Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-03-2021, 12:08 PM   #1

Window Gasket on door

Like several posts over the past, the window gasket on my MH door has shrunk and pulled out. I'm afraid of moisture (rain) getting in the door cavity and causing bigger problems.

There have been several posts suggesting 303 - I assume their protectant as one link led to. When I get to a store, I'll get some of that. In the meantime, I've used a different brand of silicone protectant that sounds similar.

My question is - is there a tool to help seat the gasket back in the channel? I've tried pushing it back in with my fingers and thumb, but it just pops back out. I'm concerned that using a screwdriver or putty knife might tear the gasket rubber.

Any suggestions on getting it re-seated?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-04-2021, 02:44 AM   #2

New gasket?
Old 08-04-2021, 12:57 PM   #3

Vintage RV Owners Club
I had to have the door replaced on my 1997 Winnebago brave. It cost as much to have shipped as it did for the part and labor combined. It took quite a while for it to settle in and close it open smoothly. And I had to seal around the whole thing with silicone twice. And then it’s settled some more and I had to do it again. I don’t know if that’s exactly the same thing that you’re going through, but silicone is your friend. The gorilla worked the best for me. You might also want to try flexseal.
RDire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 08:00 PM   #4

Black urethane windshield gasket sealer will fill the gap and seal the leaks. DO NOT use silicone! Nothing else wills stick to it and it will lift after curing causing a leak later. There is a reason it is the cheapest sealant/caulking sold.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 08:06 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
Window Gasket on door

Can you post a picture of the window and rubber trim?

I just replace a small section on our door tonight that had shrunk leaving gaps at corner. If your window is like mine. I just pulled out the old and cut a new one slightly longer than the opening then it is just pushed back in place. The window is actually sealed with another gasket the outer rubber helps hold the glass in place and shed water.
This is the rubber trim used on my window.

https://www.pellandent.com/One-Eighth-Inch-Glazing-Bead

Door window is constructed just like the window I reseated on drivers side in the post below.
https://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/spr...ml#post4717719

Tags
door, gas, gasket, wind, window