Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-21-2015, 01:59 PM   #1

Windshield Overnight Condensation

In the morning I raise the front windshield blind and windshield inside has heavy coating of condensation. Is so much I must use a bath towel to remove. None of the dual panes have this issue.

Is this normal or should I have it looked at? Never had this problem with other 3 MH's.
osok is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-21-2015, 02:10 PM   #2

It is so normal... If you ever get in a northern moment and stay an evening when it is freezing out that turns to ice on the inside of your windshield and can take a very long time to thaw.
All that comes from you...showering....body sweat.....breathing.... cooking....
Gocoffeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 03:07 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gocoffeer View Post
It is so normal... If you ever get in a northern moment and stay an evening when it is freezing out that turns to ice on the inside of your windshield and can take a very long time to thaw.
All that comes from you...showering....body sweat.....breathing.... cooking....
Just never had it be as heavy with other MH's so thought perhaps something else may be going on. Since posted the question I thought more about why the difference, and my other RV's had a fabric front curtain and maybe that allowed more of the coach heat to pass through and not allow as much condensation build up. Current curtain is more like a vinyl and maybe it blocks more heat. Oh well just something to live with.
Old 01-21-2015, 04:03 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Mine does the same. Sure like to know of a way to reduce that. I guess I could run a dehumidifier at night if on shore power.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 04:51 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The roof vent is used to exchange you air in the MH. Whenever we are cooking or showering we always turn on the ceiling fan to remove excessive humid air. even still we end up with excessive condensation accumulating on the widow. I have a very soft rubber squeegee to run off the water. I just lay down a towel to catch the water which I squeegee off. I also then run the defroster and sometime run the dash air conditioner along with the overhead front window fans.
Old 01-21-2015, 04:51 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Having the blind down acts like an insulated blanked and stops any air movement that would keep windshield clear like other windows. Also I'd open a ceiling vent cover at least 1/2" and leave it open 24/7 to help vent moisture.
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 05:00 PM   #7

Windshield is single pane. The air in the mh is fairly humid. So it condenses on your cold windshield more quickly or easily than a dual pane window. I open up the ceiling vent, more like crack it, and run the fan on low. It does suck some heat out, just a little, but it helps to keep some of the humidity down. And, make sure you put your towels right up against the windshield so the moisture does not go down behind the dash.

2013 FleetWood Expedition 38B
dvmweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 05:14 PM   #8

How cold is it where you are. So far we have only camped when it has gotten into the low 30's at night and maybe the mid 60's during the day. Most of the time it has been mid 40's at night and as warm as the 80's during the day. So far we haven't seen any condensation on the front windshield. I do leave the roof vents at least cracked(no matter what the weather), and we do run the fantastic fan whenever we shower.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 05:19 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Lots of good advice so far. I have heard that aiming a fan at the windshield can help. Of course the curtains would need to be open a bit. There are small dehumidifiers like Eva Dry that use very little electric and are rumored to be very quiet.

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 05:29 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike and Cha View Post
How cold is it where you are. So far we have only camped when it has gotten into the low 30's at night and maybe the mid 60's during the day. Most of the time it has been mid 40's at night and as warm as the 80's during the day. So far we haven't seen any condensation on the front windshield. I do leave the roof vents at least cracked(no matter what the weather), and we do run the fantastic fan whenever we shower.
My temps are were low 30's to low 60's, except for one night at 16. On that cold night I had small area of ice on the inside of windshield but the coach was very comfortable.

Sounds like I need to start cracking open a vent and see what happens.
Old 01-21-2015, 07:49 PM   #11

to save propane, I've got two electric/ceramic type space heaters to keep the coach warm ...just take one of those...park it on the driver's seat and aim it at the windshield for a half hour.
bobguigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 05:57 AM   #12

Open a window.

All that condensation is a sure sign of a "tight" motorhome. Probably more moisture collects than in the past as the coaches are built better. Open a vent to help eliminate it.
Fl_Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 07:21 AM   #13

I've put a rope light along the bottom of the windshield, then put a small 12v fan inside the curtain aiming up. The small amount if heat from the rope lighting recirculating between the curtain and windshield stops the condensation. Also the rope lights look cool at night 😆
Mike_Harriet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 07:32 AM   #14

Got an old desktop computer? Take the 3" square fan out and wire it up to plug into your cig lighter. The fan is 12V, probably around .16A, six blades, and very, very quiet. Draws very little current and yet creates a gentle breeze. If you are concerned about your pet, curtain, etc getting into the fan just glue a piece of 1/4 hardware screen on each side of the fan.
NITEHAWK is offline   Reply With Quote