Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-21-2016, 12:25 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rvlegaleagle View Post
Thanks for that. I have a question though, for purposes of "center clearance" a shorter wheel base is better but what other effects does a shorter wheel base have on the overall operation of the rig?
Easier to turn around in a tight space due to smaller turning radius is one positive.
When it comes to ground clearance my concern is the clearance of the body of the rv. If you drag the basement doors or compartments it will be an expensive repair, trailer hitch or chassis bits not so much. A few times the sheet metal shield that protects the genset tailpipe had been bent on the Bounder, being the lowest hanging part of the this particular mh, but a very easy fix.

I drove the old Bounder on a gravel and dirt road in Colorado called Phantom Canyon Road. This road has a vehicle length limit. There was a location where the road was one narrow lane through a rock cut with a sharp radius (not shown in this video). The road surface was pretty good most of the way but it is mostly one lane through the canyon with numerous pull outs.
I have been on much rougher trails but take it very slow. On another Colorado road the wife said, "The next time you attempt a road like that I will walk instead".

YouTube video by user Colin Shreffler.

Steady_Rest is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-21-2016, 06:39 AM   #30

I love accessing places like this as well, especially when they are in good condition, but clearly this is not the place to be pulling or driving an RV. Pulling a toad or hauling a bike/scooter/quad/golf cart a much better option from where I'm sitting.
Old 12-26-2016, 03:27 PM   #31

Since I posted this, I have learned quite a bit. Most Cs have hardly any carrying capacity especially if you must have dual pane windows, a RV ref, decent fresh water tank and room for solar.

An very interesting read I found here "https://supertransport.net/knowledge-is-power-pricing/". A little beyond me but the information is spectacular

Right now I am looking at the Born Free imperial, (gas), Nexus and Lazydez. They are more expensive but seem to offer quality unmatched by the factory type manufacturers.
I am sure they have their issues too as nothing is perfect.

My biggie is two golden retrievers, 2 and 4 years old, it is hard in the house but they are here to stay! I have decided to rent a rig for a week to see how it goes probably in March or April while the cost is still down. Can go to local campgrounds or even in the driveway to see how it works with the dogs.

Any suggestions, thoughts, experience or comments are always welcomed and appreciated.

Daniel
Rvlegaleagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 05:56 PM   #32

Our dogs are the reason we have an RV. We wanted to travel, and to do the kind of traveling we were considering, we knew we'd be out weeks at a time. There is no way I would subject our dogs to even the best of care while we were out. So, the fact they were going with us was just one more factor to be considered when developing the picture that eventually unfolded.

I can just about guarantee the dogs will enjoy the experience as much as you do. The chance to spend that kind of time that close to the boss is not lost on them at all. Our experience would be that as long as there's room for everyone without tripping over each other, the dogs will be fine. Be careful when there is a major change in the environment. East coast dogs in the desert for instance. Cactus and other pokey things that hurt are going to be new to them....

I could be wrong, but March is spring break time. Rigs may not be as cheap as you would think that time of year. My guess would be May, Sept, and Oct. would be the cheaper months. Those are the "tweener" seasons where the kids are in school (leaving many parks nearly deserted), but the weather is pretty nice.
Old 12-27-2016, 12:44 PM   #33

"Our dogs are the reason we have an RV. We wanted to travel, and to do the kind of traveling we were considering, we knew we'd be out weeks at a time. There is no way I would subject our dogs to even the best of care while we were out. So, the fact they were going with us was just one more factor to be considered when developing the picture that eventually unfolded. "

WOW, that is EXACTLY why I am doing the RV thing as well! Problem is I want to stay small, class C for sure, but big enough for them as well. Has to be 30+ even with all the downsides that go along with that selection. I am lucky enough to be able to look at the super (gas) class C. This will be my first motor home as well having been a boater since childhood. Just sold the boat in September and have been on youtube and other internet places trying to learn as much as I can about RVing. What a mess that is as the truth about rigs has as many views as there are pebbles on a beach.

I take the dogs to local campground places and walk them around. They LOVE IT, even more than the beach! I will have to learn more about out west and the south where I do plan on going regarding the dogs. I mean bears, coyotes, snakes, gators and a whole lot more. Thank you for your comments, you seem like a really nice person

Daniel
Old 12-27-2016, 02:36 PM   #34

So what are you looking at that would have you giving a large C preference over a small A? Ground clearance?
Old 12-27-2016, 05:17 PM   #35

eagle-

I recommend two great Lazy Daze resources:

Lazy Daze Companion
Lazy Daze owners group

I'd send links, but it's tough to do from my phone.

We had an LD, and discovered even before we bought it what an interesting and dedicated bunch LD owners are.

Fell free to send me a private message if you can find the links, or if you want any other insight on Lazy Daze coaches.
l1v3fr33ord1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 10:04 AM   #36

"So what are you looking at that would have you giving a large C preference over a small A? Ground clearance?"

No, that is not the sole criteria but one of many. There is the height, safety, easier to heat and keep cool, can get it fixed just about anywhere for less, drive quality without all the "fixes", smaller overall and I am now focusing on the F-550 (gas) chassis.

Daniel
Old 01-11-2017, 05:43 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
Don't forget rear overhang, hitch striking is common going up and down small hills, even moderately steep driveways.
Tail swing will also be a factor, given that long rear overhang. Any twisty turns in the boonies will leave a severely impacted back end.
CapnJustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 07:52 PM   #38

Actually the Born free imperial has a very wide wheel base 240+ so the overhang won't be that bad. Turning around...well that is another thing. Bottom line, have to go and SEE for yourself. Can't buy such an expensive item by just "looking" at pictures on the "internet".

Where I am located on eastern long island, there are not any real large RV dealers for motor homes. Can't wait until I can get out of the northeast, maybe summers, maybe...lol. Looking to go west as they say, had enough east, especially north east.

Because of the horrible OCCC in any E-450 30+ class C, the born free has a "gas" F-550 with more OCCC but I think they are the only ones I have been able to find so far, never seen a gas F-53 built as a class C, don't know why but I am sure there is a reason

Anyway, thanks for all the great advice and if you have any additional comments, suggestions or experiences they would be very much appreciated.

Daniel
Old 01-14-2017, 09:39 PM   #39
GGC

While passing a small local dealer, there was a new class C on a 4x4 chasis. Didn't see what make, but it looked like it could handle some rough spots.
Maybe a quick search would be worthwhile.
GGC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 11:02 PM   #40

Foretravel Owners Club
There are a few Class A DP's with air ride/leveling systems that have an overide button for travel ride height, it is to be used to get in and out of places that have a "hump" in their driveways or parking lot "speed bumps", also will work for very short distances that the road isn't smooth or level... but @ 5mph or less.
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 08:50 PM   #41

I believe the 4x4s are dessel. I am not looking to go that rugged off road but dirt roads yes.

As I see it so far, the OCCC of a E-450 is pathetically low on a 30+ foot class C. To make it even worse for a consumer, you can't even get an answer from the manufacturer on the OCCC with your options until AFTER after you order it. So, forget the E-450.

The F-550 has more OCCC if you go gas and is better to tow with. Win, win you would think but there aren't many to choose from out there. The born free imperial is all I have been able to find so far but at least they will build it for you. It has dual pane windows, decent size tanks, an air ride system for $11,000, roof solar, 2000 watt inverter, RV ref, two A/cs etc and the OCCC is still about 1000-1200 lbs. It costs but at least you can get what you want and the build quality appears to be good.

Anyone aware of any other similar class C out there that I may be missing?

Daniel
Old 01-17-2017, 04:30 AM   #42

Tiffin Owners Club
[QUOTE=Rvlegaleagle;3419749]I believe the 4x4s are dessel. I am not looking to go that rugged off road but dirt roads yes.

As I see it so far, the OCCC of a E-450 is pathetically low on a 30+ foot class C. To make it even worse for a consumer, you can't even get an answer from the manufacturer on the OCCC with your options until AFTER after you order it. So, forget the E-450.

The F-550 has more OCCC if you go gas and is better to tow with. Win, win you would think but there aren't many to choose from out there. The born free imperial is all I have been able to find so far but at least they will build it for you. It has dual pane windows, decent size tanks, an air ride system for $11,000, roof solar, 2000 watt inverter, RV ref, two A/cs etc and the OCCC is still about 1000-1200 lbs. It costs but at least you can get what you want and the build quality appears to be good.

Anyone aware of any other similar class C out there that I may be missing?[/QUOTE

Sure, depending how serious you are about goin off road.

World's Toughest Off-Road RVs And Expedition Vehicles
skypilot_1 is offline   Reply With Quote