Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-04-2020, 11:51 AM   #1

Winterizing my new RV

I am about to fly down and pick up a new RV to me. I have had a travel trailer before but never a self contained RV. The RV is in the South and I am in The Northern Rockies where it fluctuates between 0-25 degrees each day. So obviously I need to winterize.

I have watched a video so know I need to shut off the water heater and add air to the water system and drain all sinks and tanks. Then pour RV antifreeze in anything with a P-trap, sinks and potty. Shower also?

Is there anything else I need to do, besides draining the tanks?

I will be on the road with a new RV and won't have the resources of my home and tools but feel I need to do this before the RV arrives in the frigid north.

Also it is very likely I will want to be using the RV this winter to go to visit warmer climates since I have chosen not to ski until a vaccine is in me. Is there any shortcut to this or do I need to winterize and unwinterize each time I go south and return to a cold climate?
Photobug is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-04-2020, 01:37 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Do you have a washer/dryer? Or an ice maker? Know where your low point drains are and how many you have?

I do the blow, pink, blow, routine. I blow out the water system with 40psi of air, pump antifreeze around, and blow the antifreeze out.

"..I need to shut off the water heater and add air to the water system and drain all sinks and tanks. Then pour RV antifreeze in anything with a P-trap, sinks and potty. Shower also?"

You need to drain your water heater, and you need to bypass it if you're gonna pump antifreeze around, and I like to unplug the 120vac side just because I'm there and I can. Yes, the shower has a P-trap. Put at least a pint down each one.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 01:37 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Don't forget the outside shower
Old 12-04-2020, 03:28 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyMac View Post
Do you have a washer/dryer? Or an ice maker? Know where your low point drains are and how many you have?

I do the blow, pink, blow, routine. I blow out the water system with 40psi of air, pump antifreeze around, and blow the antifreeze out.
No Icemaker but there is an outside shower. There-in lies the problem. I don't know that I can find 40psi air on the road.
Old 12-05-2020, 06:07 AM   #5

Unless you are toting a compressor you don’t have much choice other than bypassing the water heater and running pink antifreeze through your water lines. Blowing air is only one solution, antifreeze can be another. You should confirm you have a winterizing kit installed with a valve and antifreeze pickup line near your water pump.
Old 12-05-2020, 11:00 AM   #6

Bypass w/Heater on

Say, has anyone bypassed Hot Water Heater but left it on, pinked the rest of the system?? I would be doing this because itís mild enough now in NE PA, but some below 32 nights, worried about thin piping. I plan to head South in 2 weeks. Just to be lazy not to drain the tank. Iím also carrying 3/4 full fresh water tank, not worried about freezing now.
Kennest6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 12:13 AM   #7

First things - use Search. This is discussed multiple times a month across many years. It's the easy way to fill in all the blanks that a new purchase will open.

Maybe this will work
https://www.irv2.com/forums/search.p...rchid=29085421

Enjoy the new Rig!
Old 12-07-2020, 07:47 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav L View Post
First things - use Search. This is discussed multiple times a month across many years. It's the easy way to fill in all the blanks that a new purchase will open.

Maybe this will work
https://www.irv2.com/forums/search.p...rchid=29085421

Enjoy the new Rig!
Normally I would but I am battling time on two fronts. I am battling time on two fronts. Trying to get an outdoor construction project finished before I leave and also trying to get all the ducks lined up to make this purchase happen smoothly in a short period of time with the resources I can carry on a plane with me.

I have come up with a solution. My toylike compressor died while trying to top off my truck this summer so I will buy a medium priced compressor from Harbor Freight when I arrive at the location, use it to winterize. Then donate it to the truck and buy an RV sized compressor for my new rig.
Old 12-07-2020, 07:49 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kennest6 View Post
Say, has anyone bypassed Hot Water Heater but left it on, pinked the rest of the system?? I would be doing this because itís mild enough now in NE PA, but some below 32 nights, worried about thin piping. I plan to head South in 2 weeks. Just to be lazy not to drain the tank. Iím also carrying 3/4 full fresh water tank, not worried about freezing now.
Yes, Chuck Norris can bypass his hwh and leave it on and pink the rest of the system. However, no one else can. Unless you like to shower in pink; I hear it gives the skin a wonderful glow.
Old 12-07-2020, 07:51 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Finding 40psi air on the road is soooo easy. First, you buy a compressor, the one you were going to buy anyway to do your tire pressure adjustments and to blow out your system. Then, ...

Tags
winter