Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-28-2018, 04:08 PM   #15

Thanks for the tips. I keep detailed records on the trailer and "I am sure it would be even more critical for the coach.
Sondis is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-28-2018, 04:15 PM   #16

Wife Needs Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sondis View Post
You all are great. I hope the younger generation of campers will learn how important graciousness and a helpful attitude is. You all have given me great tips and information to consider. I have a set-up and take down list but the problem is I am not sure he has done it correctly in most cases. I guess my biggest concern is hitching the trailer to the truck and attaching the sway bars in a correct manner. Any suggestions in that area would be appreciated.

If you are going to pull a
Toad hooking it up
Would be just as much trouble as hooking up your trailer
brabono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 04:42 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy View Post
As mentioned, the only real hangup "might" be the black tank dump system. That can be learned but if you can't do it I'm sure someone would be willing to help say for a cheap bottle of wine? :-)
I saw that someone mentioned that turning the end caps might take some strength, but not that learning how to dump tanks is particularly difficult.

That makes me think, though. I've noticed that men usually do the tank dumping, and always wondered why. I assumed it was payback for women changing thousands of diapers, but now I think it may be that women have convinced men that dumping the tanks requires someone with superior intelligence, to entice them to do it.

Quote:
I guess my biggest concern is hitching the trailer to the truck and attaching the sway bars in a correct manner. Any suggestions in that area would be appreciated.
Your original question was whether setting up and tearing down a motorhome is easier than a trailer. Since a motorhome doesn't have sway bars, I think the clear answer is "yes."

Quote:
Originally Posted by brabono View Post
If you are going to pull a
Toad hooking it up
Would be just as much trouble as hooking up your trailer
I don't think so. I've watched people hooking up trailers, and they have to back up with precision. There's no backing up when hooking up a toad. And no turning things to make it go up and down on the hitch.
oatmeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 04:44 PM   #18

The class a would be a good option and make getting campsite set up easy and mostly done inside vs a trailer. The hydraulic jacks are simple and slides are simple. Water and electric are plug and play. We camped in a very unlevel site and levelers got us level pushing one button. My wife wanted to get a travel trailer to start out due to cost but I got a Thor Ace at a good deal and she is thankful every trip she tells me. Watching guys with drivers for stabilizing and blocks for leveling looks like a pain to me.

I’d say go for it and get the unit you want. Enjoy the time you have left with your husband and make memories.
Old 10-28-2018, 07:56 PM   #19

Okay, I think we can assume now that you are referring to the Vista 35B?

Here's the floor plan for anybody who is interested:

theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 01:52 PM   #20

THe steps can be a dangerous place on a motor home. I made a cover over the stepwell by using 1/2 inch plywood and some 1x1 boards so the DW wouldn't step in it. Saved her more than once.
pecooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 02:26 PM   #21

I have been concerned about that issue for both of us.
Old 10-29-2018, 03:29 PM   #22

Regarding replacing benches with chairs - If the floorplan posted by Roc is correct, the replacement would be dependent upon the contents of the benches. Another idea to consider is to leave the benches and make a new table top that can fold in half. Fold it back and your husband can sit. Flip the end of the table over to hold the food. All it would take is a saw, piano hinge, and a second table leg. If you wanted to keep the original for resale, a new table top would be needed as well. Makes standing easier as well.

Where there is a will, there is a way. Its commendable what you are willing to take on to minimize the impacts of a terrible illness.
Ndrorder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 05:08 PM   #23
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"Sondis"....Sorry for what you're going through. From what you're describing, you may soon have issues getting him in and out of the RV. Newmar makes handicap motor homes that have built in lifts, something you may need in the future.

With that said, I may be out of line and don't know your financial situation, but is getting into a motor home a wise move at this time. I don't want to discourage you from buying, but from your description, will he be able to still go camping in the next 12 months, 18 months. Will it cause a financial burden to buy another RV and then not be able to use it. Again, not trying to pry into your business, but being realistic.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 10:38 PM   #24

A few more suggestions that could make Class A shift go easier for you. Getting a tow bar that is easier to unhook if on uneven ground, is worth paying a bit more for. Also look at the weight of the arms, and lighter might be better for you. Asking for pull thru's in parks, will reduce the need for backing up. And on Don's tactful train of thought, perhaps a handicap RV is worth considering.

And salute to you both!
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 06:20 AM   #25

I completely understand the desire for a large class A. I’m going to list a few attributes for a small class A and 2 occupants:

The couch can double as a bed.
Plenty of storage and carrying capacity.
Easy to park and no need for a second vehicle. People normally don’t pull a second vehicle behind a car or truck.
You can park at a hospital or doctors office.
Good opportunity for downsizing your life. A simple life and routine are your friends now.
Pull into a spot, set parking brake, push button to deploy slides, push button to level up if needed, stop engine, cook dinner and go to sleep.
Mornings wake up and take a shower, eat breakfast, plan the day, start engine, push button to retract levelers, push button to retract slides, release parking brake and go.
Old 10-30-2018, 07:25 AM   #26

You are not out of line at all with your comments. They are welcome and appreciated because you all are giving me good information to ponder.
Old 10-30-2018, 07:32 AM   #27

Any suggestions for a smaller class A.? We went from a tiny pop up trailer that we pulled with a Honda trike to our current Passport 23RB. We think we are in something BIG after our little bitty pop up. ��.
Old 10-30-2018, 08:18 AM   #28

Quote:
Any suggestions for a smaller class A.? We went from a tiny pop up trailer that we pulled with a Honda trike to our current Passport 23RB. We think we are in something BIG after our little bitty pop up. ��.
Have you considered a B+ in the 23-25 ft range? While I don't own one yet, it's where we've narrowed our focus to for many reasons, including some of yours.
KanzKran is offline   Reply With Quote