Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-28-2022, 06:11 PM   #1

Why do we never hear about rv fuel tanks rusting through?

Mufflers rust through
Exhaust rust through
Frame rust through…
Radiators rust through…
Oil coolers rust through…
Charge coolers rust through…

Yet I haven’t seen 1 post on rv fuel tanks (diesel or gas) springing a leak…

Why is that?
bpu699 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-28-2022, 06:57 PM   #2

Thicker metal.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 07:01 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_HiTek View Post
Thicker metal.
Than a frame?

Or exhaust?
bpu699 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 07:03 PM   #4

A lot of class Cs and gas Class As have plastic tanks .
Those with steel tanks are usually THICK metal , to avoid the need for internal bracing .
Diesel fuel tanks , even contaminated with water , would not rust through the tanks 1/4" steel ; in my life time anyway.
Old 06-28-2022, 07:04 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Are they galvanized or lined ????
Old 06-28-2022, 07:08 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpu699 View Post
Than a frame?

Or exhaust?
Yes on the exhaust. But the frame, no, however, I've never seen or read of an RV frame that actually rusted through. They should take a few hundred years for that but it can be accelerated if you drive your RV around the rust belt in winter, it would still take decades, or so I've read and seen. Sheet metal? Yeah, that'll rust through in a few seasons, but the tanks are thicker. And often positioned in such a way as they won't receive a lot of road liquid while driving. Forward and centered between the wheels for example.

I will be interested in seeing any frame rust through pictures you may have.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 07:08 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpu699 View Post
Than a frame?

Or exhaust?
Haven't heard about frames rusting through .

Would you buy a muffler that weighed 350 lbs ,It'll last .
Old 06-28-2022, 11:32 PM   #8

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
RUST only comes from water and ethanol mix usually allows small amounts of water to mix w/ the ethanol and move on thru system and be burned vs sitting in bottom of tank. ONE of the ONLY benefits of ethanol. (IMHO) Another is that EPA rules now seal fuel systems vs vented to atmosphere in 20s to 1970s? This minimizes CONDENSATION compared to old days/ old ways/ old tanks, (both underground and vehicle)
Old 06-30-2022, 09:58 PM   #9

Mine is aluminum
shootist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 02:36 PM   #10

About 15 years ago, on my previous RV (a Class C built on a 2002 Ford F450) I was filling up with gas one day, and toward the end of the fill-up, I noticed gas was streaming onto the ground. Since the chassis was still under warranty, I took it to a Ford dealership that worked on larger vehicles. They dropped the tank and found that it was rusted through at some bolt on the top (or something like that). They replaced the tank and the warranty covered everything. That incident was one of a few that made me think it might have sat in minor flood waters for a time before I purchased it. I'm sorry I don't have any pictures, but if I'm recalling correctly what I was told, this might be an example of a gas tank actually rusting through.
Old 07-01-2022, 02:46 PM   #11

I haven't owned anything with a metal tank since the seventies, I just asumed most were plastic by now. I do remember issues with older F-450 and 550 trucks where the metal tanks were lined inside and the lining would de-laminate and lead to clogging issues. My Dad bought a brand new one in the eighties that had sat on the lot for a long time in the Northern Illinois cold winter, with next to no fuel in it. Both tanks had to be replaced.
Do those of you with the large 100+ gallon tanks have steel tanks? Even on the newer ones?
bigb56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 02:50 PM   #12

Back in the '70's, I had many rusted pinholes in car gas tanks. I always had some of that two-part epoxy gas tank repair putty with me. But I also had many cars with horrible rust throughout the metal bodywork.

Metal treatment is so much better now. Even in Minnesota - land of road salt - it's rare to see a badly-rusted body on a post-80's car.

1993 Rockwood 28' Class C - Ford E-350 7.5L
Bobby F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 03:24 PM   #13

'79 Ford PKP truck gas tank with pinhole corrosion midway underneath mounting strap. PA vehicles bathed in salt every winter.
Old 07-01-2022, 06:14 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by THenne1713 View Post
RUST only comes from water and ethanol mix usually allows small amounts of water to mix w/ the ethanol and move on thru system and be burned vs sitting in bottom of tank. ONE of the ONLY benefits of ethanol. (IMHO) Another is that EPA rules now seal fuel systems vs vented to atmosphere in 20s to 1970s? This minimizes CONDENSATION compared to old days/ old ways/ old tanks, (both underground and vehicle)

If they are truly sealed, how does outside air enter the tank as fuel level lowers?? If no outside air can enter, the fuel pump would eventually pull a vacuum in the tank.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel, rust, tank