Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-28-2022, 08:30 PM   #15

Above post is in depth. I'll add Menards has the non- alcoholic -75 for only $5 a. gallon as well as other for $3.70. Agree that the. -75 is easier to flush smell and taste away. Cheaper alcohol added version can be harder on rubber seals in washing machine ice maker valves.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-28-2022, 08:53 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unplanned Tourist View Post
Buy a socket. Then leave it in your WH compartment. That way you will always have it when needed.
And a spare plastic plug.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 09:10 PM   #17

Winterizing RV Water Lines With an Air Compressor

A Viair is used to winterize with air. Antifreeze only in P-traps and toilets. We use this technique to winterize our Tiffin and it gets down to about -20*F here at times. No problems. We drink from our water system and don't want antifreeze in the lines that could cause the water to taste bad.
Donskiman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2022, 02:52 PM   #18

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If the steel plug/anode, then size= 1-1/16" (27mm); if the plastic/ nylon plug, I have no idea of size :-) MAKE SURE FAUCETS OPENED AND PRESSURE RELIEVED BEFORE TRYING TO REMOVE DRAIN PLUGS
Old 11-29-2022, 04:54 PM   #19

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by THenne1713 View Post
If the steel plug/anode, then size= 1-1/16" (27mm); if the plastic/ nylon plug, I have no idea of size :-) MAKE SURE FAUCETS OPENED AND PRESSURE RELIEVED BEFORE TRYING TO REMOVE DRAIN PLUGS

Plastic drain plug: 7/8" socket. Use long extension to stay mostly out of the flow. Also turn off heater and drain hot water down from a facet to get the temperature down before getting soaked with 120F + water.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2022, 07:39 AM   #20

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I use my water pressure regulator and put 40-50 psi on waterline, then blow out.
Old 11-30-2022, 07:43 AM   #21

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I use my water pressure regulator and put 40-50 psi on waterline, then blow out. SIL BLEW out trailer without antifreeze first year, then had to replace broken frozen elbows+ in Spring.
Old 11-30-2022, 07:47 AM   #22

On top of the socket to remove the water heat drain, keep some Teflon Tape in the RV to use when replacing the plug. My dealer actually instructed me during the initial walk through to always carry a 1 1/16 socket with me.

I drained my waterlines at low point and my fresh water tank, as well as the hot water heater when I left the campsite earlier this month. When I got to the storage lot, I re-opened the low point drains, and the shake, rattle and roll of the highway had allowed water to accumulate and so I drained a little more at that point.

The dealer that sold me the TT suggested leaving the hot water heater drain plug out of the hot water heater so you KNOW it is drained. I think that is a bad practice, and bugs and dust can find there way in. I typically loosely put it back in.
Old 11-30-2022, 11:17 PM   #23

An update on my winterizing

I had driven the RV back from Alabama 2 years ago and before I could drain tanks and winterize i spent a night at -17 in Nebraska. I emptied the tanks with buckets and winterized as best as I can. I lost the plastic clear filter on the pump and outdoor shower to cracking from freezing.

Two winters ago I used air to clean out all parts and they were fine in the spring.

Before leaving SoCal I opened all drain spots and the heater tank did not drain. When I found the valve release it then drained. On my stop in St George Utah plugged in my Viair and pumped out the extra water from all tanks and hoses. I then spent a night in Provo then found a harbor freight and bought a 27mm socket and opened the plug on the water tank and drained maybe another liter of water. I should be good till April when camping starts again.
Photobug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 03:32 PM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Photobug View Post
I winterized my rv a while back then headed south for some warm weather. Now my tanks are full and we are driving back north as we speak. At our next stop I will try to winterize as best as I can with what I have in the rv which includes a Viair compressor and a valve to go onto the water tank. Can I use this to empty the water heater or do I need to buy a socket to remove the plug?
With all power shut off and if you have a Water Heater by-pass valve, put it to bypass and remove the 3/4"
plug and drain your hot water heater. With the plug out at the bottom, open the pressure relieve vale at the top so it will drain completely. Leave the plug out.
Tilted Kilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 04:41 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stimerveer View Post
After 4 winters winterizing, This winter I finally discovered the easiest way for me to winterize our TT.

I first make sure the water pump is turned off.

Open all of the faucets, and shower head

Then opened the low point drains, (Mine has a hot and cold low point drain)
A little over 5 minutes later I found that all my pipes and HW tank were empty. It seems this siphons just about all of the water from the water lines.

I verified this by removing the HW tank drain plug, and using compressed air to blow down the lines. There wasn't enough water left in the lines to cause freeze damage.

While blowing the lines down with compressed air, I only noticed a few drops and bit of a spray from any of my faucets.

I then proceded to bypass the water heater turning the apropriate valves, and finally pump in the antifreeze.

Can't figure why I hadn't thought of this sooner...

The point is if your concerned about pipes freezing, see if there is a quick simple way to empty your water lines.

It may be as simple as opening your low point drain valves.
That's exactly how I do it every time. Never had a problem...
Medicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 04:45 PM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilted Kilt View Post
Leave the plug out.
It's maybe just me, but I would put the plug back in. Don't want any little critters getting in there while in storage, or on route home.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 04:52 PM   #27

I replaced the hot water plug with a stubby 90 degree ball valve, no wear and tear on tank threads, a quick twist and you are drained. Every thing else mentioned usually applies. I use air but also pump antifreeze through all taps and then blow with air, greatly reduces chance of low spot freezing and takes less to flush in the spring.
sandwip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 10:29 PM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
We pull the plug and drain the hot water tank first, then use compressed air while opening faucets in the rv to push the water out.
got monaco is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air, winterizing, winter