Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-25-2020, 05:18 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Windshield Rock protection-- broken again

In the past 5 years I've lost 2 windshields (a/k/a rock magnets) on Class A motorhomes to rocks. Both have been low strikes - below the wipers. One was on a chip seal road (was hit 3 separate times within 1 hour time- the third one took it out) in Wyoming. This last loss was on I-10 in Houston a few weeks ago- no other vehicles nearby (must have been a meteor LOL)

Both windshields were in excess of $3500 to replace as both took out the entire windshield and could not be repaired. Now I am looking for some type of clear treatment film or device (reflectix though its not clear maybe?)to apply below the the wipers as that seems to be the area most prone to hits.

Saw this "BDF S8MC Window Film Security and Safety Clear 8 Mil" on Amazon and was wondering if it would help. Anyone have any experience with other reasonably priced techniques or applications that have been successful?

Sure would like to lower the risk of loss from rocks but know its not impossible to be hit. Replacing the windshield on this current rig is extremely difficult as well as pricey, although insurance covered it, and would hate to have to do it again.
Americanrascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-25-2020, 07:08 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Americanrascal View Post
Saw this "BDF S8MC Window Film Security and Safety Clear 8 Mil" on Amazon and was wondering if it would help. Anyone have any experience with other reasonably priced techniques or applications that have been successful?

We are planning our Alaska trip for 2021, I was wondering the same thing. I've seen some pretty extreme measures some have taken to protect the windshield and non of them interest me as it typically blocks too much of the view. The thought of a clear safety film sounds great as it should provide some protection while not obstructing the view.
Old 04-25-2020, 09:46 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I'm looking also for an Alaska trip - now postponed to '21. See attached for a couple that 'might' work ... continuing to search.
Old 04-25-2020, 10:49 AM   #4

folliwing this thread. we've had to replace windshields twice but in both cases our auto insurance covered 100% of the cost.
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 03:29 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Yes my insurance paid 100% also- but the real pain is in the downtime and repair difficulties associated with the replacement. That drives me nuts! 4 weeks to get a windshield shipped in and installed- and the rig is virtually unusable during that time if its a bad crack.

I've been to AK 2X and surprisingly we never caught a rock in the windshield north of the lower 48 either trip. We did not add protection to the motorhome windshield those trips but did to the toad.We did however catch one on the way to AK while on a chip seal road passing through WY. While on the AK Highway we learned to slow down, sometimes stop and angle to the right to avoid the dreaded on coming trucks that would kick things up- and to keep good separation between vehicles in front. Apparently it worked for those trips on the Alaska Highway. Now if I can just figure out solutions to Texas on I-10 and Wyoming! LOL!
Old 04-25-2020, 03:42 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lv2Roam2 View Post
I'm looking also for an Alaska trip - now postponed to '21. See attached for a couple that 'might' work ... continuing to search.

I hate to admit I did Road Wrap on our 2014 Itasca one time in an effort to protect my rig from the dreaded Love Bugs on the way into Florida. IT WAS AWFUL!! I was so embarrassed by the way it looked-- a total disaster.

At some point at 65 mph southbound on I-75 in north Florida it decided to come loose and some poor soul wound up with a huge ball of what looked like scotch tape on his car. If the person it happened to is reading this- I apologize. You will never pass me again and have a role of sticky clear stuff adhere to your car as you pass me as I promise I will NEVER USE IT AGAIN.(See pic of motorhome with Road Wrap)

Gotta be a better mouse trap out there somewhere.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	11059325_10206692269209115_5559501491987446519_o.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	85.7 KB
ID:	283066  
Old 04-25-2020, 04:05 PM   #7
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Road Wrap isn't intended to be used for weeks at a time as a front bra. I use it routinely on the front of my toad when I'm towing it. Make sure the surface is relatively clean (no dust) and then make sure it's pressed on well on the edges. I stretch it across the painted bumper and grill, making sure it covers the fender paint. I leave it on, especially on a trip where I may not drive the toad for a couple of days. If I do drive the toad, I cut a slit in the grill area and peel it back so the toad won't overheat. Once I get to a destination where I'll be driving the toad frequently, I peel it off and through it away.

It's been hard to find in the past couple of years and Amazon quit selling it, but I found it on the California Car Cover website.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 12:28 AM   #8

Forest River Owners Club
I'm confused - I thought the issue was loss of windshield.... How does Diamond Shield or some other film on the front of the coach protect the windshield????

Enlighten me please.....
ernest917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 08:03 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ernest917 View Post
I'm confused - I thought the issue was loss of windshield.... How does Diamond Shield or some other film on the front of the coach protect the windshield????

Enlighten me please.....
I think it started with the idea of putting the film like 3M or some other on the lower section of the windshield to help protect from stone chips.

often these threads get a little off track
chuckftboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 08:32 PM   #10

Quote:
I hate to admit I did Road Wrap on our 2014 Itasca one time in an effort to protect my rig from the dreaded Love Bugs on the way into Florida. IT WAS AWFUL!! I was so embarrassed by the way it looked-- a total disaster.Gotta be a better mouse trap out there somewhere.
Better mouse trap...you bet. Just apply Rejex to the front of your coach and YOUR WINDSHIELD.

YT is your friend. SEARCH washing and waxing your coach.

As far as protecting your toads windshield, this is what we do.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1-windshield-cover.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	179.0 KB
ID:	283457  
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 08:52 PM   #11

which Rejex product? how much to use to make removing love bugs more easy?
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 03:29 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Not sure I understand how a liquid polish or wax would protect against a rock or other projectile hitting a windshield?

I'm thinking some sort of cushioning material or adhering film with enough density and with a smooth application to absorb and disperse some of the energy of such a projectile to prevent a chip and hopefully a windshield crack. My thought is something below the smaller wiper blade area on the glass. Both windshields that I lost were a result of strikes below the wiper blades so I'm probably going to try to find something to apply to that area only.

Not sure why I never caught a projectile higher than the wipers.
Old 04-29-2020, 06:42 AM   #13

Quote:
Not sure I understand how a liquid polish or wax would protect against a rock or other projectile hitting a windshield?
If you read the above in Post# 6, the OP brought up the BUG problem. I addressed just that part of his issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk911 View Post
which Rejex product? how much to use to make removing love bugs more easy?
Just apply a thin film, not heavy like you would apply a wax. Apply it in the shade (not in the sun) and let stand for about 15 minutes then wipe it off with a microfiber towel. This stuff is amazing. There’s only one type of Rejex but it comes in two different colored bottles. One size is larger the other but it's the same stuff.

I used to use RainX on my windshield for bugs but it caused horrible swirl marks that drove me nuts. Now I use RejeX over the entire coach including the windshield. No more wax. 2 coats of RejeX protects the entire coach from 100% of UV rays and makes it shine like you've never seen. Also repels rain. The price is about the same as wax but easier to apply and remove. This stuff is made for aircraft but is outstanding for RV's.
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 02:27 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by marjoa View Post
If you read the above in Post# 6, the OP brought up the BUG problem. I addressed just that part of his issue.

Got it --sorry I missed!

Just apply a thin film, not heavy like you would apply a wax. ...
Thanks Marjoa! Saw the video and it was great!!! Bottle of Rejex arrived yesterday! Think I'm going to hand apply and hand remove/wipe . May get the buffer out and give that a shot at some point. Will try some on passenger side first on the windshield to see how it works there. Need to do a Florida bug run soon to test the Rejex application and get out of this place!

For windshield breakage protection, think I'm going to temporarily try a layer of Reflectix below the wiper blades to the bottom of the windshield. Both Winnebago breaks have occured on mine in that zone. Not sure yet how I will afix it. Probably will look awful but might save me a new windshield

As I have not lost a windshield problem on eastern roads (east of the Mississippi) so I'm going to only use it on western travel. Seems to be more loose gravel on western roads (my insurance claims back me up on that LOL)

Thanks for the follow up

Joe

(Great tip on the grease boots MarJoa- much appreciated!)

Tags
wind, windshield