Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-11-2017, 10:15 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Winter storage and batteries.

I am wanting some advice on whether to remove batteries and store indoors or park the coach, use the battery disconnect and wire them so I can put a maintenance charger on them for the winter in Minnesota. They are quite heavy and I have 2 chassis batteries and 4 6volt coach batteries. I do know how to wire them for charging but am not sure if this is appropriate to do in the cold weather. I guess I know the indoor storage is ideal but can I get away with the other method. Thanks in advance for any advice.
BrewdogMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-12-2017, 05:04 AM   #2

You should be fine keeping the batteries installed with a maintenance charger attached. The charger will keep them from discharging over the winter. Before storing just check the water levels in each cell and top up as necessary and you should be fine. Its not the cold that will hurt them during winter storage, its allowing them to become discharged either through a parasitic draw or self discharge.
60sumtin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 05:20 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Its important to start with the batteries fully-charged and watered up (if not AGMs). I remove the negative cable from my batteries to ensure there's no parasitic loads. And it certainly won't hurt to charge them back up about once a month with a good multi-stage charger.
Old 10-12-2017, 09:56 AM   #4

Assuming fully charged when put into storage, just leave them connected and with a battery maintainer. They will be fine.
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 07:24 AM   #5

To use a maintainer, do I need to disconnect the batteries. What about a disconnect switch and then fasten the maintainer to the batteries? Also related to the batteries, what do you do between trips? Mine will go dead in a few days unless I plug into the house.
alberrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 08:35 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
To answer 2nd question first you have something drawing on your batteries or your batteries are going bad. You should take batteries out and have them tested. If they are fine then you have to find what is drawing them down. I assume you shut everything off when you put it away. I had the same trouble and I just go into my engine compartment and hit my battery disconnect switch and I am fine. Your switch may be somewhere else. Make sure your everything else is off also. This is just for your chassis batteries. I am not home right now but will take picture of proper wiring for hooking up your maintainers and post this tomorrow.
BrewdogMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 09:10 AM   #7

Freezing is your batteries enemy and will ruin them. A charged battery will not freeze under normal conditions. This is why you must keep them charged. I would suggest disconnecting them, and use a maintainer if they discharge quickly .or leave the coach plugged in if you dont want to disconnect them.
Old 10-15-2017, 09:21 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewdogMN View Post
I am wanting some advice on whether to remove batteries and store indoors or park the coach, use the battery disconnect and wire them so I can put a maintenance charger on them for the winter in Minnesota. They are quite heavy and I have 2 chassis batteries and 4 6volt coach batteries. I do know how to wire them for charging but am not sure if this is appropriate to do in the cold weather. I guess I know the indoor storage is ideal but can I get away with the other method. Thanks in advance for any advice.
Your Newmar is, or should be unless someone changed it, equipped with a charging system that will maintain your Chassis and house batteries as well or better than any off the shelf maintainer.
It sounds like you have access to a 15A service plug so, the coach in, leave the chassis and house disconnect switches ON, turn the gas detector off and your in business.
Check the water level of the house batteries every 6-8 weeks to make sure they don't go dry. Check the battery voltage while plugged in. It should not exceed 13.8VDC.
My coach has been plugged in 24/7, unless we are traveling, for years. The batteries are approaching eight years old.

Tags
batteries, storage, winter