Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-24-2021, 11:01 AM   #1

Xmas electrical present

Out of nowhere - no house power. Engine, generator fine. There are two good legs of 120v when plugged into shore power tested at the junction box.

Inverter (new AIMS) dead
House batteries - will not accept an external charger, voltage tests are inconclusive
Inside 50amp smart monitor - dead even when running the generator - all house power is dead including the thermostat. I can't move the slides so I can't get into the house breakers to check for power
Main marine fuse for house 12v - has continuity

Any ideas ? I was going to pull the inverter next....but it's snowing :(
Iceclimber is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-24-2021, 11:29 AM   #2

Xmas electrical present

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceclimber View Post
Out of nowhere - no house power. Engine, generator fine. There are two good legs of 120v when plugged into shore power tested at the junction box.

Inverter (new AIMS) dead

House batteries - will not accept an external charger, voltage tests are inconclusive

Inside 50amp smart monitor - dead even when running the generator - all house power is dead including the thermostat. I can't move the slides so I can't get into the house breakers to check for power

Main marine fuse for house 12v - has continuity

Any ideas ? I was going to pull the inverter next....but it's snowing :(

Have you tried turning on and off salesman switch? You say voltage test are inconclusive, what is the voltage with multimeter?
Old 12-24-2021, 11:36 AM   #3

RESPONSES IN SOLID LETTER CAPS

[QUOTE=Iceclimber;6027317]Out of nowhere - no house power. Engine, generator fine. There are two good legs of 120v when plugged into shore power tested at the junction box. WHEN YOU SAY JUNCTION BOX, IS THIS THE CG OUTLET? HAVE YOU CHECKED FOR POWER IN AND OUT OF THE ATS (ASSUMING YOU ARE SAFE WORKING AROUND 120240 VAC).

Inverter (new AIMS) dead
House batteries - will not accept an external charger, voltage tests are inconclusive. DON'T KNOW WHAT VOLTAGE INCONCLUSIVE MEANS. AND MOST "STUPID" CHARGERS WILL CHARGE EVEN A DEEPLY DISCHARGED BATTERY BANK.

Inside 50amp smart monitor - dead even when running the generator. IF NEITHER SHORE POWER NOR GENERATOR ARE GETTING POWER TO THE MAIN 120 VAC BREAKER BOX, AGAIN, CHECK AT BOTH THE "OUT" SIDE OF THE ATS AND THE CONNECTIONS IN THE MAIN BREAKER BOX.
Old 12-24-2021, 11:36 AM   #4

Got 2 hots (120VAC 50A) at junction box.......

No 120VAC in RV via shore or generator

Auto Transfer Switch (ATS) got 2 Hots going in/no Hots coming out??

Issue is NO 120VAC not 12VDC ----correct?
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2021, 11:44 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Got 2 hots (120VAC 50A) at junction box.......

No 120VAC in RV via shore or generator

Auto Transfer Switch (ATS) got 2 Hots going in/no Hots coming out??

Issue is NO 120VAC not 12VDC ----correct?
Hi.
Nothing has changed but auto transfer failing makes sense, preventing 110v to the inverter charger and the coach. I am not familiar - but opened it and did test the good 2 legs of 120v at the black box - could use help understanding what to test next. I have not pulled apart the inverter wiring yet, but I don't think power is getting there.
Old 12-24-2021, 11:49 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceclimber View Post
Hi.
Nothing has changed but auto transfer failing makes sense, preventing 110v to the inverter charger and the coach. I am not familiar - but opened it and did test the good 2 legs of 120v at the black box- could use help understanding what to test next. I have not pulled apart the inverter wiring yet, but I don't think power is getting there.

Again if you are safe working around 120/240: Testing the ATS (Automatic Transfer Switch).

On both IN from shore power when plugged in and in from generator when generator is running and OUT side which goes to the main 120 VAC breaker box:

Between black and white= 120 VAC
Between red and white= 120 VAC

Between either black or red and green= 120 VAC

If on 50 amp shore power between black and red= 240 VAC
Old 12-24-2021, 11:52 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

You said inverter is dead. Does that mean it won't charge batteries or pass-through 120v, or that it won't invert (make 120v from battery)? Have you tried powering things via the inverter? Of course, the inverter needs usable batteries and you said "inconclusive", whatever that means. Also, is there a circuit breaker on the inverter? Reset it.

Was the inverter on standby when power was lost, i.e. it would automatically begin to supply power once shore power was lost? Could it be that the inverter supplied 120v power until the batteries were exhausted? If the ATS failed somehow and the inverter kicked on as backup power, that would explain most of your symptoms.

You need a "dumb" charger or a small trickle charger to bring the battery voltage up enough for the bigger but smarter charger to bring the batteries back.

What happens when the generator is running? Do you have 120v power anywhere? Starting with the ATS?
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2021, 12:05 PM   #8

Is Aims inverter also a charger. Does it have pass through power from gen. or shore power?
Do you have any 120v power with inverter off at outlets like microwave. Do you have 120 v to charger at inverter on shore or pole. Sounds like you need put a different charger on batteries to get them back up. Most inverter chargers won't charge/kick below 9- 10 v. You might get it to kick in holding boost solenoid on and off every minute or so. , you may need to do with engine at high idle help recharge house batts. Maybe ATS loss leg to charger side . Any reset breakers on the inverter.
When did problem start ? Did hose batts go dead driving down the road...that points to isolator/combiner issue.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2021, 01:07 PM   #9

I'll try to answer all

Yes I am safe with 240v testing and understand it.
The coach was sitting still with shore power plugged in, the inverter in auto and the house batteries turned on. When I try to hook up a semi smart battery charger to the house bank, it doesn't see the 4 batteries so they must be totally flat for whatever reason. They are good, recent 6v's. I'll pull those apart if needed but would love to not.
I'll start back upstream and test the house power in at the auto transfer, then move downstream. Like I said, I can't get to my house breakers, dang slide is in the way.

Can someone advise manual option for getting that slide out ?

Quick edit the left side of the transfer box is hot, right side not. I'm going to have to yank the inverter charger now. Tight fit and I can't see all the way around it.
Old 12-24-2021, 01:50 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
If one side of the ATS is hot and one side is not then the issue is with the ATS not the inverter.
Old 12-24-2021, 01:59 PM   #11

Well, in today's humbling moment I had the bright idea to jump the house batteries and I'm in business. Slides open

House panel and inverter troubleshooting begins.

Man, do I feel dumb haha

It wasn't the ATS, just had to read the diagram upside down. The dead side is the generator. I then found a sketchy breaker to inverter connection, just enough to cause everything to look dead. Happy ending but not sure how much a hit the house batteries took, lesson learned to keep them turned off, just got lazy. Maybe Santa is thinking new lithium house batteries, hmmmm
Old 12-24-2021, 03:26 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hey OP, it would have helped more if you would fill in your Signature with your MH info.
Glad you figured it out. Have a Merry Holiday and a Happy Winter Season
Old 12-24-2021, 07:06 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperGewl View Post
Hey OP, it would have helped more if you would fill in your Signature with your MH info.
Glad you figured it out. Have a Merry Holiday and a Happy Winter Season
USAF SERE says, will do squid.
Old 12-25-2021, 02:29 PM   #14

If batts didn't freeze or sit too long they should bounce back.... 6v are pretty robust. Make sure you get a good deep charge in them and keep them up.I would run an equalize charge after a few days if inv. has it, make sure batts are topped off with water first.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, electrical