Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-18-2022, 04:40 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via Skype™ to JJH3rd
Question Which smart TVs work best with RV park cable tv

I will be replacing two TVs in our 2005 MH and I'd like to have them both work with the digital signals coming out of the cable TV systems in most RV parks.

Which one seem to work with no problems? Which one should I avoid?

JJH3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-18-2022, 05:04 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJH3rd View Post
I will be replacing two TVs in our 2005 MH and I'd like to have them both work with the digital signals coming out of the cable TV systems in most RV parks.

Which one seem to work with no problems? Which one should I avoid?

With most smart TVs they are only good as the wifi is.
Old 08-18-2022, 05:17 PM   #3

I would think any new tv should be okay. Our main is a Samsung Q-60 the rest are factory LGs. I’d say just find one you like the picture.
Old 08-18-2022, 07:15 PM   #4
Decrepit Forum Advocate

The vast majority of RV parks don't have wifi strong enough to do any streaming. It's not the cable connection itself but the "smart" functionality needs a good wifi signal that very few parks have.

If it's an actual hard-cable connection you're referring to, I don't think it matters too much what TV you get as the park's cable connection isn't providing the actual wifi.

Maybe consider a ROKU or Fire stick or similar and just get the cheapest "non-smart" TV in the size you need if they even make non-smart TVs anymore as I haven't purchased a TV lately. When I did purchase my last TV, it seemed that the smart TVs were not that much more in price than the ones that did not have the smart-capability I'm not that particular in picture quality so I'd probably just buy one of the cheapest TVs.

But, I'm not that knowledgeable about this stuff so I'm sure others with more expertise will guide your further.
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 07:24 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
If you are asking which tv's work best with RV park cable? They are all the same. Any tv with a tuner wil work just fine. Personally I like Samsung.
chuckftboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2022, 06:37 AM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via Skype™ to JJH3rd
I have a hot spot for Internet access, so its the cable part that concerns me. The original TVs don't "see" the digital channels and so no cable in the RV. I saw a Fire TV but the remote has no number pad so I'm not sure it would work.....
JJH3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2022, 06:57 AM   #7

Be aware there are BIG changes coming to over the air HDTV signals, and only some of the newest TV's will continue to decode the new over the air signals. Read up on ATSC 3.0
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2022, 08:12 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
Be aware there are BIG changes coming to over the air HDTV signals, and only some of the newest TV's will continue to decode the new over the air signals. Read up on ATSC 3.0
Then a converter will probably be available for older tv
DerekF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2022, 08:24 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
In 2009 is when the signals changed and the old analog type TV's wouldn't work without a converter box. We bought several of them but they didn't pick up all the available OTA signals. Didn't take long for use to change out to digital TV's.

As of now pretty much any TV you buy should connect to antenna or cable and pick up stations.

Smart TV's have other functions, usually the ability to stream but it requires a wifi connection. We have a total of 5 smart TV's. We decided to standardize and buy ones with ROKU built in. All use the same remote which is good because one of the dogs decided he likes to chew them up so I have a couple spares in the drawer.

The smart functions don't work without Wifi but you can still get channels and watch OTA stations and probably cable (don't know cause we don't have it).
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2022, 08:26 AM   #10

Beware of the Remote

TVs like Roku and TCL which are mainly streaming TVs have NO numeric keypad on them. I guess they expect that you always have some kind of receiver in the path, such as DISH, COX etc that have their own remote. Not sure how all that would work with the basic cable from RV parks. Maybe someone can inform us. My new TCL, which by the way I think is a great TV does indeed have a coax input for cable but I have DISH TV so never use the coax.
Old 08-19-2022, 12:53 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Just about every park I've been in that had cable tv was using an analog signal, not digital. Digital cable is used primarily for proprietary carriers such as Xfinity or Spectrum and the park provides a decoder box. What many parks call cable tv is actually just a community antenna that distributed the signal via coax. Some others are a branch of a local cable system, also analog.

In any case, any relatively modern tv (not a monitor) will include a cable tv tuner that will handle any standard (non-encoded) cable signal. It does not have to be a "smart" tv. As others have already explained, smart tvs use wifi to access the internet to download (stream) content as well as software updates.
Gary RVRoamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2022, 08:45 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJH3rd View Post
I have a hot spot for Internet access, so its the cable part that concerns me. The original TVs don't "see" the digital channels and so no cable in the RV. I saw a Fire TV but the remote has no number pad so I'm not sure it would work.....
In ours we have a button that changes from ota to cable. Could that be why you donít see cable channels?
DerekF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2022, 06:51 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidceder View Post
TVs like Roku and TCL which are mainly streaming TVs have NO numeric keypad on them. I guess they expect that you always have some kind of receiver in the path, such as DISH, COX etc that have their own remote. Not sure how all that would work with the basic cable from RV parks. Maybe someone can inform us. My new TCL, which by the way I think is a great TV does indeed have a coax input for cable but I have DISH TV so never use the coax.

While our TCL-ROKU TVs do not have a numeric pad, that has not been a problem. We select the over the air app just like any of the other streaming services. There is a full customizable guide of the over the air and internet channels. Very easy to select something to watch.
mrboyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2022, 07:02 AM   #14

Gary RV Roamer has it right. Never been to a park yet which served digital cableÖ..they have all been analog. I get better picture from OTA (over the air) digital signals from my antenna.
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cable, rv park