Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-27-2010, 11:42 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to fxdave
when you get new tires

when you get your new tires are the balanced with weight or with equal ?which i had never heard of untill today ill include that link to http://www.expeditionexchange.com/equal/ just got a great price for some sumitomo tires anyone runnin these Sumitomo Performance Tires: ST 718
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-27-2010, 11:49 AM   #2

Forest River Owners Club
I want mine to be weight balanced.

IF you use equal or some other powder/beads/etc you will want to use the special valve stems designed for such products. They have a fine screen to keep the valve core from getting clogged and causing flats.
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 12:03 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Alot of people use the beads and like them. I prefer the weights.
Old 12-27-2010, 12:55 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to fxdave
i believe ill be going with toyo tires an they use the beads this other place uses the equal ! 2100 out the door for 6
Old 12-27-2010, 01:52 PM   #5

A lot of people swear by Equal but I had a bad shimmy with it. I had the dealer remove it and all was smooth again. That was without balancing. Michlen says it is not necessary to balance 22.5 inch wheels. From my experience I tend to agree with them, but I had the wheels balanced with weights later anyway.
Old 12-27-2010, 03:49 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Equal in all 6 of my tires for over 5 years now. No shimmy, shaking etc.
All ride smooth. No weights to fall off.

In 4 or 5 years I will probably do the same in the next set of tires.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 03:55 PM   #7
a k

Newmar Owners Club
Beads no equal. Michlen's full of crap. They figure you shouldn't run over 55
a k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 03:59 PM   #8

I have Michlens with no balancing and have no problems.
BOB
bldrbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 04:00 PM   #9
a k

Newmar Owners Club
If you can get a Hunter road force machine balance, I'd jump on it. If not throw in the beads.
a k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 09:24 PM   #10

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Not Equal. Check for Dyna Beads.

Equal is powder, so special valve stems are needed, and moisture can cause the powder to clump up.

Dyna Beads are large ceramic beads, requiring no special valve stems.

I switched to Dyna Beads a couple of years ago, I'll never go back to having my tires balanced with weights. The wheels roll really s-m-o-o-t-h all the time.

You can check for Dyna Beads on the internet, order them in and have your tire dealer install them.
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 05:51 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimkate View Post
Not Equal. Check for Dyna Beads.
Equal is powder, so special valve stems are needed, and moisture can cause the powder to clump up.
Dyna Beads are large ceramic beads, requiring no special valve stems.
You are almost half right about your Equal knowledge.

YES! Equal does use a special AirX Filtered valve core or Valve Stem Filter Extension.
That shouldn't be a big deal as they take the valve core out when changing tires anyway. And need to put one back in.

Now for the rest of the story.
EQUAL is a dry polymer particle product and it does NOT ABSORB water in any way.

Due to the fact that EQUAL is a plastic polymer granule, water or moisture will not change its composition.

Moisture that accumulates inside the tire will evaporate due to normal driving conditions and therefore is in contact with EQUAL for a very short time.

When Equal is in contact with large amounts of water, (to the point where it is actually floating freely), will do just that, float.

Equalizes imbalance constantly, regardless of changing "load forces" and other variables. Equal has the ability to adjust to any and all changes of vibration frequency or force variation.
Lead weights are stationary on the rim and cannot adapt to changes such as tread wear, variations in radial force and load force. Equal helps prevent alternate lug wear, "cupping" and "flat spotting".

Front & rear dual tires, plus different size tires. Can use a different amount of Equal to balance them. Use the Equal chart for the amount to use in your tires.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 06:28 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
My coach tires are balanced with weights. Balancing coach tires with weights has worked, for me, for 33 years. It the product works, I'm not going to change it. If for some reason, weights no longer balance my tires correctly, I'll consider other choices at that time.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 06:57 AM   #13

Sumitomo

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxdave View Post
just got a great price for some sumitomo tires anyone runnin these Sumitomo Performance Tires: ST 718
6 0f the 8 tires on our Signature are H rated Sumitomo ST727s, size 11R. I recently replaced the two 8 yr old tag axle tires with these. Cost was $810 mounted and spin balanced out the door.

I fear using balance beads because they use a lot of grease like lubricant when mounting new tires. The stuff gets everywhere inside and outside of the new tire. The beads stick to the excess lubricant inside the tire?

We hope this helps?

Don
Old 12-28-2010, 07:07 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Gary...as someone who has mounted a lot of tires and big ones years ago there is a difference in today's product. Breaking down old tires on steel rims left rough edges even when cleaned with a wire brush. New tires did not rotate on the rims after mounting. Aluminum rims mounted with lube will let a tire rotate as much as half a turn within miles...there goes your lead weight balance. My new 315's mounted with the valve at the circle moved almost a half turn within 500 miles. Glad I didn't use lead.
One old guy I worked for in the '60's, big Uniroyal dealer, would have customers drive 100 miles, then bring it back to balance, same reason. I can see that happening today..yeah right. Beads on three sets of 22.5s and have yet to see clumping or damage.

JMHO..as always your experience may be different. Just food for thought.
Twomed is offline   Reply With Quote