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
The difference between1000 Watt and 2000 watt is so minimal I buy the bigger ones. You can hard wire it to the coach batteries with a 30 amp breaker and # 2 wire you can buy at any car audio place. I just plug mine into the 110 shore power plug when on the road. then you have power any wear in the coach. If you overload it trips the breaker. It has to be unplugged to use the shore power so you can't accidentally feed 110 to it. It's enough to run all the TV's and sat boxes.
amosnandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 07:49 AM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
Two items:

1) Harleyjt mentioned that your current TV may work on 12 volts. Many TVs will work on 12 volts, even though they aren't advertised or marketed as such. Here is a link to see if yours will operate on 12 volts:

Will a 120 volt TV work on 12 volts DC – MAYBE | 2001 Coachmen Mirada 300QB

2) - I added a small inverter so I could run small 120 volt stuff (cell phone / laptop chargers, etc) while traveling down the road. I installed a gray colored outlet and labeled it INVERTER. I can turn this inverter ON/OFF and it runs off the chassis battery, not the coach battery.

Installing small 400 watt inverter | 2001 Coachmen Mirada 300QB

Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 08:42 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourwinds28A View Post
Kids want to watch 24" TV while running and would prefer an inverter instead of running the generator. What size inverter ? and would you wire it straight to the running battery of the class C RV, with a fuse of course.
The class C is built on a Chevy Chassis with 7.4 L motor. Would only run the inverter while the rv motor is running. Would run the generator if we were stopped.
Appreciate the help, Thanks
Fourwinds28A
You need an inverter with 120AC with a watt output slightly greater than the 120VAC watt input used/needed by your TV....(as indicated on the label of the TV).
I use a 400 watt MSW inverter, wired directly to my house batteries, to run my 24" LED TV and my DirecTV receiver simultaneously, (both when traveling and when parked or camping without shore power).
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 07:35 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Wattage

Probably the most valuable tool I have for setting any of this electrical stuff up is the what meter. You can buy them at Menards, Home Depot or Lowes for around $15. You plug the male end into an outlet, the female is what you plug you appliance, tv, toaster, microwave whatever. Turn the appliance on and the watt meter shows how much it is drawing. Mine reads up to 1440 watts. More than you ever want coming out of one outlet.
amosnandy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverter