Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-03-2017, 08:46 AM   #15

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Once you get the windshield covered then you might as well keep going. A lot of coaches has dark paint on the cap above the windshield as do I. I had flashbacks to my youth and the playground slide when I keeled down on the cap to snap my cover in place. Not an ideal place for sudden movements.

When set up, I normally leave the A/V cabinet door open to vent the heat generated from the equipment. Recently when I was tracing a bad electrical ground behind the A/V cabinet I discovered the equipment wasn't the majority generator of the heat. There was only a small piece of fiberglass insulation and it was lying flat in the space and not up against the inside of the cap. ADD another project to list (insulate the top of the cap).
Playtime III is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-03-2017, 02:25 PM   #16

Magna Shade is probably the best thing I have purchased. It takes less than a minute to install without needing a ladder or crawling on top of the coach. They are not cheap but very few worthwhile things in life are.
Old 06-03-2017, 02:36 PM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
My solution is to place 3/4" rigid foam insulation panels, available at home centers. inside the winshield and single pane front windows. Cut to fit the shape. 3/4" weatherstrip makes them have tension top, bottom, and sides (on every other panel) to make it air tight and stay against glass securely.

I also put white vinyl outside on the part of the winshield that is painted black on the back side where the cabinets above the dashboard are. I also put white vinyl on top of the fiberglass cap.

Combination of these three things makes it possible to keep the beast cool even when front of coach is parked into the sun.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3475.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	178.2 KB
ID:	163965  
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 03:27 PM   #18
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Magne Shade is the best solution. You can see through it, it's easy to put up and take down. It looks good and the make the shades for the side windows too.

Home | Magne Shade | Sunshade for RV, RV Shade, Installs from the ground, Magnetic Shade, Magnet Shade
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 06:04 PM   #19
NRR

Solo Rvers Club
So sorry for this but get a Class C with a cab over for storage. That is what I did after having a class A.

I even have three doors to get out of the thing every day to get gas.
NRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 02:39 PM   #20

We had Red Hot Interiors in Bend, OR make custom shades for our coach. They attach to the outside but do a great job of keeping the heat out and have some privacy. Downside is you have to break out the collapsible ladder to put them on.
snowman1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heat