RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-21-2021, 02:22 PM   #29

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Yamaha 5500W RV inverter genset:

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM
Mark_K5LXP is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-21-2021, 02:58 PM   #30

The NPS 4500 and 5500 generators don't list any sound level specs, that I can find.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 05:43 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by lola and i View Post
My converter says it is 45 amp but only 3 amps for charging
I am not doubting you, but something does not seem right with that, especially if it is a "standard" built in converter.

What unit is it? Most have some form of multi stage charging, and that does not happen with 3 amps.
Nwcid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 12:28 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nwcid View Post
I am not doubting you, but something does not seem right with that, especially if it is a "standard" built in converter.

What unit is it? Most have some form of multi stage charging, and that does not happen with 3 amps.

Thanks for the reply, please see the attachment pic for the info.
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210221_100959.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	192.3 KB
ID:	318857
Old 02-22-2021, 07:44 PM   #33

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
I like the way you are playing it out, it makes dollars and cents. I am planning to take that advice to add an AGS, also a soft start for the roof AC units and a NOCO Genius GENPRO10X3, 3-Bank, 30-Amp (10-Amp Per Bank) Fully-Automatic Smart Marine Charger, 12V Onboard Battery Charger, Battery Maintainer and Battery Desulfator with Temperature Compensation. The Noco will be a huge upgrade over the existing charger, the soft start will allow me to run both AC units on the generator or 30 amps shore power and the AGS to make it happen with minimal intervention.
Which AGS are you looking at?

Thus far I have never had a real situation when both ACs were needed where I only had 30 amp shore power. At home I have played with it and sometimes both run and sometimes it shuts down I quit trying because it sounded kind of weird.

Oddly our experience is we either have 50 amp service or only 15/20 service where we are confined to 1 AC regardless. I am sure it will happen eventually to be at pole with 30 amp and no 50 amp? But hey any excuse to run generator is to me what it is all about. Never had situation where at night it was so hot that I needed both ACs anyway.

Speaking of hot, we just survived that crazy freeze here in Dallas. I pulled out my portable inverter and it ran 3 straight days non stop. I have a transfer switch at home so we had all the essentials in the house with no extension cords. Because power would only stay on 30 min to an hour before shutting off again I just kept the generator running so I didn't have to fool with flipping circuit breakers and restarting genset. I had to refuel ever 6 1/2 hours (1.8 gal of gas). It was by far the best workout that generator has had since I bough new 10 years ago. Our home stayed warm and it has paid for itself (again). I started the RV up twice during the freeze and engine and Onan 5500 (67db) started up with no issues and no priming.
2019 Sunstar 29VE Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; EC-30 AGS Nighthawk X4 AC2200 WiFi EX7300; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 08:01 PM   #34

Quote:
It looks like you are right. I did some research on it and there are a lot of negative reviews on that unit. Search "model 6345 power converter charging" and there are a lot of results.

It so yes, 10 amps/battery is a lot more. Just keep in mind that you will need about 1hr of charging for every 10% of battery usage in the system you proposed. That is not to say it is good or bad.
Nwcid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 11:43 PM   #35

[QUOTE=dkoldman;5647162]Which AGS are you looking at?

Magnum ME-AGS-S stand alone AGS
Old 02-23-2021, 01:54 AM   #36

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
[QUOTE=lola and i;5647438]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
Which AGS are you looking at?

Magnum ME-AGS-S stand alone AGS
I have heard nothing but good from Magnum. It was in the coach standard I was looking to buy originally. The coach we bought (Winnebago 29VE) was perfect but no AGS, the model above it Adventurer) came with the Onan EC-30 AGS standard but the coach was $25k more and it was only relevant difference to us.

I got with Cummins directly and had Winnebago dealer install the below the way it was installed in the Adventurer, but I went a step further. I had then wire the shore sense wire in front of the ATS. So with my unit when I am driving and the ACs are on, when I get to the campsite gensets continues to run. When I finally get to connecting shorepower it will automatically shut the genset down

Similarly, if I am at a campsite and power is loss, my EC-30 will automatically start regardless. It cost a little more than I had hoped (*Dealer labor) but I just love it. Onan extended the warranty from 1 year to 3 year to align with my generator which was a nice touch.

See below

2019 Sunstar 29VE Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; EC-30 AGS Nighthawk X4 AC2200 WiFi EX7300; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator, honda, onan