Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-27-2019, 09:00 PM   #1

Damon Owners Club
X2

Two years since I started thinking about purchasing a MH.

20 months ago we moved into a new construction home in a 55+ community. We love the new house and neighborhood. Ive been on the fence about relocating to another state, but I think we will stay here. The balance sheet tips in favor here on almost every category that counts for us.

Wife will work 2-3 more years, I am done soon. That maximizes our pensions.

We have two small dogs that are 15 years old, they only have 1-2 years left. They are miserable if we leave them behind, so when we travel they have to go with us.

Ive decided on a smaller class C for our first MH. That will work for us until we both fully retire, then we will reevaluate.

Georgia has about 50 state parks, we want to visit them all and stay at least one night in each. That should keep us busy for a couple years.

So, what to buy.

I dont want to buy new, I know we will upgrade when we fully retire.

The most important aspects for me are ease of maintenance, how it handles on the road, the bed, cost of ownership. We will not cook inside the coach much if at all, and we are pretty simple as far as amenities go, we dont want or need much more than the basics.

The search is on.
bmcgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-28-2019, 09:29 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Sounds like you've got a game plan. Time is your friend, use it to look at as many different coaches as you can, both gas and diesel.

Doesn't sound like you are considering going full time which important when deciding on a coach that will fit your needs.

We started with a Class C, which worked well for us and had it for +9 years and then started looking for a different rig. We then upgraded to a DP, which has also worked well. The ride and handling of our current rig is great, 8 air bags, handles well in wind and on the Hwy when truck are passing. It is comfortable and it does not fatigue you when driving. Large fuel tank means we don't have to worry about stopping every 4-500 miles for fuel. Large holding tanks and all the amenities.

So start looking and keep notes of what you like and don't like. Try to test drive as many as you can to get a feel for how they handle.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 11:04 AM   #3

With the older dogs, I agree with the class C sentiment and not a B (too small with the dogs) or an A (hard to maneuver in smaller parks and smaller roads).

We are downsizing to a C due to old dogs and my increasing faintheartedness in trying to maneuver in smaller spaces and a few excursions onto smaller roads with concerns about being able to turn around and such.

We have settled on the Winnebago View - a Sprinter-based chassis with a nice ride, easier to maneuver than our former class A gas motorhome, and gets double the fuel mileage when towing. With the slide open, it feels less crowded with the dogs (the younger 11 year old is 85 lbs) and we can comfortably stay in it for a couple of weeks without going nuts - PLUS it can tow our Jeep Wrangler within the CVWR towing capacity of the motorhome.

There are a number of manufacturers using Sprinter-based chassis. We settled on the winnebago as they've been doing the Sprinter chassis the longest and it has a floorpan we liked with an easy to operate, electric Murphy bed and a nice, long counter top in the galley.

Plus there is a Mercedes dealer nearby that sells sprinter vans that will service the View, so that helped with the decision for us.

Like many others here, I'd advise that you find a floor plan you like. There'll be variations on it with the different coach manufacturers, and there are some differences in the quality of the coaches.

Select wisely and enjoy as much as possible.
Old 09-30-2019, 09:20 AM   #4

We have settled on the Winnebago View - a Sprinter-based chassis with a nice ride, easier to maneuver than our former class A gas motorhome, and gets double the fuel mileage when towing. With the slide open, it feels less crowded with the dogs (the younger 11 year old is 85 lbs) and we can comfortably stay in it for a couple of weeks without going nuts - PLUS it can tow our Jeep Wrangler within the CVWR towing capacity of the motorhome.

There are a number of manufacturers using Sprinter-based chassis. We settled on the winnebago as they've been doing the Sprinter chassis the longest and it has a floorpan we liked with an easy to operate, electric Murphy bed and a nice, long counter top in the galley.

Plus there is a Mercedes dealer nearby that sells sprinter vans that will service the View, so that helped with the decision for us.

Like many others here, I'd advise that you find a floor plan you like. There'll be variations on it with the different coach manufacturers, and there are some differences in the quality of the coaches.

Select wisely and enjoy as much as possible.[/QUOTE]

x2 on the Winnie View. That was our first RV. You can tow a small toad if you like (say, a Minicooper), but you don't really need to if you well plan your trips to the grocery store, etc, so you don't need to break camp often. You can rent a car in many places if you need to take frequent and/or extended excursions. Best of luck on your new adventure.
Sandy Swede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 05:05 AM   #5

Look very carefully at the CCC (cargo carryiing capacity) of any class C or B that you are contemplating. Look for the yellow sticker near the driver's seat or on the entry door. Many are nearly maxed out on their weight before you even think about loading people and gear aboard.
The longer the rear overhang, the more likely you are to have too much weight on the rear axle, so look at GAWR as well. While most people will tell you to look for a floorplan you like, definitely test drive enough models to learn the difference between one that handles well and one that doesn't. Also look at older models because it is easy to see which ones hold up well and which ones develop leaks and come apart.
Teamfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 05:32 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
When you decide its time, well its time.

Ive been kicking our future around for several years now and mulling the options on how to spend our retirement.

This week I decided that I am ready to make it happen now.

22 Oct is my last day of work.

My wife teaches and will step down out of her position next June and continue working on a 9 month contract with summers off and most of December off.

The plan is to head north in the summers for cooler weather/low humidity and take a cruise every December.

I like the looks of a Lazy Daze, so thats what Im shopping for.

I need to figure out a TOAD, I would like 4wd for some light off road and would prefer a small pickup vs a Jeep.

In the meantime, I have 3 Mustangs that I need to sell. They are just taking up room.
Old 10-05-2019, 08:05 PM   #7

Go rent a Class C for a couple day vacation and take notes as to what works for you and what you don't like. It would be a good way to check off your first GA State Park.
I seen one Class C that pulled a car trailer with a Mustang onboard for a toad. You can always change/upgrade the toad later.
We also do a cruise every other year and will just go to a CG within a hours drive from the cruise port.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 08:27 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcgc View Post
When you decide its time, well its time.

Ive been kicking our future around for several years now and mulling the options on how to spend our retirement.

This week I decided that I am ready to make it happen now.

22 Oct is my last day of work.

My wife teaches and will step down out of her position next June and continue working on a 9 month contract with summers off and most of December off.

The plan is to head north in the summers for cooler weather/low humidity and take a cruise every December.

I like the looks of a Lazy Daze, so thats what Im shopping for.

I need to figure out a TOAD, I would like 4wd for some light off road and would prefer a small pickup vs a Jeep.

In the meantime, I have 3 Mustangs that I need to sell. They are just taking up room.
As far as a C goes I think you are on the right track, BUT, take a look at this as a possibility - https://www.hayesrv.com/rv/2009-WINN...URNEY-34Y-C706 - Looks good for two, has room for pets, Diesel could last forever, small enough that you will not be intimidated, but large enough that you can be Comfortable.

It looks like you have most of the big decisions made - BUT - until you do it you really have no Idea what you will need so take it slow and you will enjoy it.

Best of luck,
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 02:29 AM   #9

Damon Owners Club
My wifes parents had an A and she used to drive it on the interstate when she was 16-17. She tells me they are to big.

Size doesnt matter to me. Try driving a big ship into a small harbor with a big wind and a swift current. As the saying goes: Everyone wants to be the Captain until its time to do Captain stuff.

Thanks for the advice, I had thought about keeping the 65 or 67 Mustang as a TOAD, but they are very nice cars and should be garaged. The 67 is showroom and the 65 is better than showroom. The 17 is just to big and heavy.
Old 10-06-2019, 07:52 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcgc View Post
My wifes parents had an A and she used to drive it on the interstate when she was 16-17. She tells me they are to big.

Size doesnt matter to me. Try driving a big ship into a small harbor with a big wind and a swift current. As the saying goes: Everyone wants to be the Captain until its time to do Captain stuff.

Thanks for the advice, I had thought about keeping the 65 or 67 Mustang as a TOAD, but they are very nice cars and should be garaged. The 67 is showroom and the 65 is better than showroom. The 17 is just to big and heavy.
Pretty sure a PU felt big at 16 - Dad was navy - so I know about those big ships - but the real saying is if you can't captain a Boat don't even try a Ship. (Grew up on the water) Reality is to stay in your comfort zone - BUT - find something that works and is fun.

Having had one or two of almost everything over the past 50+ years I feel most comfortable in the 42'er - can see well - drives well - lives Great.

Think you will find a small Jeep will work for your toad - just get one that ride well on the paved road as you will only drive it a few hours off road (If you are like most of Us) I just replaced my 2001 MDX - 300,000 miles with a 2007 GX470 100,000 miles .

Keep working on it you've still got a couple weeks before you start to go stir crazy.

Congratulations on the retirement, - -

Enjoy the travels and Best of Luck,
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote