Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-11-2022, 05:37 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmandoug1 View Post
So you will score a cheap 45 that you couldn't afford before and then drive it at the cost of one buck per mile! Should be around the original cost of the motorhome after mile 10k

No, fuel goes down and you sell it back to the guy that sold it at a loss and make a buck. So you used it for free. LOL
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-11-2022, 05:45 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha_Rooster View Post
No, fuel goes down and you sell it back to the guy that sold it at a loss and make a buck. So you used it for free. LOL
If you could pull that off it would be a great move and the guy would deserve it at that point.
tmandoug1 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-11-2022, 05:48 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by shootist View Post
You assume much
I prefer extrapolated and or deduced. Didn't mean to offend.....I did it with houses after the crash.
Old 06-11-2022, 05:49 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeybitsko View Post
What makes anyone think gas will stop at 10 bucks a gallon?
Because demand will fall as worldwide usage of EV’s continues to rise. There will eventually be downward pressure on fuel prices.
radar is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-11-2022, 06:10 AM   #47

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
I think the increased cost of fuel will cause many, after a prolonged time of disbelief / denial , to cut back. They can’t keep borrowing or eating up any meager savings they have. It’s not just the fuel , as anyone eating out or buying groceries knows. That and the Added fun of breakdown parts not being available .. My bet if this continues, by the end of the summer ,reality and growing credit card bills will force some rethinking. Some of the youngsters didn’t go through the 70’s fuel crisis and early 80’s. It’s not the end of the world but it can be a wake up to many.
Old 06-11-2022, 06:31 AM   #48

I've told the wife we are no longer eating out if we are within an hour of home. We've closed off three rooms in the house to hold the hvac costs at bay. Wish I had a kid who would give me 10%.
Old 06-11-2022, 06:41 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmandoug1 View Post
I'm downsizing to an E-bike and towing a shopping cart. When the food and fuel runs out I'm going to stand under a wind turbine and take the dead birds and cook them on a solar panel. Adapt and overcome ...it is human nature!

Sarcasm....people...sarcasm.
Just remember when you go for the highway steaks they should still be steaming when you scrape them up.
GABob is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-11-2022, 08:37 AM   #50

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Fuel is still a rounding error overall compared to coach cost, insurance, maintenance, and camping. We own them to use them. We are not adjusting our plans.

Maybe the higher fuel prices will then out some traffic and open up the roads. That is wishful thinking.
Sold 2017 Entegra Cornerstone B
RVFunlovers is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-11-2022, 10:10 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by GABob View Post
Just remember when you go for the highway steaks they should still be steaming when you scrape them up.
Have you any Bluetails over there? My cat eats them so they must be tasty. Sprinkle with scorpion dust. MMMM
Old 06-11-2022, 10:14 AM   #52

Rexhall Owners Group
Just turned 79 so I've lived through a few of these cycles. Based on history, prices are not going to stay high. Based on the greed of the oil company executives, prices are not going to stay high. But that's also contingent on us, you and me and the millions that control the economy. If we continue to pay these inflated prices, there will be no incentive for anyone to lower prices.

So based on my simple assessment, if we really want prices to drop, stop buying. RV prices would tank if we stopped buying RVs. RV parks will lower prices if no one shows up.

It's really simple. It's called supply and demand. We are the critical part of the equation, demand.
garyb1st is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-11-2022, 11:57 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyb1st View Post
Just turned 79 so I've lived through a few of these cycles. Based on history, prices are not going to stay high. Based on the greed of the oil company executives, prices are not going to stay high. But that's also contingent on us, you and me and the millions that control the economy. If we continue to pay these inflated prices, there will be no incentive for anyone to lower prices.

So based on my simple assessment, if we really want prices to drop, stop buying. RV prices would tank if we stopped buying RVs. RV parks will lower prices if no one shows up.

It's really simple. It's called supply and demand. We are the critical part of the equation, demand.
I believe supply and demand does make a difference in gas prices, I also believe policy contributes to gas prices, hence the drastic swings in price every time we switch party control. The word futures comes to mind. The Pandemic, policy change, demand, and war are all contributing to this crisis. Let's just hope the fuel issue doesn't lead to other issues down the road. I believe 100s of of oil companies went bankrup during the pandemic as well....not sure that had a huge effect though. If we tip than RVing and camping spots will be the least of our worries.
Old 06-11-2022, 01:11 PM   #54

Monaco Owners Club
We'll not be downsizing but I think our 13K mile summers are over. We've not been traveling for two years but are preparing to do some shorter trips during these higher fuel prices.

In 2011 on a trip to Alaska, we broke the $6.50 a gallon (gasoline) barrier in Canada and $5.50 in AK. So, these fuel prices are scary but our trip to Nashville in Oct. for grand D's wedding WILL happen. Sure, the trip will be extra expensive, but so are divorces.

'05 Monaco Windsor 40 DST - ISL / '08 Wrangler
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-11-2022, 01:52 PM   #55

Some average gas prices (remember averages include lows and highs) over the last 20 years or so. I know I paid close to or over $ 4/gallon prior to this year. On the tollways and touristy areas. 2008 - 2014 in particular.

Just sayin.

I will save money in other ways to offset higher fuel costs just to make me feel better but otherwise will just pay and enjoy rving.

They will come down againClick image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20220611-133046_Chrome.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	26.7 KB
ID:	368027
ChrisDParise is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-11-2022, 02:10 PM   #56

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We already have two short trips planned this Summer. I think what we will do is not travel as much and stay longer. I'm 81 and we can afford to do what we want, but I still hate to over spend on fuel. It's the Scotch heritage in me.

Next Winter we will probably drive south to a location and stay there instead of roaming around as we usually do.

We live in a nice place on a lake here in the Land of Ten Thousand Taxes, so it's not a problem to stay home in the good weather.

I am thinking however that the GC industry will suffer a bit from all of this.
2012 Journey 36M, Cummings 360hp
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Tags
gas