Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-27-2022, 08:59 PM   #1

Wrecker Cracked both Windshields

My insurance company finally got me a wrecker service to tow my Class A to the Cummins shop. It only took 26 hours from the time I called for roadside service, glad I was not on the side of the interstate somewhere. Just in case you are wondering who my insurance is with, its Progressive and probably will not be with them next year after this go round with roadside service. They are terrible. Anyway going down to talk to the wrecker company about replacing my windshields and also called my insurance company to let them know maybe they should hold payment for wrecker service if they don't want to pay for the damage they did. Stay tune for the next chapter on my disable no start motorhome. I am curious to what Cummins tells me, probably go get a mortgage to pay for repairs. LOL
skitches is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-27-2022, 09:26 PM   #2

Yes, Its well known Progressive Sucks :( Hope your repairs go well.
Mr Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 10:56 AM   #3

Had the same issue with Progressive road side service. Without the broken glass. Keep in mind that the roadside service is not Progressive Insurance. It is a service that Progressive licenses but does not operate. We have had great service with insurance, but plan to cancel the roadside service. The insurance company is aware of the roadside service problems. We use CoachNet. We had damage due to road debris and the insurance company went above and beyond to help us. Chuck
chuckbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 06:01 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Coastal Campers
State Farm isn’t much better, use the road side assistance and it’s counted as a claim.
Old 09-29-2022, 04:16 AM   #5

They all subcontract out including good sams.
Old 09-29-2022, 07:48 AM   #6
US1

You had bad experience with A and plan to change to B. Bob had bad experience with B and plans to change to A.

Hope you get made whole. Good luck
US1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 07:50 AM   #7

I have used Coachnet since 1999.
Very happy and will renew when needed.
2cyber71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2022, 04:14 PM   #8

Progressive unfortunately hasn’t a clue on handling towing issues for a motorhome. Roadside service for your car, easy! Motorhome, different animal. I would take your roadside off your policy, save the money and buy a Coach-Net policy.
Granite17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2022, 08:11 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
My SIL use to work for one of the larger roadside assistant companies and told me that all those type of companies contract with the same tow truck companies. So it doesn't really matter which company you have, it matters which tow driver you get.

I had to have my Class C towed. The driver did a good job, no damage the rig other then the air deflector I had on the front hood, way too much turbulence and it basically just tore apart, not the drivers faule.
Had to have my Class A towed twice. The first time it had to be towed from in front of our house to the Allison shop about 35 miles away, I could not stay and "supervise" but my wife was there looking over the drivers shoulder while he hooked up and followed him to the shop. No damage. The second time I stayed with the coach until the tow driver got there and helped him hook up. Did a good job, pulled drive shaft, tied up mud flap, made sure air was hooked up and brakes released. About 100 miles, he knew every bump in the road and changed lanes to avoid some. It was still a pretty rough ride. No damage to the rig though.

So I guess we were lucky.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 04:31 AM   #10

jacwjames is correct.

They all contract with the same service providers and what they don't disclose and unfortunately at the expense of the stranded RV owner, is they "shop" the tow scenario around go get the lowest bid possible on the recovery.

On a slow day, this might take them an hour dealing with finding a quote in THEIR best interest and on a busy day, you could be waiting hours for roadside assistance.

One heavy duty wrecker driver told me don't make Sunday a travel day because most companies have minimal staffing and tire and service centers are usually closed for repairs.....especially on Super Bowl Sunday.
Toribk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 11:02 AM   #11

Have been towed twice at no charge to me . GEICO arranged for the service both times with good results and no premium increase (have been with them for many years).

In both cases there was no delay in finding the operator that GEICO selected.

With a DP it is very important for the tow operator to know whether you have a solid front axle or independent front suspension. In the second instance the operator actually called and asked about the axle configuration, weight of the rig etc.

In both cases the operators pulled the axle versus removing the driveshaft. The second operator actually had an "axle bag" to stow the axle while in transit to ensure that no damage or contamination occurred.

First instance was an air system leak/failure and the second a seized alternator. In 14 years of ownership and 70K miles of use I think this is about par for the course.

Keep us posted on your progress!

Tags
crack, wind, windshield