Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-27-2010, 06:31 PM   #1
doc

Appalachian Campers
Windshield boo boo

Couple of days ago as we headed east on I-90 around Mitchell SD a propane hauler passed us and tossed a pecan size rock off the road and nailed our one piece (looks like half an acre ) windshield on the MH. Now we have a nice star about big as a half dollar. There are three or four little spider legs, but they have not grown since the the impact.
I really hate to see the windshield removed and replaced, because these are had to get sealed so they won't leak. I have heard about the polymer chip fix and wonder if the spider legs can be drilled to prevent growing and then whole filled. Anyone have any experience with this? Ever had a windshield drilled? Does it work and does the finished product affect vision ?
Is there a national company who repairs these things?
Any comments welcomed.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-27-2010, 06:45 PM   #2
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I was having a discussion about windshield repair and it was stated to call your insurance company and see if the can recommend someone in your area that does repair. They would rather pay for the repair than replace the windshield. Just a thought.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 06:55 PM   #3

Forest River Owners Club
We have had many repaired over the years by Safelite and others sent by our insurance company ...some repair well and others don't depending on the crack and/or the skill of the person doing the repair. It CERTAINLY is worth a try!!
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 06:59 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Had two small chips repaired on our previous coach and even though repaired, the chips still show, but they never spread. If it is in your line of vision to the road, you may want to check to see how visible it will be before doing a repair.
Tony
Freightliner Chassis, Cummins engine, FMCA #408511
figallegro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 07:07 PM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Boo Boo

Just had a pea size fixed, yours sounds to big to fix. It cost $80.00 to fix ours at our location.

Old 09-27-2010, 07:08 PM   #6

to drill it yourself you need a diamond bit. and you want to drill at the end of the spider leg to releave the pressure. you can get this at a hobby store or some of the better hardware places. also there is a windshield repair kit called a Bullseye repair kit available at autoparts stores or online. BUT if you can get it repaired by a professional you are way better ahead. if none of them will touch it then i would have a go at it. you would have to replace the windshield anyways right? i fixed one like this and it lasted awhile but wasnt the prettiest thing.
dalek_56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 07:16 PM   #7

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
If it is in your line of vision to the road
If it is the driver's line of vision, the commercial repair folks will not/are not allowed to repair it for liability reasons...
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 09:05 PM   #8

It depends on whether your state's annual inspection (if you have one) handles windshield chips. Whan we lived in Virginia, any chip in the area swept by the wipers was not permitted and the windshield had to be replaced. Chip repairs weren't around back then, so the rules may have been relaxed.
Old 09-27-2010, 09:11 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
A-1 Auto Glass

90 N Polk Street

Eugene, OR 97402-7109

I used them to replace 1/2 of our mh windshield, Prepare to stay one full 24 hour period.
Renipladlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 09:20 PM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renipladlo View Post
A-1 Auto Glass

90 N Polk Street

Eugene, OR 97402-7109

I used them to replace 1/2 of our mh windshield, Prepare to stay one full 24 hour period.

OP stated I-90 in SOUTH DAKOTA... little off from Oregon if you ask me...

i had safelite reseal ours, had the insurance pay for it, called it out from the "hail damage" that loosened the seal, they were more than happy to have the window removed, cleaned, and new sealant installed... BEST GLASS COMPANY I'VE EVER HAD THE PLEASURE OF WORKING WITH... and they are nation wide so I would give your insurance a call and then them! AND...........according to their commercials here in Oklahoma City... "they take care of the insurance paperwork for you" so i'd put them to that test...
Old 09-27-2010, 11:50 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Ok, not to disparage Safelight Glass, but the company I recommended is a sub company to the manufacturer and distributor of all or most of the glass that is used in the MH industry. So as an installer, they also worked with the manufacturers to make sure the workers knew how to correctly install the glass in the production of the coaches.

They quoted me one price and the job came in under that after the job was completed. The warranty is great, even though its been over a year, I’m sure they will take care of the star without a charge. Now, it’s also not cost effective to drive a long way for this, so I would at least call them, and see whom they recommend in the area you are in, because like I said, they are a partner with the company who makes and distributes the glass to the manufacturers.
Renipladlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 12:18 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Safelite just fixed a rock chip in my 1 piece windshield. The local shop will not repair any area bigger than a quarter. GMAC paid the entire repair bill.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 09:21 AM   #13
doc

Appalachian Campers
Thanks guys, I have heard of safelite. We are back home in Ga now, so Oregon might be a little bit of a stretch. Calling the insurance company in a few minutes to see what they want to do. Last time I checked years ago, there was no deductible on glass breakage here in Georgia. Thanks for the ideas. I expect this would be a project that I would be well over my head in taking on.
Old 09-28-2010, 06:19 PM   #14
doc

Appalachian Campers
Talked to insurance company today and they hooked me up with Safelite. Tech will be here in the AM. The guy in Arizona I spoke with for Safelite said if the spot could be covered by a dollar bill, they could fix it. Progressive waived any deductible - with the cost of a windshield that size vs the cost of a repair they certainly should. Safelite does not do the huge one piece monsters according to the rep. Don't blame them. This thing has got be HEAVY.
Anyway, it went much smoother than I anticipated dealing with the companies. If the tech can do a good job and the thing does not crack further I will be a happy camper.