Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-28-2010, 11:28 AM   #1

Winter is coming

Yes it is. So it got me to working on how to use my motorhome in cold climates. I'm reasonably sure most motorhomers know about the problems, condensation, making enough heat etc.

Here is an idea for a product that is ovedue.

When I built my earth sheltered home in 1980 I realized it was so airtight that the trapped impurities in the air must be dealt with in an energy conserving manner. What I used was an air to air heat exchanger. No compressor, no heat pipes, no freon etc. It uses pleated paper to separate the outgoing air from the incoming. At the same time the exchange takes place the heat from the hottest side transfers to the cold side. That's because heat always moves to cold. That's the simplest way to put it. If you give that statement some thought you will realize how obviously true it is. All that is running is a fan.

Anyway, why isn't my motorhome equipped with an air to air heat exchanger? It's not even an option. I don't think they even thought of it.

Here's a link to one current model made for home use. I'm sure it could be adapted to MH use. They do offer 24 and 48 volt models. Take note of how little electricity is used. I just grabbed this one as an example.

HE150 Air-to-Air Heat Exchanger - Smarthome

You get the advantage of conserving that precious heat. You get rid of that moisture buildup and maybe all of the condensation on the windshield. You might not have to run a dehumidifier.

I think the MH companies should offer this option.

I would like to buy one adapted for use in my useless roof vent.

Have to great day.

Last minute update. This will show what the Mitsubishi system looks like and sort of how it works. It's good OLD technology.

http://www.mitsubishielectric.com.au/2096.htm
WOODYDEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-29-2010, 07:51 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
This looks interesting. It uses low power and could be put in the storage compartment. The winter alway produces humid air and moisture in the living area and this looks like a solution and takes up less space than a dehumidifier.
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 08:03 PM   #3

Am I missing something? Can't you just crack a window and turn on the roof vent to do the same thing?
Old 10-01-2010, 10:52 PM   #4

Take a look at this explanation

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeT View Post
Am I missing something? Can't you just crack a window and turn on the roof vent to do the same thing?

It is not the same thing.

Motorhomes cost a lot to heat and cool. What's wrong with your method is the already heated air is going out the vent and the air coming in the window now has to be heated. If you were trying to get all of the "bad" air out including the humidity, you would have to wait quite a while for that vent to exhaust the entire volume of air inside the motorhome. You would then have to reheat the entire volume of air you just brought in. The air to air heat exchanger gets rid of all the "bad" air continuously including the moisture. The heat in the outgoing air is transferred "like magic" to the incoming air. The air going out and the air going in never physically touch. It is the HEAT which is transferred. I'll include a link to an explanation which is in PDF format:

www.ag.ndsu.edu/pubs/ageng/structu/ae1393.pdf
WOODYDEL is offline   Reply With Quote