Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-26-2016, 10:46 AM   #57

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTTransplant View Post
I always told my kids that you can't tell how much money people have, only how much they spend...
And that they might be in debt up to the eyeballs!
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-26-2016, 12:54 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ciderdog View Post
Or they have or had a great job and made wise life decisions / investments that afford them some great luxuries .

You guys make it sound shameful for someone to have something nice. Just because people have nice things does not have to mean they are showoffs, stuck up or purchased above their means. Wow.
Old 01-26-2016, 01:18 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by raineman View Post
Or they have or had a great job and made wise life decisions / investments that afford them some great luxuries .

You guys make it sound shameful for someone to have something nice. Just because people have nice things does not have to mean they are showoffs, stuck up or purchased above their means. Wow.
X2....a lot of people out there assume that those of us who worked hard and made good decisions/investments are stupid for buying nice things that we may have saved for and not be in debt at all. To each his own on how you choose to spend your money, but hard work/good decisions do pay off and you can't assume anything as you know what that does. Life is pretty simple treat others well, and if they don't respect you the same, regardless of financial status, move on.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 01:46 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike and Cha View Post
X2....a lot of people out there assume that those of us who worked hard and made good decisions/investments are stupid ....
A RV is like a candy.

Yesterday I saw Serena Williams, playing a Tennis game. She took at midtime what look like a candy bar.

It means that some people, like her, can really afford eating a candy because they make good diet decisions. But it is clear that it is not the majority of those that eat a BIG candy that make good diet decisions.

But this decision is personnal and not our business. The problem is the way some interact with people having a smaller or cheaper RVs.
Old 01-26-2016, 01:55 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbilodeau View Post
But this decision is personnal and not our business. The problem is the way some interact with people having a smaller or cheaper RVs.
That goes both ways. Some people who have RV Envy are also part of the problem by assuming someone who has a nicer rig is going to have a problem interacting with them
Old 01-26-2016, 01:59 PM   #62

Damon Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jondrew View Post
"]Like someone else said, just move on. Life's too short

That's why they put wheels on motorhomes
Old 01-26-2016, 02:30 PM   #63

Crap!I just sold my 2.1millon Prevost Marathon coach and bought a 97 Allegro Bus for 15 thousand just so I could fit in. >
swampdog2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 03:04 PM   #64

Quote:
That goes both ways. Some people who have RV Envy are also part of the problem by assuming someone who has a nicer rig is going to have a problem interacting with them
You are right. I had situations like this with a previous nice house and some would simply treat me like an agressor. It was an "act of war" just to own something better or more expensive. I was not snob but they did not mind, the war was declared.
Old 01-26-2016, 06:16 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbilodeau View Post
A RV is like a candy.

Yesterday I saw Serena Williams, playing a Tennis game. She took at midtime what look like a candy bar.

It means that some people, like her, can really afford eating a candy because they make good diet decisions. But it is clear that it is not the majority of those that eat a BIG candy that make good diet decisions.

Read my whole post you missed the most important part which was the last sentence, maybe that is why you don't see the answer to your original question is within yourself and how you deal with issues like this. We are not all the same.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 06:29 PM   #66

X2 Mike and Charlotte! I don't see older RV'S when I pull into a campground. In fact, I just see RV's. I look forward to meeting all and sharing good times instead of talking about how good or bad anyone's RV is. I could care less what got you there and care more about laughing and stories around a campfire.
Old 01-27-2016, 12:56 PM   #67

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTTransplant View Post
I always told my kids that you can't tell how much money people have, only how much they spend...
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ciderdog View Post
Quote:

I think you took the comments wrong. No one said it is shameful for someone to have something nice, or they are show offs, stuck up or purchased beyond there means. I tend to think I have nice things and am happy with my status in life but I do try to get my kids to understand that being in debt is not a real good way to spend money.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 03:24 PM   #68

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Invite them over for wine, bbqs, a movie or dinner as much as you can. I've been full time since I was 51 years old. I love every minute of it and if your new neighbors get sick of you loving your life style, they will move on. There are only 8 or 9 really mean people on the planet, they just move around a lot . Enjoy the life style, I know we do 150% better than living in a traditional neighborhood. Don't let them ruin it for you.
Rick 2005 Dolphin 5376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 03:33 PM   #69

Jayco Owners Club
Ignore them....... completely.
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 06:35 PM   #70

I suggested people should spend their time on things that are positive and make them happy. I still think that is a good plan.

Many here are spending their time either saying someone in an expensive RV is showing off, or not showing off, are bragging or are not bragging, are uppity or not uppity.

All of them are right. Every title is both accurate and also wrong. Look at enough $1M RV coaches, and you will find both nice people who are the salt of the earth, and you will find people who are full of themselves, boorish and rude. Mostly you will find people somewhere between those extremes.

If you look at enough $1thousand RVs, and you will find both nice people who are the salt of the earth, and you will find people who are full of themselves, boorish and rude. Mostly you will find people somewhere between those extremes.

I have an older RV, and don't have a $1M to spend on a coach. If I had the Million $, I may or may not have one. If I had several millions, I most likely would. I like them. I love some of the really cool and impressive coaches I have seen, and that some of my friends have.

But, I have no friends because of their coaches, and don't plan to have their possessions as part of my friend choosing matrix.

I also have some friends who occasionally play the fool, or occasionally say boorish things. All of my friends also have a friend in me who also has been known to do those things. I tolerate my friend's shortcomings, and they tolerate mine. If either of us demonstrated too many faults of character, we loose our friends.

But these character issues have nothing to do with the cost of a person's toys.

I meant that last line, when I started typing it, but by the time I finished typing the previous sentence, I realized it was wrong.

In the past, I have seen friends spend money on large toys, nice cars, and other visuals, while missing the importance of truly more important things in their lives, like family and caring for one another. Frequently, one looses the toys in the divorce as well. If you spend too much effort on foolish pursuits, and not enough on worthy ones, your life will be shallow and weak. It may be weak and shallow with nice shiny toys, but that will be poor consolation in the wee hours of the night when alone.

Enough of this. As I have said before, nice people often come from dull places, and dull people often come from nice places.

Spend your time with quality people, and let the rest waft away. Smile, have fun, help your neighbor to smile as well, and you will have a good day...
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote