Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-20-2023, 08:16 AM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If this is something that you plan to do often, another option is to install "soft starts" on your A/C's. The problem isn't running the A/C's; it is starting the A/C's. Soft starts change the way that the compressor starts so that it doesn't require as much current. They ain't cheap, but may be worth it if you dry camp or camp in 30-amp sites a lot.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-21-2023, 07:14 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gormleys View Post
If this is something that you plan to do often, another option is to install "soft starts" on your A/C's. The problem isn't running the A/C's; it is starting the A/C's. Soft starts change the way that the compressor starts so that it doesn't require as much current. They ain't cheap, but may be worth it if you dry camp or camp in 30-amp sites a lot.
This thread brings up a question I have had in the back of my mind for quite sometime.
Why don't the AC manufacturers build these AC units and ship them out with "Soft Start" capacitors already installed so they will operate on a 30 Amp FHU?
I don't think anyone would object to a small price increase in the units if they were more user friendly.
Old 05-21-2023, 09:40 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by LETMGROW View Post
This thread brings up a question I have had in the back of my mind for quite sometime.
Why don't the AC manufacturers build these AC units and ship them out with "Soft Start" capacitors already installed so they will operate on a 30 Amp FHU?
I don't think anyone would object to a small price increase in the units if they were more user friendly.

Excellent point. Common sense has left the room.
bobmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2023, 09:57 AM   #18

Or they don't recommend them.

How can they warrantee a compressor if its allowed to run on marginal power.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2023, 08:14 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeB View Post
Are AC is in the basement
The ColemanMach basement units will run on 30A, but if you have a EMS it will shut off #2 compressor if you turn anything else on.
Here is the service manual that also explains operation.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2023, 02:52 PM   #20

I installed a soft start in one of our AC units and I can easily run two ACs on 30 amp. Bit pricey but easy to install and they do what they say.
Cordodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2023, 08:20 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cordodge View Post
I installed a soft start in one of our AC units and I can easily run two ACs on 30 amp. Bit pricey but easy to install and they do what they say.
Those devices cannot be used with a basement heat pump, there is no room for mounting one, let alone two.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Old 05-25-2023, 09:16 PM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
Soft start also comes as a pedestal unit with surge protection.
2020 Tahoe LT
mahdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2023, 11:07 PM   #23

We use our ac on 30amp shore line and boondocking with 30amp generator all the time with no problems .
Just do not use microwave and Elect hot h20 heater at the same time with ac.
Old 05-25-2023, 11:08 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahdi View Post
Soft start also comes as a pedestal unit with surge protection.

So how would that interact with the 2 OEM hard-start caps in the electrical box of the basement unit?
Old 05-26-2023, 04:38 AM   #25

Yeah didn't realize he was talking about a basement unit and I also don't know anything about those but just wanted to give my experience using with the soft start in general. They are like 6"x4"x2" and are fairly simple to hook up
Cordodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2023, 04:56 AM   #26

30 amp service can run one roof top AC no problem, depending on your EMS you can run two, but you will shed your first AC when you turn on the second one. Once the initial draw gets to 15 amps then the sheded AC will turn on its compressor. Only one problem, once you turn on the Microwave, or anything you will shed your ACs immediately.

Don’t fret. I have an all electric motorhome, even on 50 amps with all 3 ACs running on a hot day, if I turn on the microwave, induction cooktop, or run my washer & dryer I will shed my ACs.

Your EMS should mange the power just fine and not blow a breaker or fuse.
2cyber71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2023, 06:00 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeB View Post
Our MH is 50amp. Can we run the AC if we only have 30amp hook-ups?

My question will it do any damage?

Thanks LeeB
We are a 50 amp coach with 2 15 kw heat pumps. Installed 2 SoftStart units and can run both units with no problems. They now have upgraded units that are easier to install. I would go that avenue when only 30 amp supply is what you have.
Old 05-26-2023, 06:04 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by LETMGROW View Post
They won't take anything out of their profit margins to solve a known problem.