Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-02-2010, 10:48 AM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I got a treated 2x10, ten feet long if I can remember, and cut it into lengths that just fit side by side into our smallest compartment. 8 pieces total. If I am parking on soft ground where I think the wood might crack, I just use two pieces stacked opposite directions. Simple and works good for me. I use the extra pieces to prop up my sewer hose so it drains.
CJ7ole is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-02-2010, 11:32 AM   #16

Alpine Owners Club
I tried using the cutting boards but when I used them on a somewhat soft surface, they bowed and looked like a soup bowl. Now I use Jack Pads from Summit Products. Mine are 1" thick plastic and measure 16 x 16.

Name:   9-2-2010 12-12-02 PM.jpg
Views: 212
Size:  10.1 KB

They have a handle machined in one corner and a hole in the opposite corner. (to hook it with a awning rod)

I have used fabricated wood pads in the past but to get the strength that I need, they need to be pretty thick plus wood pads are tough to keep clean.

These babies from Summit are indestructable and relatively light weight and easy to clean. They take up a minimum of space too. They are not cheap, but will last you forever !

Here's a link to their web site

Jack Pads and Outriggers

If you call there, talk to Al. He is very knowledgable and very helpful too.
Old 09-02-2010, 03:27 PM   #17
paz

redmule, if you're going to spend the winter in Florida, many of the RV parks are sand/dirt/grass, including the one we stay at. In most of them, the ground is pretty well-packed and fairly hard, not at all like beach sand. We have no problem with the tires sinking in, and we use 10" X 10" pads under the jacks. The pads sink in a little over the course of the winter, but they increase the footprint of the jack enough so it won't bury itself.

In the west, most of the sand is mixed with gravel, so there isn't a problem with the tires sinking in there either.

There are lots of possibilities for jack pads from those that are commercially available to ones that are home-made. Whatever you decide to go with, just remember a diesel chassis with a GVWR of about 29K will likely have a rear axle rating of about 17K. That's over 8,000 pounds on each rear jack if you're near the max weight. Wood can crack, thin plastic can bend.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 06:13 PM   #18

National RV Owners Club
I've done pretty much what others have, in my case cut 2X12's into "squares" but also drilled a 1/2 inch hole in opposite corners so I can take my window awning rod and push the blocks around and/or pull them out. I also have a couple of 2X12's that are 18 or 24 inches long to drive up on if need be to help level. My 2X12's also cracked and so put 1/2 inch plywood on one side and so far that is adequate. I also am getting to where it is much easier to use some type of extension rod to handle these little things.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 06:58 PM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I use those square yellow plastic pads most of the time unless the ground is really dry and firm.
DutchStar38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 03:25 PM   #20

Fleetwood Owners Club
FWIW, Iv heard of some campers using a set of pads made from a thick rubber mat used in the bottom of horse trailers.
Personally, Im using the yellow lego type on ours.
Old 09-10-2010, 09:15 PM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
overkill I guess. Mine are triple layer 3/4" plywood, 16" square. I have six of them, the extras help if the site is way out of level.
I use em on any surface other than concrete or gravel.
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 09:26 PM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
I've used the orange lego type under my jacks too but they don't do well in really soft soil, I have bent up a couple to prove it! I'm looking into some of these "overkill" options now, too!

Stewart
Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote