Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-11-2018, 02:35 PM   #1

Why air bags?

Trading to an a-class again. This one is an ACE30.1
my question is that it has air bags on the back suspenion, a compressor under the hood and a toggle on dash. Why do people invest in this? And how does one know how n when to use? Thanks
Quickuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-11-2018, 02:38 PM   #2

aftermarket add-on? who knows.. but I imagine the original owner can tell you
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 02:39 PM   #3

I would guess it had a saggy back end.
Old 04-11-2018, 02:49 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I would guess he hauled something that made the rear end sag. Hmmm, I wonder what it was? Likely it was heavy, necessitating the air bags. What is the tow capacity on the hitch and on the rig?
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 03:40 PM   #5

Spartan Chassis
I agree. Towing something with substantial tongue weight like a cargo, horse or boat trailer rather than a car four down. Air helper springs are a quick and easy way to take care of squat from tongue weight. Not necessarily the best way but it gets it done.
Sneelock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 03:54 PM   #6

I would research the OEM tongue weight and tow ratings for that chassis. I've read on this forum that tongue weight can be a real area of concern on some gas motor homes and whether the frame is rated for much more than towing a toad.sounds like the PO towed something heavy.
StephenW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 08:22 PM   #7

Well in some circumstances my rear end drags and the bottom of my rear doors show it. There are just times when you can't get that right cross angle to "walk" across gas station entrances and exits. An airbag lift that is driver controlled would be of interest to me. I just ordered some caster wheels to have welded to the frame but will see what I can find on these bags of wind. Wait a minute!!!!!
This isn't some kind of sick wife joke is it?

Sudsy
Old 04-12-2018, 02:15 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickuc View Post
Trading to an a-class again. This one is an ACE30.1
my question is that it has air bags on the back suspenion, a compressor under the hood and a toggle on dash. Why do people invest in this? And how does one know how n when to use? Thanks
According to the original brochure for our RV, the models over 25 feet all had air bags as optional equipment and from 25 feet down they did not. Ours is right at 25 feet and seems fine without them. If I were towing a trailer with lots of tongue weight I would probably add them. I would add them for a 30 foot class C. Our first class C had them, and I used them all the time.

There can be a big difference in the way the RV is loaded depending on where your tanks are located. Most people travel with tanks nearly empty, but if you boondock they will often be full. Even though the weight may distribution may be the same, the RV will handle better if it is level than it does with the rear down. Add air as needed to keep the coach level. On the old RV, we used to run about 50-60 psi.
Teamfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 07:45 AM   #9

You know how thats goes, bought from Camping World so heaven forbid they give me that info.but I dfid get an address 100 miles away...
Old 04-13-2018, 08:39 AM   #10

From someone who added air bags to all the Gas coaches I owned (4) I can tell you I added them for several reasons. I did all four corners not just the rears and they were all isolated. I had the on board compressor and controls right at my finger tips.

1) The ride is a bit better when you get a little air in the bags. They worked kind of like a progressive suspension they would take the jarring impact of road issues before the springs had to.
2) I could level the coach front to back side to side.
3) On occasion when we did a quick over night and didn't want to or couldn't use the jacks they helped level it.

Those were my reasons.
I also just bought a Ram Limited and got the air suspension on that as well.
Nasdaqsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 10:41 PM   #11

Thanks, really good information. So your setup tells you how much pressure is at all corners? And you can direct air to any corner. Guess I need to take a hard look at my setup. We got it home just today, I hope the air support will be a plus, once I figure out whats up.
Old 04-18-2018, 01:36 PM   #12
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"Quickuc".....I had a 32' Fleetwood Terra for about a year. I park my RV at my house where I have a fairly steep ramp up to my parking site. When I had the Terra, I added Firestone airbags, the compressor and the switch to my dash. When I would arrive home, I could fully inflate the airbags and lift the rear of the coach high enough to clear my steep ramp.

With all that said, there was a side affect. The Terra handled substantially better with the air bags. I was able to level the rear both front to back and side to side. I also routinely towed a boat and the air bags leveled out the coach while towing.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air