Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-26-2001, 07:03 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I am in the market for a portable GPS device. I love the in-dash units currently sold by CW, but I don't use my MH nearly as much as I'd like, so I'm going to go with a portable unit. I am currently looking at the Handspring PDA with a GPS attachment, or the Garmin handheld. Any recommendations?

Craig

My wife does all the driving - I just hold the wheel...
Gadget Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-26-2001, 07:03 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I am in the market for a portable GPS device. I love the in-dash units currently sold by CW, but I don't use my MH nearly as much as I'd like, so I'm going to go with a portable unit. I am currently looking at the Handspring PDA with a GPS attachment, or the Garmin handheld. Any recommendations?

Craig

My wife does all the driving - I just hold the wheel...
Gadget Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2001, 07:40 AM   #3

I use a Delorme reciever connected to a laptop. Advantages; lower cost (if you already have a laptop, larger display, variety of software available. I like having a big map to look at. Also you can start up without having to download any maps etc.

The disadvantages are much larger size, needs a laptop, etc.

Good Luck
ChasWray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2001, 09:22 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
We went with a Garmin III. I like it as it is portable and can be used when hiking or in the car. It can also be linked to a computer using software like MS Streets and Trips.

I find that I don't use the laptop much as it is a problem to see. I use the small display, or the copilot uses it and we get along fine with it. The Delorme is tied to the laptop and is not portable.

Ken W

1999 Minnie Winnie DL, 31A w/ Banks Power Pak, Bilstein and iPd--Dinghy, 1995 Probe GT---Travel with a Minature Schnauzer and two small Parrots.---Practicing for our retirement! Have Flamingo, will travel!
Check out the Texas Boomers at http://www.texasboomers.org/
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2001, 06:56 PM   #5

I have a Garmin gps II+ and recently had the internal lithium battery replaced for free, even though the unit was out of warranty. Their service is fantastic!

If I had to buy a new unit right now, I'd get the Garmin V unit. looks like a great unit with several bells and whistles.
Brunnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2001, 02:03 AM   #6

I use the older Garmin 45. It still works good. The newer units recieve more satilites and the recievers are more sensitive. As far as software, I use the Delorme Map-N-Go AAA on the laptop. It is a pretty good way to put places on a map, that your map does not have on it. With Delorme, you can lable the points you wish to keep on your maps, they call them "map notes".

I would guess that just about all the maping software now will allow some kind of note, name, marker (weigh points) for the new location you would like to save. If you wish not to run any extra software on a laptop, the weigh points can be stored in the GPS unit itself. Happy shopping.

Steve

'00 Rockwood 27' TT & '01 F250 Crew Cab Lariat PSD....2 minature Dachshunds....

http://www.texasboomers.org or http://users2.ev1.net/~southstl

Southstl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2001, 04:00 AM   #7

We have the Delorme Earthmate. We could probable wish for better reception. But, seem to always be traveling in the forest. The new Garmin V has that WAAS stuff which makes it more accurate. But, I don't think will help you under a tree. We really like the Delorme software. And believe me we buy it all. Tge most recent TOPO/something we got from them is like totally cool. It shows every little hill and topographical positions with is in fact a hill. Also the newest street software, (which is out in the motorhome, but I am not so I am guessing as to what it's called}. Has RV parks and Truckstops etc. The biggest objection we have is the cheasey little voice they use to tell you you just missed your turn. It kind of sounds like the Archeology Graduate you hear saying "would you like to have a hot apple pie with that". It seem for a voice that says "Four miles remaining, 1 minute 8 seconds, turn left" They could clone one of those "lift off" guys from NASA. You know the guy that says, "This is the 134th flight of Whirlpool II, taking total whitening of space gaments to the far reaches of space".

www.barthmobile.com

God Bless and Pleasant Journeys,
Dave Bowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2001, 06:59 AM   #8

Craig, I have used a Garmin E-map for a couple of years now and it has been nothing but tops.
I mount it on the dash or windshield for a closer view. I than also mount it on the handlebars of my Touring motorcycle with RAM mounts. It works great. The same unit fits into my shirt pocket without being noticed, always available while out in the woods or just for security while shopping. I do not want to leave it in the open view, it may walk away.
For the all around versatility of a portable this one is in my opinion on the top of the list. It is also capable of plugging into any other hardware that may need a GPS and with constant upgrades from the Garmin site offers more versatility each day.
This unit is not to be confused with a dedicated mobile, marine or aircraft system. It is basically small and lite. It offers allot of technology for the buck and still is pocket portable.

LANCE*820/FORD*PSD/H-D*ULTRA HAPPY TRAILS: GOD BLESS AMERICA]
MMouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2001, 06:59 AM   #9

Dave, we turn the audio off on the 'puter. We are usually jammin' to the tunes, or just crewzin' listin' to the rattle and cacklin of tha diesel engine.......

Steve

'00 Rockwood 27' TT & '01 F250 Crew Cab Lariat PSD....2 minature Dachshunds....

http://www.texasboomers.org or http://users2.ev1.net/~southstl

Southstl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2001, 08:37 AM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
Craig,

I have had a Garmin GPS II+ for a few years. I use it in the car, boat walking & in the RV. It has a small map w/o much detail but I love it.

This summer we got the Delorme EarthMate and 2 of their programs, AAA Map & Go which covers Canada and Mexico. It has a lot of campgrounds etc. It is great. We also got Street Atlas USA 9.0. It has every road in the USA, I think. It shows private dirt roads etc. I love everything it does...the voice is wimppy but neat.

I use the Delorme w/ a Laptop but they have palm programs too.

Make sure you set your prefernces right because Street Atlas took us on a road no Motorhome ever belonged, but it was my fault for not setting up right.

God Bless America
Ed

Ed & Jeanie
Todd the GSD
2001 Adventurer 35B
2001 Cherokee
Cousin Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2001, 04:15 PM   #11

Craig,

We use a Garmin III in the boat while fishing, in the woods while hunting, & in the truck while traveling. It suits our needs very well.
Garmin's customer service is excellant. When our
unit malfunctioned, they replaced it promptly and without a hassle.

2001 Ford F-350 Diesel Dually Lariat Crew Cab 4x2
2001 Lance 1121
Lance-a-Lot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2001, 04:41 AM   #12

We use an emap on it's own and sometimes connected to a laptop using the microsoft streets and trips software and/or Garmins mapsource metroguide. There is more of a learning curve with this arrangement than an in dash dedicated unit but if you're computer savvy it's the way to go. If you want the advantages of the notebook pc with just a gps...color screen, auto routing, plus voice instruction etc. ..look at the Garmin Street pilot3.

Cheers,
Paul

97 Okanagan 22ft 5er
94 GMC SLE 1500ext. 5.7L
Paul, Tracy, and Faith
Clancy

02 Silverado D/A 4x4..sweet.
Paul Clancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2001, 11:12 AM   #13

I also use the Garmin Emap. 90 percent of the time its in the truck plugged into the cigarette lighter. I leave it plugged in constantly. This thing will run for 14 hours on two AA batteries so you don't need to worry about draining you car battery.

I also have Delorme Street Atlas 9.0 for the notebook and interface the E-map with it instead of an earthmate. This gives me the best of both worlds. I can track on the notebook when we are traveling. Or, day to day, I track with the small map on the E-map. You can't upload and download maps from Street Atlas but you can upload and download waypoints, tracks, and routes. I also have Garmin's Mapsource CD to download street level detail directly to the E-map if I desire.

Good luck with your decision.

MattHelm21
Matt & Cyndie Nichols
'00 Chevy K3500 Crew cab, DRW, Vortec 7400, auto, 4.56, Reese 20K
'00 Newmar American Star, 36DBSA FW, Onan 7K(propane conversion)
MattHelm21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 04:15 PM   #14

I use the DeLorme. While I don't think it is as user friendly as it could be. I do like the ability to find any business you may want along the route you are traviling. It just takes some time to get use to it's abilities.
Gugotme is offline   Reply With Quote