Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-12-2020, 02:31 PM   #1

Whirlpool Fridge - Removal for repair?

Hey guys,
We have had our 2018 for just about 2 years this month and the control board in the Whirlpool Side-by-Side Refrigerator has gone bad. We had a repairman come out yesterday and took the inside wall off in the freezer side where he could test all the fans, and motors and thermostats, etc. He said the bad news is that everything in there tested as good. The only other thing it could be is the control board in the back of the unit. And the even worse news is that he cannot try to pull the fridge to get to it. He gave us the part number and phone number of the parts store and we ordered it ourselves and it should be here tomorrow. IF we can get it out, we are sure that my hubby can do the replacement. We got some 2x4 cut to 2 foot lengths to be able to pull it straight out - hopefully. We would like to know if anyone else has tried to pull the fridge out for any reason and do you have any tips for us.
Thank you!

The Debster is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-13-2020, 08:39 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
You will have to determine how the refrigerator is secured so it doesn't move. Check the bottom to see if the support feet in the front have any type of attachment. Same with the top and side.

The refrigerator should be able to be pulled in and out since it is a residential.
Make sure the support you are fabricating is the right size for the wheels to rest on it and hopefully the same height. I would use some cross members to make it into 1 structure and try to secure it from moving.

Take everything out of the refrigerator to reduce weight.

Check to see how the water is hooked up if you have an ice maker. In most cases they will use a length of tubing to be able to move fridge in and out but you'll have to check.

While you have the refrigerator out take the time to clean the cooling fan area and condenser. Over time it will accumulate dust, dirt, etc that reduces efficiency.

I actually just installed a residential, it was elevated about 8 inches off the floor since I have the furnace underneath. I took the time to make a wheeled dolly with platform on top to make it easier to get the fridge in and out. This worked well as I had to move it in and out about a dozen times while I completed the install and moving the furnace in and out.

There are a number of resources on line to be able to help diagnose problems. Just use the make model of the appliance and you'll find sites that have the parts diagrams etc. Check several sites for the best prices. Youtube is another good site once you figure out whats wrong. I've used these to fix stoves, microwaves, dryers, washing machines etc. A rudimentary understanding of how to use a multimeter helps.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 08:57 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I built a box/platform of 3/4" plywood when I installed my residential fridge. I agree, finding how it is secured is the key.
Blog at www.pjrider.com
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 09:42 AM   #4

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Debster View Post
Hey guys,
We have had our 2018 for just about 2 years this month and the control board in the Whirlpool Side-by-Side Refrigerator has gone bad. We had a repairman come out yesterday and took the inside wall off in the freezer side where he could test all the fans, and motors and thermostats, etc. He said the bad news is that everything in there tested as good. The only other thing it could be is the control board in the back of the unit. And the even worse news is that he cannot try to pull the fridge to get to it. He gave us the part number and phone number of the parts store and we ordered it ourselves and it should be here tomorrow. IF we can get it out, we are sure that my hubby can do the replacement. We got some 2x4 cut to 2 foot lengths to be able to pull it straight out - hopefully. We would like to know if anyone else has tried to pull the fridge out for any reason and do you have any tips for us.
Thank you!

The unit is secured top and bottom. The bottom brackets are just unscrew. The top are glued to the top of the fridge and must be unscrewed as well. I used a putty knife to get between the glue seal and the bracket. The bracket must come off for the unit to come out. Make sure to unplug the power cord and the water line for the ice maker. Put a string on each so you can pull them back to install when finished. The unit is heavy and I built our frame out of 2x6 lumber with a 3/4 plywood on the top, and a piece of clapboard as a ramp on the inside of the cabinet to get the wheels over edge without damaging the wood. You may have to use it on both sides. Not sure what else I can say but then you can slide the unit out as needed for repair - there is not a lot of space. Hope this helps.
ChuckandMary is offline   Reply With Quote