Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-15-2017, 08:56 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Where to buy tail pipe extension?

I am looking for something that I could attach to the end of my Onan generator tailpipe and vent 20' or so (ALONG THE FLOOR) to outside the garage -- so that I can exercise the gen without polluting the garage -- like something you might find at a fire station or smog test place.

Is there a name for what I am looking for?
VerboortTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-15-2017, 09:07 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
are you going out sideways or up ?

The genturi will do the job going UP because heat rises,
but if you are going sideways, then you need to seal the exhaust so it will flow out...

Here is an example of some flexible tubing you could use
you will need a metal (non flammable) adapter between the 1.5" or so genny exhaust to the 2" tubing, etc...

when we used to do dyno testing with the tuned engines, we would just attach a large tube to the exhaust and direct it outside...

good luck
Old 01-15-2017, 09:38 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Sideways (edited original post). I think the Walker pipe will do! Thank you very much!
Old 01-15-2017, 10:58 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by VerboortTech View Post
Sideways (edited original post). I think the Walker pipe will do! Thank you very much!
I use 4" Aluminum Dryer Vent pipe to run the engine while I air up. Cheap and does the job.
Something like this is about 12' so two would get you the length you need.

https://www.amazon.com/Uxcell-Alumin...+aluminum+pipe
Old 01-16-2017, 02:02 PM   #5
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Like "Dennis45" stated, dryer hose or go to Home Depot and buy water heater ducting.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 04:34 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
It's only 1.25" OD tailpipe, so I will be going for the metal hose vs the dryer vent.
Old 01-16-2017, 04:39 PM   #7

Triple E Owners Club
I use an auto shop rubber exhaust hose. Open a door on the other side of the shop, turn the ceiling fan on and point the floor fan out the door. It gets a little toxic in the shop without the floor fan especially if the wind is blowing the wrong way. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1484609967.717697.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	92.3 KB
ID:	149281Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1484609981.963412.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	99.9 KB
ID:	149282

Dave
Kuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 09:08 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuzzy View Post
I use an auto shop rubber exhaust hose. Open a door on the other side of the shop, turn the ceiling fan on and point the floor fan out the door. It gets a little toxic in the shop without the floor fan especially if the wind is blowing the wrong way. Attachment 149281Attachment 149282

Dave
While the steel flexible pipe is very sturdy it will rust in the joints over time. My Uncle was very pleased when the heat-resistant rubber hose became available, we went through many metal hoses at his service station every year. It is much easier to store too.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 08:52 AM   #9

Try an exhaust port to shorten hose length inside

See this video for demonstration

https://youtu.be/SOaG9Nl5QKw
Breezy2006 is offline   Reply With Quote