Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-31-2021, 07:39 AM   #1

Winterize or not from Québec ?

Hi!
My husband and I are newbies (1 Month!!). We have a 2006 National Rv Tradewind. We are planning to go in Florida (keys) in December 2021! We are from Québec, Canada, so very coldd in December/January! The question is: Is it necesary to winterized the RV if he stays inside from October in Québec and we will take him out only for the trip? Is it dangerous for the RV? Or it's better to winterized in Québec and dewinterized in hotter state like North Carolina? And for the return do we have to re-winterized before Québec?
Thanks so much for your answers and your recommandations
Lili23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-31-2021, 07:48 AM   #2

Depends on whether you can make it to warmer weather at a time that Canada and the upper US is above about 25 degrees. You will be very limited to the quirks of the weather when you can leave and return. If you want a dependable schedule you will have to winterize.
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 08:10 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
You say the coach is stored indoors. If so, do you have an electrical hookup? If you do, Just keep the heat on in the coach. Then when you depart start the generator to keep the coach warm while traveling. If you have Aqua Hot run it on electric until you depart, then switch to diesel burner.

If your indoor storage is heated, you don’t need to do anything until you depart. Then start heating using your heater or Aqua Hot, on generator.

You should check to see if your tanks are heated. Most are.

If no electricity in storage, you will need to winterize in October. If it is bitterly cold when you depart, you may want to winterize to be safe. Your heater might not be able to prevent some water lines from freeze up.
pduggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 02:12 PM   #4

My outlook may help. I live in central Indiana, when we leave for FL Dec. 1 the MH has been winterized since Nov. 1 because of the unknown.
I de-winterize that night in TN or N. Alabama because we are now living in the MH full-time thus heated.
In the meantime we flush the toilet with the cheapest RV antifreeze we could buy, we drink bottled water.
It would be a real hassle to have some plumbing burst from freezing while traveling.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 03:45 PM   #5

In your post, does the term "stays inside" mean a heated building, or just inside out of the rain, sun and snow, but just as cold as the outside ambient temperature? In my thinking, the location of Quebec and winterizing, would go hand in hand.
Old 07-31-2021, 06:00 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
My outlook may help. I live in central Indiana, when we leave for FL Dec. 1 the MH has been winterized since Nov. 1 because of the unknown.
I de-winterize that night in TN or N. Alabama because we are now living in the MH full-time thus heated.
In the meantime we flush the toilet with the cheapest RV antifreeze we could buy, we drink bottled water.
It would be a real hassle to have some plumbing burst from freezing while traveling.
x2, exactly what we do, except that it might take us 2 nights to get to above freezing temps.

Ken
Kenny Loney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 07:09 PM   #7

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Same as I do - I wait till beyond Atlanta - maybe near Valdosta Ga depending on the weather !
NHRA225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 07:35 PM   #8

If it was me i'd winterize the coach before putting it into storage in October. This way you know you are protected if there was a long term power outage or had to move the coach outside for any reason.
Coming down through the northern states mid winter can be iffy at the least. Snow, Ice, blocked roads etc., roads closed for accidents. I hate to paint a dark picture but it is winter here even if you are headed for the sunbelt.
A few dollars in materials and some time in labor could save you hundreds or more dollars should something not go as planned.
Prepare for the worst and hope for the best.
Old 07-31-2021, 09:10 PM   #9

A friend here in Minnesota dewinterized his rig last year as he prepped to go to Arizona in December. Once he flushed out the antifreeze and filled the system with water, he knew he had to keep it heated, and so that was his plan. They were going to drive straight through, so no problem.

And then he got to Iowa and had engine trouble, and his rig ended up parked - turned off with no generator running - overnight awaiting a tow. Froze and burst his plumbing. Major inconvenience, moderate expense to fix.

I'd keep it winterized until I hit sunburn.

1993 Rockwood 28' Class C - Ford E-350 7.5L
Bobby F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 06:39 PM   #10

Well it seems that winterizing is the way to till NT Caroline or above! It will be parked indoor and heated. But the idea of having any issues on the road would be a tragedy!! Its our first experience, lets not make it the last!! Our dog getting used to Jessie!!!Click image for larger version

Name:	20210718_120610.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	82.3 KB
ID:	338067
Lili23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 10:11 PM   #11

Tradewinds are nice coaches. I'm a bit envious!

Tags
winter, winterize