RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-14-2017, 06:56 AM   #15

Ford Super Duty Owner
Yes, I've purchased my last two MHs in the dead of winter. IMHO, This is the best time to buy, Worst time to buy is spring time .

Issues with pre-purchase in the winter.

It will be difficult to verify the condition of the water system and the air conditioners.

Water System - If its been winterized, you should be OK. The best way to get a good idea of winterization is to have the owner walk you through how to winterize the system. If they know how to do it correctly, it probably got done.

AC Units... You need a digital thermometer. Crank the heaters up as 85-90, let the inside get as warm as you can., then turn on the AC. Measure the temperature of the intake air and the exhaust air, Get the thermometer as close as you can to the AC unit. You should see a 15 or better temperature difference..

Everything else can be looked at and inspected to a reasonable degree of comfort level..

It won't do MACH 2, but I can get a sandwich and take a pee.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-14-2017, 07:03 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrupinsk View Post
Watch for road salt damage. I purchased a new motorhome in July 2015 from a dealer in Connecticut who received it in January. Looking back at the dealers pictures, you could see salt all over the unit. By October, salt wear and tear was showing through on the chassis and wheels.
Thanks,

That's definitely one to watch.

12 year old coach gas only minimal rust, it must have never been driven in winter.
Old 12-14-2017, 07:04 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiter21 View Post
Yes, I've purchased my last two MHs in the dead of winter. IMHO, This is the best time to buy, Worst time to buy is spring time .

Issues with pre-purchase in the winter.

It will be difficult to verify the condition of the water system and the air conditioners.

Water System - If its been winterized, you should be OK. The best way to get a good idea of winterization is to have the owner walk you through how to winterize the system. If they know how to do it correctly, it probably got done.

AC Units... You need a digital thermometer. Crank the heaters up as 85-90, let the inside get as warm as you can., then turn on the AC. Measure the temperature of the intake air and the exhaust air, Get the thermometer as close as you can to the AC unit. You should see a 15 or better temperature difference..

Everything else can be looked at and inspected to a reasonable degree of comfort level..
Great advice,

Do you think you saved much money buying in winter?
Old 12-14-2017, 07:12 AM   #18

I forgot to add I would be either looking to sell or trade my existing coach.
Old 12-14-2017, 07:19 AM   #19

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Do you think you saved much money buying in winter?
Absolutely... Negotiate, negotiate, negotiate.. In the sporing and summer, everyone wants to go camping, so the prices go up.. But in the winter,,, it just sits there, Dealers want to get it off their lot, and private seller can use the cash for whatever.

It won't do MACH 2, but I can get a sandwich and take a pee.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 08:55 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stMH View Post
I forgot to add I would be either looking to sell or trade my existing coach.
Buy a new coach now, and if you can swing it, wait until Spring to sell your current coach. That way you take advantage of Buyer's market (buying your new coach in winter) and Seller's Market (Selling your existing coach in the Spring!) However, that only works if you have the capital to keep both coaches over the Winter (insurance, tabs, storage, etc)
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 08:57 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hit_the_Rhod View Post
Buy a new coach now, and if you can swing it, wait until Spring to sell your current coach. That way you take advantage of Buyer's market (buying your new coach in winter) and Seller's Market (Selling your existing coach in the Spring!) However, that only works if you have the capital to keep both coaches over the Winter (insurance, tabs, storage, etc)
That is good idea but would need to sell or trade mine at the same time.
Old 12-15-2017, 09:15 AM   #22

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stMH View Post
That is good idea but would need to sell or trade mine at the same time.
You can do that too, just understand that you will take a hit because you are selling in the Winter, just like the guy you are buying from will take a hit for the same reason. If buying from a dealer, tell them that you are going to wait until Spring and sell your coach yourself. Then when you drive the hardest bargain you can for the coach you want, tell them you've changed your mind and now want to trade in your existing coach. That is the only way you will ever know exactly how much they are really giving you for you existing coach.

Oh, and make sure that they understand that you will give up your current coach ONLY when you satisfactorily complete the PDI and take delivery of your new (or new to you) coach. That way you avoid being without a coach if/when problems arise with your new purchase!
Old 12-15-2017, 12:58 PM   #23

Quote:
You can do that too, just understand that you will take a hit because you are selling in the Winter, just like the guy you are buying from will take a hit for the same reason. If buying from a dealer, tell them that you are going to wait until Spring and sell your coach yourself. Then when you drive the hardest bargain you can for the coach you want, tell them you've changed your mind and now want to trade in your existing coach. That is the only way you will ever know exactly how much they are really giving you for you existing coach.

Oh, and make sure that they understand that you will give up your current coach ONLY when you satisfactorily complete the PDI and take delivery of your new (or new to you) coach. That way you avoid being without a coach if/when problems arise with your new purchase!
Great advice. I will keep it in mind.
Old 12-15-2017, 05:13 PM   #24

Absolutely better prices this time of year, been looking since March.

I look at it this way, the dealerships want to keep all their employees working and not just standing around. Payroll still comes every Friday, they may be making lower margins, but at least everybody is working.
Old 12-15-2017, 08:09 PM   #25

Another consideration is taxes. Dealers don't want excess inventory at the end of the year due to taxes. Often you can negotiate good deals.

Another aspect of taxes is deducting the sales taxes on a purchase and how that impacts this, or next year's taxes.
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 07:35 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by drwwicks View Post
Another consideration is taxes. Dealers don't want excess inventory at the end of the year due to taxes. Often you can negotiate good deals.

Another aspect of taxes is deducting the sales taxes on a purchase and how that impacts this, or next year's taxes.

While this is a good point, it assumes that the Dealer's fiscal year coincides with the calendar year. Many companies don't. But a good point nonetheless!

Tags
purchase, winter