Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-15-2014, 09:35 PM   #1

What will I need for Cable TV?

As a newbie, we never thought about it but apparently some campgrounds offer cable TV. Since we have four flat screens on board that might be nice. So will I need to carry a 25 or 50 foot length of co-axial cable on our coach along with all the other assorted cords, cables, wires and hoses? I don't suppose campgrounds provide the cable do they?
Any suggestions based on experience are welcome.
JOHNBJR53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-15-2014, 09:45 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
I've been to only 1 CG that supplied the cable. We carry both a 25' & 50' length of co-ax.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 09:46 PM   #3

One 25 foot cable to take you from your coach to the pedestal will do it

Congrats & Enjoy your adventures!

1997 American Eagle
2013 FJ Cruiser 4x4 Toad
jd956jd956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 11:28 PM   #4
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I always carry two cables in case I need the extra length. Last, month while camping in Oregon, we came across a KOA with a funky cable box you had to use to receive their cable. It required two cables to make it work.

Tip......Radio Shack sells a slide on connector (coupling). It connects to your cable and then slides onto the campground's male connector, rather than thread on. The reason for this is the campground connects are often buggered up and in a place that is hard to get your hand into. The slide on makes life easy.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 10:13 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
I think you are going to be horribly disappointed in campground cable. My experience is that 99% of campgrounds still have analog cable and your four HD TVs are going to look really less than ideal. A big screen of blurry pictures.

You will do far better with OTA TV than cable. The one exception we have found is Ft. Wilderness at Disney World in FL. Their digital cable system is darn near perfect.

Satellite is really the best solution for RVers. You can get HD, pay only when you use it (Dish), and easily get local stations (Dish is best for this). Something to think about.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 11:33 AM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Analog or Digital.... Still looks good to me.

One thing you need to know: IF you are NOT the original owner (Even if you are) of your RV.

Many times the RV owner will modify the thing so he can use the PARK CABLE line for Sat TV as the Sat-Antenna cable..... Works, though to be honest it is far from the best way to do it.

You may have to restore the original connections.

Second... ON my rig, due to some added lengths of quality coax.....

Analog cable is delivered to two televisions and two DVR's (older analog only) the DVR's deliver to two TV's via LINE IN (A/V 1 or A/V 2)

OTA cable is also delivered to two Digital to Analog TV's and one other TV (normally.. NOTE: one TV can go either way, Analog cable or OTA digital (Does digital cable too).

OTA is delivered to the DVR's from the converters via A/V (line) input #1

Nose camera goes to one DVR via LIne-2 Sat (if I ever re-up) to the other via Line-2

So the DVR's auto select the source based on the program guide

The Televisions I manually select the source but have both sources to all sets all the time.. I can switch from CABLE to OTA without getting out of bed (The Multi-switch is not in the bedroom)

Kind of fun. Oh, and I record in one room play back in the other, change rooms, download to computer and take with me, All those things... Even though I do not have the service in the blank "Only ______ lets you do all these things" and never will.
Old 09-18-2014, 10:10 PM   #7

Thank you all for the good information. It is much appreciated!
JOHNBJR53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 04:25 PM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
X2 on Rogers comments, I would not rely on campground cable if you are a serious TV viewer. In our case we travel with the three option mentioned.

Fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote