Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-18-2022, 06:48 AM   #141

Newmar Owners Club
love it...
Going2town is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-18-2022, 06:54 AM   #142

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1fisch View Post
You are correct. I was too young to remember the long gas lines or how long it took to rebound. It is not the oil companies because crude oil is bought on the stock market at 6 month contracts. It is the refineries and distributors being greedy.
We had 2 recessions and a pandemic lately.
President Obama bailed out the banks and the big 3 auto manufacturers. Unfortunately they passed the debt onto consumers.
Ford is rapidly producing vehicles and storing them until semiconductors can be obtained. Straight garbage.
Electric vehicles are the way to go. With a lack of charging stations, still need hybrids for long trips. None of the big 3 have an electric truck available for retail consumers. They want us to be dependent on combustible engines. Straight garbage.
I liked your views and actually had me thinking.
Ford is producing and selling the F150 lightning electric half ton. Dealers are marking it up 30 grand and selling every one. The market obviously wants them.

Interesting time.
radar is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-18-2022, 08:50 AM   #143

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Dan View Post
Final Thread Warning

More and more posts have been edited or removed due to political comments. Please keep the politics out of the discussion or the thread will be closed.

Thank you to all posting within the Community Rules.
I completely hear what your saying and I've kept politics out of my responses . This is a hot button issue and people are passionate about their opinions. I get it that a line needs to be drawn as I am a Mid too and we don't allow politics either. That being said, this whole issue about rising gas/fuel prices was completely political when it 1st started happening. OPEC needs to be corralled, red tape for the oil companies need to disappear so we can pump more and become more energy independent. Although, rumor has it that oil companies lack workers too. Now we're going to foreign countries , our enemies, and asking them to pump more oil. I think being dependent on foreign countries for products finally bit us in the butt. Not just oil. I respect your position as a Mod. I know how tough it can be at times....
LifeSalt is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-18-2022, 08:53 AM   #144

Quote:
Originally Posted by radar View Post
Ford is producing and selling the F150 lightning electric half ton. Dealers are marking it up 30 grand and selling every one. The market obviously wants them.

Interesting time.
There's another issue, product markup, price gouging which is illegal. They want citizens to turn in gas stations. Dealerships should be turned in too....
Old 06-18-2022, 09:10 AM   #145

We have decided to enjoy much of what is closer to us which we really haven’t taken advantage of much even though we’ve lived in the area over 15 years. We recently spent several days in an rv park only 8 miles from home. We had access to the Guadalupe river (which is a very popular float destination) and a pool. One of the most enjoyable and relaxing times we’ve had using our coach. Put our chairs right in the river and people watched. Met some very nice folks from other areas of Texas and other states and countries.
Rob_M is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-18-2022, 09:17 AM   #146

Have just driven across most of Canada from Nova Scotia to Alberta. We sold our fiver, the house, shipped our stuff and left with the truck and a small uhaul trailer.

Diesel prices were definitely high and I did what I could to save fuel. However what amazed us was that while the traffic volume was only slightly lower than expected, the speeds were just as fast as normal.
Xmcdog is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-18-2022, 09:19 AM   #147

Monaco Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeSalt View Post
There's another issue, product markup, price gouging which is illegal. They want citizens to turn in gas stations. Dealerships should be turned in too....

A dealer charging over the msrp isn’t illegal. Below is a list of each state statutes that cover when price gouging laws become effective. Most are during declared emergencies. Wanting a new pickup isn’t a official emergency. The consumer has the choice to NOT buy at any price they don’t like. In other words, if you don’t want to pay for something, the seller can’t make you. Someone else might perceive a higher value to them and are willing to pay that price. I think buying ANY first or second year model is folly.

https://www.ncsl.org/research/financ...-statutes.aspx
Old 06-18-2022, 09:39 AM   #148

Quote:

President Obama bailed out the banks and the big 3 auto manufacturers. Unfortunately they passed the debt onto consumers.

Ford is rapidly producing vehicles and storing them until semiconductors can be obtained. Straight garbage. .

Nope. Obama bailed out GM and Chrysler. Ford refused to accept “help”. And still seems to be the more fiscally responsible US auto maker.
Rob_M is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-18-2022, 09:39 AM   #149

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbircky View Post
A dealer charging over the msrp isn’t illegal. Below is a list of each state statutes that cover when price gouging laws become effective. Most are during declared emergencies. Wanting a new pickup isn’t a official emergency. The consumer has the choice to NOT buy at any price they don’t like. In other words, if you don’t want to pay for something, the seller can’t make you. Someone else might perceive a higher value to them and are willing to pay that price. I think buying ANY first or second year model is folly.

https://www.ncsl.org/research/financ...-statutes.aspx
I get it, nobody is putting a gun to their head and forcing them to buy, but.........
Apparently, some people have more money than brains... They do a little math and they're not saving a dime. Probably is costing them more by paying those exorbitant prices...
Old 06-18-2022, 11:48 AM   #150

Nothing new

I look at it like this, you knew when you bought your rv It was going to be expensive to operate. Not just fuel, oil changes, tires, Maintenance in general. But if you add night after night motel and hotel room cost camping is still cheaper. I'm not rich but I'm not letting this stop me from doing what I love.....
Tarheels293 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-18-2022, 01:08 PM   #151

Down sizing, fuel prices.

We are looking at the time: fuel ratio. A 1 month trip of 7000 miles = $7000.
A 4 month trip of 7000 miles with lots of boondocking = $7000 (not including food as we have to eat no matter where we are) so one quarter of the cost per month. This year we did a one month trip of 7000 mi……..with our Honda Civic and motels and some family. Cost $2500.
Next year we will take a similar trip with our 22 yrs old Newmar DP. (Still in great shape and at a flat depreciation curve, maybe even ascending). But spread it over 4 months fuel prices be damned.

As far a fuel prices go. We are still lucky. We pay a lot less than most of the developed world.

And please folks and MODERATOR. Let’s NOT make this a political issue, cause it’s not. And if it were this in NOT the place for it.
Roadyacht1 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-18-2022, 01:37 PM   #152

Back in the day...

We had to carry a water bag on the front & 5 gal gas can in the trunk to get across the desert west when dad came back from Europe. Funny thing about profitable companies: they remain in business. Those unprofitable businesses are either auctioneer supplied or left to scavenger reclaiming.
Our family has been on all four sides of that box across generations & generations.
Long ago a guy I worked with from Argentina taught me, inflation @ 150% was good, so buy the best property you can with the longest mortgage you can find. 40-50 years if possible, then the last 30 years are but a nickel a month
Seems hard to accept with but a decade or less, being an invalid now, but maybe not.

Having traveled much of the world, I learned: get off the plane, walk into the first grocery store you see, check the price of bread, eggs, & produce. That compared to back home is the real exchange rate. Check it a week later & that's inflation.

We've been through 3 maybe 4 of these worst things the world has ever seen in our lifetime. Not good but use your brain, study a bit of history, ONLY THEN decide what you're going to need & do!

Quote:
You are correct. It is not the oil companies because crude oil is bought on the stock market at 6 month contracts. It is the refineries and distributorbailed out the banks and the big 3 auto manufacturers. Unfortunately they passed the debt onto consumers.

Electric vehicles are the way to go. With a lack of charging stations, still need hybrids.
Mot W is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-18-2022, 04:28 PM   #153

High fuel prices over the years...

I was in Kuwait in 2008 when gas spiked up, but I do know that here in NE Ohio the wife paid $4+ per gallon. Adjusted for inflation after 14years, it's probably more than now. It's balanced by my reduced income, which isn't getting better thanks to inflation.

Oh- and because of other circumstances, we won't have our MH out this year, but if we were able, we would. Would probably 1) take shorter trips and 2) stay longer at each place. At the rate that I understand that motels and hotels rates are going up, it could end up "even steven" or even cheaper in the RV.

We shall survive this, as we have before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisDParise View Post
Some average gas prices (remember averages include lows and highs) over the last 20 years or so. I know I paid close to or over $ 4/gallon prior to this year. On the tollways and touristy areas. 2008 - 2014 in particular.

Just sayin.

I will save money in other ways to offset higher fuel costs just to make me feel better but otherwise will just pay and enjoy rving.

They will come down againAttachment 368027
MSGDLD is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-18-2022, 05:08 PM   #154

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
You mean 1mpg difference right?
semperfical is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Tags
gas