Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-30-2014, 06:56 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
I plan my trip and check Gasbuddy.com and find the lowest price area and route through there. Once I am near the stations I determine which is the easiest in/out and go there.

I hardly ever fuel at Flying J, Love's, Pilot since they are always +20 cents higher. I can save $15-20 every time I fuel which adds up. I also use a 5% gas back card to save even more.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-30-2014, 07:02 PM   #16

Where do you fuel and why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nctox View Post
Good. One less MH for me to wait behind at the truck lane.

You're welcome!
I will be at that Fry's station tomorrow. The extra $41 will stock my freezer a bit with some prime beef. There is a good meat shop in Yuma!
How do you protect your shoes while spending more?
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 07:10 PM   #17

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Ours is gasoline and not diesel, but I always go for a truck stop and especially if they have RV lanes. Saving a few cents a gallon is not worth the hassle of getting into and out of a gas station that caters primarily to cars and pickup trucks.
Grandpere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 07:52 PM   #18

Not very convenient, but we are always in need of something and usually hit Costco when we can as it has very easy in and out for a 35 foot gaser with TOAD, and almost always the best price. Today gas at Costco was 239.9 for regular in the Springs.
Cspringsrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 12:35 AM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
I have a smaller Class A gas motorhome (27FT) without a toad, so I am able to fit into most gas stations without a problem. I always go to a Top Tier gas station, such as Chevron, 76, Mobil, etc. and use a credit card with 5% rewards.
Rossi6998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 06:21 AM   #20

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
How do you protect your shoes while spending more?
I usually watch where I step. I haven't had a problem in the 2 1/2 years I've owned the mh.

2016 Allegro Bus 40AP
nctox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 06:27 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCRET View Post
Pilot/Flying J exclusively. I know exactly what to expect no matter where I am. Always use the truck lanes and I always use the RV Plus card.
Same with me, while on the road... when I get back home, I always top it off at the local Wally World.... they get a lot of truck traffic so the fuel is fresh and it has a pretty easy access.
PanJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 06:32 AM   #22

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanJH View Post
Same with me, while on the road... when I get back home, I always top it off at the local Wally World.... they get a lot of truck traffic so the fuel is fresh and it has a pretty easy access.
Same here, though in my case there is a local Marathon station near home and in SC (low fuel prices) that has a lot of truck business.

How long have you been in Apollo Beach? I lived there for about 17 years.

2016 Allegro Bus 40AP
nctox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 06:43 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
There was a time when I was forced into buying at the only game in town: a truck lane at P/FJ. Not only did I need to go inside for a receipt, but I had to wait for 3 trucks to go thru, and my sneakers were trashed due to the oil and fuel gunk on the cement by the pumps.
Higher prices and gunk too? Not fir me, thank you!
Weird. I have over 2 million miles in a Peterbilt, always fueling at truckstops, and have yet to "trash" a pair of shoes.
mpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 08:51 AM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks for all the input so far.

I am surprised that truckers are willing to pay considerably higher prices at the truck stops. With the volume of fuel they go through I would have thought those locations would have lower prices.

I agree that their convenience has value but when I see a traditional service station with easy in/out access across the street advertising diesel at 20 cents or more per gallon less I am starting to question where I buy my diesel.

My thoughts and observations so far:
- It is looking to me like many don't mind the extra cost of truck stop pricing with its easy predictable in/out.

- Some minimize the added cost by using certain cash back credit cards but their saving would be even greater if they got that same cash back off a much lower pump price.
Old 12-01-2014, 08:58 AM   #25

I look for smaller local stations that have truck islands.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 09:08 AM   #26

Where do you fuel and why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nctox View Post
I usually watch where I step. I haven't had a problem in the 2 1/2 years I've owned the mh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpierce View Post
Weird. I have over 2 million miles in a Peterbilt, always fueling at truckstops, and have yet to "trash" a pair of shoes.

Most of the time truck lanes are grey concrete with a total black layer on top. I couldn't get the combination of grease, oil, and fuel off of the soles. And if tracked into the MH is nasty on carpet and tile. What cleaning solvent do you use? I now carry disposable medical shoe covers in case I must ever use a truck lane.
Old 12-01-2014, 09:36 AM   #27

Thor Owners Club
I'm continually amazed at the number of RV'ers who spend $100,000+ on a motorhome, then wander around looking for ways to save pennies on fuel. LOL

Yep, I'm one of those, too. On the highway I generally use P/FJ because they're predictable in terms of convenience, etc. Back home, I have my local Hess station that's always the best price around, so I'll top off then.
taylorgso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 10:57 AM   #28

I'm continually amazed at how many folks leave easy money on the table. In 10K miles it is $500-600 smackers that I keep. That is about one free tire.
I'm thinking a lot of folks may have issues/fears while manuvering. That's okay. Being safe is good.
Each to their own ways!

Tags
fuel