Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-08-2013, 10:51 AM   #15

It is really encouraging that some of you had no problems at all. When I hear comments like, "Buy slightly used, that way the previous owner will have fixed the initial problems..." I get very discouraged.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-08-2013, 12:12 PM   #16

I had one rather funny problem. I brought my brand new fiver home and wanted to check everything out. To test for plumbing leaks, I filled the fresh water tank and turned on the pump.

After 3 days, the tank was empty and the pump was running continuously. This seemed strange, because fot the 3 days that it was on, I had never heard it running at at.

I refilled the tank and waited. Sure enough, 3 days later it was empty again. I filled it once more and set about looking for the leak. When I crawled underneath, I found it. The drain valve was open, but it was so packed with sawdust, that it took 3 days to empty the tank.

Now, I would expect to find sawdust in the heater ducts and various other "hidden" places, but how on earth did they manage to get sawdust into the fresh water tank?

Joel
J Birder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 04:29 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. M View Post
It is really encouraging that some of you had no problems at all. When I hear comments like, "Buy slightly used, that way the previous owner will have fixed the initial problems..." I get very discouraged.
Perception is everything. What might be a disaster to some will barely cause a ripple to another. I'll just say that if you go in expecting perfection, you will likely be disappointed. Nothing is perfect. (It also helps if you are a "handy" person with some working knowledge of the basic systems. You can then determine for yourself what is disastrous. )
Old 01-09-2013, 09:11 AM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
I had many issues starting with the dealer who I had to turn in to the AZ DMV for not paying the registration on time. The coach had many issues, the worst was the water heater which I replaced. In the first 6 months I repaired about 25 issues. Only a couple were major. Most were poor workmanship and the rest poor design.
Old 01-09-2013, 10:17 AM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
We bought slightly used, but still had a few gotchas. Thankfully we had a pretty tight warranty and service agreement with the shop where we bought the rig. We "worked out" our rig locally for many months and got everything repaired at the original shop before we went on the road.

The first thing that happened was our stovetop melted. Turned out the gas lines were improperly installed and i guess the previous owner never used the stove (!).That was the scariest incident of them all. Repaired for free by the shop.

Second the solenoid on our generator failed....replaced for free by the shop.

Third was some rust under the unit...repaired and resealed for free by the shop.

Forth our TV antenna was broken...repaired for free by the shop.

Fifth but much later (a year and a half later) was our slide sagged and started leaking..not really a "new" motorhome issue, but the only other real problem we've had. This we paid for partially ourselves and partially with our extended warranty.
Old 01-09-2013, 12:24 PM   #20

Freightliner Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
So far, so good - just minor things that would not impact any trips.

(I hope to be saying this again in the Spring when we take it back out of hibernation!)

go6car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 12:35 PM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
worst RV issues

Accepting that any RV problem that leaves you stranded on the road and cuts into your schedule is the absolute worst, the next worst problem has to be roof/wall leaks. I've spent the last month ripping out damaged OSB and laminate and tracking down the improperly riveted seam between the roof aluminum and the fiberglass side panel. This is a ten year old Holiday Rambler Endeavor, and the rivets weren't even expanded, never mind that the holes for the rivets didn't penetrate the steel frame rail in this one area, allowing the panel to spring out enough to delaminate the sealant. This had been going on since the unit was new, but we only bought it last year and found the problem during the summer rains. I wish they used better materials, like marine grade or water resistant OSB...
Freedmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 01:09 PM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
After I retired as a Building Inspector, I was convinced (DW: "Get out of the house") to go into the Home Inspection Service business for new and used high end houses. My fee was outrageous but had a steady line of customers.
Some houses required only one day, some a lot more. These inspections took place after the customer did a walk through punch list.
If you knew what was discovered during my inspection, you would never buy another stick and brick house again.
By comparison, my opinion only, todays new RVs are great. Buying someone else's problem is never the answer.

Kerry
two-niner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:46 AM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
I have never quite understood the thinking of those that expect the first owners to have cured all of the problems that may have existed from the factory. I have known people to buy a new car and never check the oil, in fact they would drive it without ever changing the oil during their ownership. I guess my trust in people is ............

I have cringed at what some people will drive and still claim it is the best thing since sliced bread! I do admit to buying a loaf of French bread, a bottle of wine and some cheese without owning an slicer. Best bread and cheese I ever had!
Old 01-10-2013, 08:17 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis_K View Post
I had many issues starting with the dealer who I had to turn in to the AZ DMV for not paying the registration on time. The coach had many issues, the worst was the water heater which I replaced. In the first 6 months I repaired about 25 issues. Only a couple were major. Most were poor workmanship and the rest poor design.
25 issues a in six months?....that sounds about right!
I've had nearly 50 "issues" every year for the 10 years I've owned this coach.
Not only are most RVs built poorly but things break and wear out...... the maintenance and upkeep can break you.....(but, I'm lucky 'cause I own one of the 'GOOD' ones). LOL

Mel
'96 Safari Sahara, 128k miles
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 08:31 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full.Monte View Post
I think that you should think of a MH as a boat on wheels. The old adage about boat ownership is "It's a hole in the water you pour money into".
A MH is a hole in the asphalt you pour... well, you get the idea.

It is unrealistic to assume that once you buy it, you will have no problems.
A MH is too complex to not have problems. Some of them are built in. Some of them just happen. I find something that doesn't work on every trip I take. I fix most of them on my own. I do get discouraged about the amount of time it takes, but I'm hopeful the issues will taper off in frequency.
In my experience the issues "ramp up", (not "taper off") as a coach ages.
My Safari is 17 years old with 128k miles.
IMO, since your coach is only 6 years old, (with 12k miles), your "fun" has just begun.
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote