Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-01-2010, 08:24 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
What to do in parks without hard surface pads

I am sure this has been asked and answered here before, but none of my searches have come up with and answer.

Now bear in mind I am a rank novice at this.

One of the RV parks we are considering for this winter does not have concrete or asphalt pads. (mainly sand as I was told)

Does this create and problems for a DSDP with approx GVW of 29K pounds. Is it necessary to use something under the jack feet (pads) not sure of the correct nomenclature yet?

Thanks in advance.
redmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-01-2010, 08:29 PM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
A couple of years ago we stayed at an RV park on the Colorado River that was sand. We needed a number of blocks under each jack as they would slowly sink into the sand. We have a gross weight of about 28K.
Old 09-01-2010, 09:14 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
I use a 10X10 inch plywood pad. I made them out of 3/4 plywood and screwed 2 of them stacked together. Haven't had a problem.
desertrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 09:46 PM   #4

We spent the past winter in Corpus on a sand site. Summer/Winter 2006-2007 we spent on sand in S GA. We used boards to level with. we didn't "sink". But we are also in a small Class C. For sand you need to disperse the weight over a wider area, so a wide pad under the tires (or a thick plywood base) would be good.
Lorna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 11:41 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by redmule View Post
I am sure this has been asked and answered here before, but none of my searches have come up with and answer.

Now bear in mind I am a rank novice at this.

One of the RV parks we are considering for this winter does not have concrete or asphalt pads. (mainly sand as I was told)

Does this create and problems for a DSDP with approx GVW of 29K pounds. Is it necessary to use something under the jack feet (pads) not sure of the correct nomenclature yet?

Thanks in advance.
we use walmart or other discount store cutting boards under our jacks. they are about .4'' thick and come in different sizes. ours are about 12'' x 12''. they work well for us on sand, grass, gravel, asphalt, and concrete.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L 5sp allison SW Wa,. Good Sam, SKP. RVM 198 AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. Michelins, TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '21MB GLA FWD on dolly
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 05:00 AM   #6
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
I too use the Walmart cutting boards. Mine are about 12" x 18" as my jack pads are almost 10" square.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 06:53 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Keep in mind also that on asphalt, if parking for any length of time, pads are recommended also. Seen a lot of holes in asphalt caused by jacks.

Concrete is usually much stronger and does not cause a problem.

I too have double thickness of 3/4" marine plywood 14X14 and they stack in storage good and do a really good job. I also screwed eye hooks in one side of each so I could use awning rod to pull them back out ( the old knees don't bend as good as they did a few years back ). CW and others sell pads but they look more flimsy to me.
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 07:19 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
I dry camp in a lot of non-typical areas at rock crawling events. After bending a jack in soft earth, I took a sheet of 3/4" marine plywood and cut it into 20" circles with a jig saw. I use these also to assist in leveling in real unlevel places.

In the beginning, I used the commercially available cutting board type with the metal handles for sliding them under. But, they all broke, so I made my own.
38 Special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 07:21 AM   #9

I got some of those bright orange pads from Camping World. They have actually held up great and they are light weight. I can put one down on one side and while I'm down there flip another one to the other side so I am not carrying them all the way around. Plus, the bright color is a good reminder that they are still there and need to be put up when breaking camp.

Don
akadeadeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 07:33 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Sand doesn't necessarily mean it is going to sink. Our home base is in north central Florida and the coach sits on sandy soil 4-5 months of the year. No problem at all. The coach weighs 32k lbs and the jack "feet" are 11" diameter circles (fairly large). Regular dirt is much more problematic, especially when it rains. At least sandy soil drains well and quickly.

It doesn't hurt yo carry some wood blocks/pads though, as the other described. They can come in handy for leveling too. I don't like to lift a wheel clear off the ground, so drive up onto a wood pad is needed to retain some contact, and I can use them under the jacks if the surface is soft.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 08:24 AM   #11
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
All the above, but I did it a little different. I used 2 x 10" treaded board cut to about 16 inches and topped with a 5/8" piece of plywood. The plywood keeps the wood plank together as plywood will bend with the torque whereas the plank will split. I have been carrying these in my very front compartment, which seems to be made for this, along with two bags of those plastic blocks. Everything fits real nicely in the compartment.

The above serves two purposes. One, it can be used in sandy/soft soil to prevent the pads from sinking in. Two, they can be used to level the coach in those circumstances where one side needs to be higher, or the front wheels come off the ground a little. I have been using this system for two years and it has helped me in all situations that I have been in.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 08:47 AM   #12

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Using any type of pad under the jack foot is a good idea. I use a 2x10 with 3/4" plywood and a plastic pad all screwed together (plastic pad on top). That might be overkill but I've seen some 3/4" ply pads sunk down into the mud several inches. I do recommend a plastic pad between the jack foot and what ever you use next to ground. I have read this is a good way to insulate if your rig is struck by lightning. Wet wood will conduct electricity.
Vegasdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 09:11 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by akadeadeye View Post
I got some of those bright orange pads from Camping World. They have actually held up great and they are light weight....
We have 2 bags of those (Lynx Levelers) plus the interlocking wheel chocks. We cracked one pad in sand in a private site in GA. Bent it in half. Wound up leveling with chunks of wood. The campground we ended up spending most of our time it, used them again with no problem. We don't care for them in the loose sand. But they have worked well under our stabilizer jacks. Mostly we use them to level the food cart. They would be okay for the Class C on a firm surface but I think the skoolie would flatten them.
Lorna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 09:21 AM   #14

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The biggest problem with a sand pad is getting it out of your carpet after you track it in.

Concrete: Best, provided it is done right
Asphault.. Not really a good idea, I've seen a bunch of asphalut pads with jack size holes in them where the rig punched right through
Crushed rock/Gravel: Good option, what I'm parked on now
Packed dirt/Grass,, Likewise, do drop a jack pad though when parked on sand/dirt/grass to spread the load