Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-07-2011, 12:43 PM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by offthewall View Post
I've got a brand new Itasca Meridian V Class 34Y with a 6,000-watt Cummins Onan® Quiet Diesel™ generator. When the generator starts a huge cloud of white smoke comes out of the tail pipe. After that first plume, there is no further smoke.

The generator runs fine. Is this normal? Oil overfill? Something to be concerned about?

Thanks.
I called Onan. The white smoke I'm seeing at startup is normal in cold weather. They had me start the genset, let it warm up, then shut down and restart after 10 min while hot. No smoke while warm, so all is good.
offthewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-08-2011, 07:19 AM   #16

After you talk with Onan, you might want to do an oil analysis. Blackstone Labs is a good place for this. Coolant in the oil is the big fear. As a matter of fact an analysis of your big engine would be good to be sure nothing is wrong with it either.
Cummins 6.7 ISB, Allison 2100 6 Speed
J Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 10:43 AM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Walker View Post
After you talk with Onan, you might want to do an oil analysis. Blackstone Labs is a good place for this. Coolant in the oil is the big fear. As a matter of fact an analysis of your big engine would be good to be sure nothing is wrong with it either.
It is a brand new RV, fresh from the factory. I think that would fall under the anal compulsive catagory
Old 01-08-2011, 08:19 PM   #18

May be normal but CYA is in order...

Smoke on startup of a diesel is NORMAL, and Onan has confirmed as much, but BY PHONE.

Yes, it is new, and it SHOULD be fine, but you ned to insure it is good just as a piece of mind.

So get a note pad and start taking notes of everything in your MH.

Do NOT worry at this time, simply make note of anything that you are not sure of.

When it is time for the first maintenance then take the MH back to the dealer and have them do the service, and while it is there make a service order to "warranty inspect" all of the items on your list.

Make sure they are EACH LISTED on the work order.

Now you have a valid paper trail that indicated you wanted them checked while under warranty.

If something blows up later then you have some recourse as you have documented a problem and the dealer inspected it.

Now relax and enjoy!
TQ60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 01:38 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by offthewall View Post
It is a brand new RV, fresh from the factory. I think that would fall under the anal compulsive catagory
I recommended that you call Onan first and get their advice. If you still have concerns get an oil analysis. You called them and now you don't have concerns so you don't appreciate advice. Be careful about labeling other people anal compulsive! Actually, I call Tech Support first instead of posting.
Cummins 6.7 ISB, Allison 2100 6 Speed
J Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 02:07 PM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Walker View Post
I recommended that you call Onan first and get their advice. If you still have concerns get an oil analysis. You called them and now you don't have concerns so you don't appreciate advice. Be careful about labeling other people anal compulsive! Actually, I call Tech Support first instead of posting.

I posted, I called, I'm no longer concerned. I still think that the thought of getting an oil analysis on a brand new generator and engine after the manufacturer has confirmed that it's operating normally for the conditions is a bit anal compulsive. I never called anyone anal compulsive. The act is anal compulsive, if performed, IHMO.

Thanks for the advice.