Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-19-2022, 04:09 PM   #1

Where are you going for your oil changes? Oregon Area

Hey guys. I am new to the Pacific Northwest, but one of my coworkers is having a hard time finding somewhere to get his oil changed. I have called all over the place and most of the service centers I call say they do not handle chassis or powertrain work. Any suggestions around the Gresham, Oregon area?

Edit: Forgot to mention, this is a class "A" motorhome powered by a Cummins L9.
CAMP3RGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-19-2022, 04:21 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Oil change on what ?
Since we're not talking about you, I'll say it. Any one who can't change their own oil, and filter has no business owning a vehicle.
2004 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37c, 8.1 gasser, (Jezebel) Ultra RV ECM / TCM, plugs wires, and rear track bar, PPE deep Tx pan w/ temp gage, Bilstein's, Sailun's & Sumo's all round, pushed by a 2002 Grand Caravan, on a Master Tow Dolly OR a WR-250 on a rail.
Flyer15015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 04:30 PM   #3

Some people are allergic to motor oil.
Old 05-19-2022, 04:31 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyer15015 View Post
Oil change on what ?
Since we're not talking about you, I'll say it. Any one who can't change their own oil, and filter has no business owning a vehicle.
It's a class "A" motorhome. Your statement seems kind of assumptive though. Not every person is fully capable. Some are older, some are handicapped, and some are not mechanically inclined. Seems wrong to assume they would be incapable of operating a vehicle because they can't or don't want to work on it.
Old 05-19-2022, 04:38 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAMP3RGUY View Post
It's a class "A" motorhome. Your statement seems kind of assumptive though. Not every person is fully capable. Some are older, some are handicapped, and some are not mechanically inclined. Seems wrong to assume they would be incapable of operating a vehicle because they can't or don't want to work on it.
Hello sir and sorry about your friends issues. Some shops don'
t want to mess with this because there is little to no money to be made. If your friend is mechanically capable at all it would be a heck of a lot cheaper to change yourself. Oil is getting real expensive along with gas these days but having said this we need to know what size engine is in the motor coach so we can offer suggestions to help. Good luck and with out a doubt I'm sure you will get a better answer to your liking.
craigd853 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 04:42 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I'm not in your area, rather SoCal. Here and in AZ there are mobile guys who only do such as oil changes.

Likely similar there.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 04:47 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigd853 View Post
Hello sir and sorry about your friends issues. Some shops don'
t want to mess with this because there is little to no money to be made. If your friend is mechanically capable at all it would be a heck of a lot cheaper to change yourself. Oil is getting real expensive along with gas these days but having said this we need to know what size engine is in the motor coach so we can offer suggestions to help. Good luck and with out a doubt I'm sure you will get a better answer to your liking.
Cummins L9
Old 05-19-2022, 05:17 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
What service centers are you calling? If it’s RV dealerships, sure, they won’t do that type of work.

You should be looking at heavy truck repair centers. Or if you have any truck stops in the region like a Loves Speedco.
Old 05-19-2022, 05:43 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by deblas View Post
What service centers are you calling? If it’s RV dealerships, sure, they won’t do that type of work.

You should be looking at heavy truck repair centers. Or if you have any truck stops in the region like a Loves Speedco.
Thanks. That makes a lot of sense. I figured it would be kind of like a car dealership, lol. If they sell 'em they should work on 'em right? Thanks for the tip.
Old 05-20-2022, 02:02 PM   #10

Look on cummins.com and find a local service center.

The ISL9 will take approximately 7 gallons of oil.
bentjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 03:08 PM   #11

I recently recommended Blue Lake Auto & RV Repair in the Troutdale/Fairview area but it's been quite awhile since I've used them. Here's the post from last month:

Any recommendations for routine maintenance on an older DP in the PNW?

There is a Freightliner Oasis facility in Portland but they're pretty expensive just to do an oil change and the Cummin's authorized dealerships are usually pricey too.

Maybe have your co-worker call Blue Lake and at least inquire about their prices:

Blue Lake Auto & RV Repair

2650 Fairview Pkwy
Fairview, OR 97024

(503) 491-9871

One nice thing is that if he finds their service satisfactory, they also do coach house repars too so it's a good reference contact if future repairs are needed on house items such as plumbing, electrical, slides, water heater, a/c, roof repairs, etc. etc. as well as chassis work.

I do have a few other places in the Portland area (private semi truck service shops that will work on motorhomes) listed in my journal notes too but am mentioning Blue Lake now as it's close to Gresham.
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 04:55 PM   #12

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Speedco
Old 05-20-2022, 04:56 PM   #13

I have taken my Class A to Freightliner for the oil change. Have used many locations. Tucson, Omaha etc. I pay $550.00 for oil and filter and $250 for the genny. $800 total. Found Cummings to be a lot more expensive. Used an independent one time in Phoenix, Massey Diesel. Same price as Freightliner. Call you nearest Freightliner or Google independent diesel service centers in your area.
TXTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 05:36 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott 61 View Post
Speedco
Ah, I didn't think there was a Speedco in the Portland area. Now I see that there's one down near Woodburn somewhere, that may be a good option for just an oil change. However, it's still probably over an hour to get to that location from Gresham, right? And I also have hear that Speedco's prices have been steadily inching up (like everybody's) so not sure though how much savings it would be to travel that far just for an oil change. It seems like I paid about $150 for a Cat C7 over ten years ago at a Speedco somewhere but I'm thinking it's double that now, correct?

That's why I thought I'd mention Blue Lake as the convenience may be worth the slight savings of spending over 2 hours in travel time rather than just going a few minutes to the Fairview area even if having to pay a little more.

OP, maybe call Speedco and then call Blue Lake to compare prices (or have your friend, rather)?

Speedco in Aurora OR: (503) 678-7951

Blue Lake in Fairview: (503) 491-9871
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oil change