Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-13-2009, 03:16 PM   #1

Triple E Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Winter storage, Jacks up or down?

We've just replaced our old 89 Sunflyer with a newer coach, a Triple E Commander. We didn't have leveling jacks on the old Sunflyer so that feature is new to us. We have HWH hydraulic jacks, and use them when the slides are out. We will be storing the coach with the slides in over the winter, should the jacks be retracted or extended?
bluegrasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-13-2009, 04:48 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I store my coach with the levelers up! Don't see any need for them otherwise.

Regards,
RovinOn
Southwind37C
RovinOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 05:13 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegrasser View Post
We've just replaced our old 89 Sunflyer with a newer coach, a Triple E Commander. We didn't have leveling jacks on the old Sunflyer so that feature is new to us. We have HWH hydraulic jacks, and use them when the slides are out. We will be storing the coach with the slides in over the winter, should the jacks be retracted or extended?
As the other poster said, "No reason to store with them down". I was always concerned to with what the elements would eventually do to the steel cylinders. Finally unless you have them on a very hard no give surface, they are going to sink in. Some believe it preserves their spring curve or other suspension parts. If those parts can't take a winter storage, they are not going to hold up pounding down the road.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 05:30 PM   #4
Community Moderator

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
bluegrasser;

I have always stored mine with the jacks down. It is however stored inside on a concrete floor out of the elements. I always felt taking some weight off the tires is a good thing. Maybe I an not doing it right but I have never had a problem. When we are ready to go south in late winter the jacks are already down and DW runs the slides out for stocking.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Adopted by a great couple, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 06:43 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I vote for jacks down for storage. Have always felt it advantageous to take some weight off tires when stored. I store O/S on my property during Michigan winters and have never seen any deterioration of the rams from the weather. I'm careful to have pads under jacks so they do not freeze to the ground.
DandS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 11:15 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
i store my moho inside an rv barn with the jacks down. it takes the weight off the tires, prolonging their life. i have a concrete floor. i spray the hwh jack cylinders with silicone spray and wipe them lightly.
if i stored the moho outside where there was wind, i wouldn't have more than 2 tires off the ground at any time.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L 5sp allison SW Wa,. Good Sam, SKP. RVM 198 AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. Michelins, TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '21MB GLA FWD on dolly
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 06:26 AM   #7

Triple E Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks for the input. I think I will store the coach with the jacks retracted. In 20 years of storing the old Sunflyer on a gravel parking pad outside next to the garage in our cold/snowy Canadian winters, I have not had a problem. My thoughts were if I leave them down, and its sub zero, would they come back up if I needed to move the coach. It will be slides in, jacks up. Thanks for the help.
bluegrasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 08:20 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If I had HWH jacks, I would store them up too. They are problematic at best.
DandS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 09:48 AM   #9
JCM

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Triple E Owners Club
I store my Triple E Commander with the jacks up but I have plywood under the tires. No problems in 6 years.
I would be worried about the jacks pitting with rust and damaging the seals on retraction.
I know the argument that full timers may park for months with their jacks down but I still think that they should be cycled every 3-4 weeks just to keep them clean.
You will love your commander.
Old 10-15-2009, 10:02 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner recommends you contact the body manufacture. The jacks can be different types and have different requirements for long term extension.
Always-RVing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 10:54 AM   #11

I don't put my jacks down on the way to Florida in Jan, until I get into warm climate. I don't want to chance one will not retract when I get ready to hit the road in the early morning. I know they will always go down, but nothing but a spring brings them back up and in really cold weather, it could be a gamble I don't need.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 11:45 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Fleetwood said keep the jacks retracted for long term storage since the lack leg needs to stay lubricated. Also, spray some silicone on the shiny part and wipe off excess. If the legs have been extended for a long period of time (long depends upon the environment), wipe them off with a clean cloth before retracting. If the legs get pitted from unuse or climate extremes, they may damage the seals inside and the lack leg itself could require replacing.
Old 10-15-2009, 12:25 PM   #13
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
I don't think leaving the jacks down is an issue as many of us snowbirds are on jacks for 5~6 months.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 01:29 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Fleetwood said keep the jacks retracted for long term storage since the lack leg piston (I think it's the piston) needs to stay lubricated. Also, spray some silicone on the shiny part (piston) and wipe off excess. If the legs have been extended for a long period of time (long depends upon the environment), wipe them off with a clean cloth before retracting. If the legs get pitted from unuse or climate extremes, they may damage the seals inside and the lack leg itself could require replacing.