Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-18-2020, 04:33 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Yet Another Sanicon hose blowout - Any sources for a new substitute hose

Well, it happened to me, while emptying by black holding tank using the Sanicon Macerator system - the discharge hose had a blowout and showered me with black water, needless to say I was and covered with poop and furious.

I decided to find a new hose and discovered most, if not all, suppliers of the Sanicon hose were "out of stock". I called Thetford and they advised that due to the factory shut down due to Covid, stocks of replacement hoses were slim to none and that condition would continue for a few weeks or more.

I decided to see if I could find a suitable substitute that would fit in my New Air wet bay which has very limited storage space. The original 20' hose fit well with room to spare; however, the 30' pool hose I purchased didn't fit nor did the 24' sump pump hose. At a minimum I wanted to connect a 20' +/-replacement hose using camlocks or other quick connect system. I have seen many ideas on IRV2 blogs on how to do this.

I have looked at hundreds 1.5" flexible hose solutions and can't seem to find anything that would be a good substitute. I looked at vacuum suction hoses, canvas 1.5" fire hoses; wet/dry vacuum hoses (which seem to be the most promising substitute), looked at flat discharge hoses and others that I can't remember which category they fit in.

I have spoken to hose sales representatives who offer no solutions, stopped at my local Home Depot, Lowes, and the closest vacuum store -- all to no avail.

So has anyone found a flexible, retractable 20' hose that is durable, abrasion resistant, flexible enough to fit it a tight space yet strong enough to expand as necessary without showering the operator with a "poop shower".

I love, love, love the macerator system, but am frustrated with the poor quality hoses provided by Thetford. The company is making a lot of money on hoses that fail way before their time. I guess like tires they age out, in this case at about 1 - 2 years, at least that is my observation. I guess I'll be using my 3" slinky hose until I get this figured out.

I look forward to suggestions.

Mike
mjh0827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-18-2020, 05:34 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjh0827 View Post
Well, it happened to me, while emptying by black holding tank using the Sanicon Macerator system - the discharge hose had a blowout and showered me with black water, needless to say I was and covered with poop and furious.

I decided to find a new hose and discovered most, if not all, suppliers of the Sanicon hose were "out of stock". I called Thetford and they advised that due to the factory shut down due to Covid, stocks of replacement hoses were slim to none and that condition would continue for a few weeks or more.

I decided to see if I could find a suitable substitute that would fit in my New Air wet bay which has very limited storage space. The original 20' hose fit well with room to spare; however, the 30' pool hose I purchased didn't fit nor did the 24' sump pump hose. At a minimum I wanted to connect a 20' +/-replacement hose using camlocks or other quick connect system. I have seen many ideas on IRV2 blogs on how to do this.

I have looked at hundreds 1.5" flexible hose solutions and can't seem to find anything that would be a good substitute. I looked at vacuum suction hoses, canvas 1.5" fire hoses; wet/dry vacuum hoses (which seem to be the most promising substitute), looked at flat discharge hoses and others that I can't remember which category they fit in.

I have spoken to hose sales representatives who offer no solutions, stopped at my local Home Depot, Lowes, and the closest vacuum store -- all to no avail.

So has anyone found a flexible, retractable 20' hose that is durable, abrasion resistant, flexible enough to fit it a tight space yet strong enough to expand as necessary without showering the operator with a "poop shower".

I love, love, love the macerator system, but am frustrated with the poor quality hoses provided by Thetford. The company is making a lot of money on hoses that fail way before their time. I guess like tires they age out, in this case at about 1 - 2 years, at least that is my observation. I guess I'll be using my 3" slinky hose until I get this figured out.

I look forward to suggestions.

Mike
I'm putting together a roll flat hose as soon as I get 1 it 2 more fittings. The 1"X 25' hose is $25 from Harbor Freight.

Its a bit smaller in diameter but will not blow out like the stretchy SaniCon hose.

I used them with my old FloJet macerator and they worked OK.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 05:54 PM   #3

I have bought extra Sanicon hoses on Amazon in addition to Cam fittings. Amazon has them listed as available now. Here is a link showing 5 available presently.

https://www.amazon.com/Thetford-9752...s%2C595&sr=8-3
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 08:00 PM   #4

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjh0827 View Post
I guess like tires they age out, in this case at about 1 - 2 years, at least that is my observation.
Mine is 2007 vintage, and still going strong !

Before the 'Turbo' model though.
Old 11-18-2020, 09:43 PM   #5
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
My original SaniCon system in my 2005 Diplomat came with the smaller diameter hose that lasted 10 years. When I ordered the 2019 Newmar DS with the new turbo SaniCon, people were having all kinds of issues with the hose. The cure was to add a nylon sheath from Amazon over the hose. It's still just as flexible, but the hose never touches the ground, just the sheath. Two years later, still no issue.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 04:56 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken C View Post
I have bought extra Sanicon hoses on Amazon in addition to Cam fittings. Amazon has them listed as available now. Here is a link showing 5 available presently.

https://www.amazon.com/Thetford-9752...s%2C595&sr=8-3
Ken,

Thanks for the information, I had checked Amazon last week and there were no Sanicon hoses listed. But I must confess that I didn't check a second time prior to my post for help.

I ordered two of the five hoses listed on Amazon, PET covers for each of the two hoses, heat shrink tubes and camlock fittings for both hoses in the event I needed a second hose for an "out of reach" sewer connection.

Hopefully these additions will take care of my Sanicon issues and the hoses will last a long time as has been the case with others.

I appreciate your help as well as all who responded to my plea for help.

Mike
Old 11-20-2020, 05:45 PM   #7
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Mike......If you're familiar with "rescue tape", a tape that adheres to itself and sold at RV stores and on line, it makes for a great tape to seal the end connections and won't come off.

https://www.amazon.com/Rescue-Tape-C...38295918&psc=1
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 05:55 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
My SaniCon system is in storage in a building where I keep the MH. That way it can't cause any problems.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 06:33 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
Mike......If you're familiar with "rescue tape", a tape that adheres to itself and sold at RV stores and on line, it makes for a great tape to seal the end connections and won't come off.

https://www.amazon.com/Rescue-Tape-C...38295918&psc=1
Thanks for information, looks like a good tape to have in your tool kit and a good way to, as you suggested, attaching the PET covering to the Sanicon hoses.

Mike
Old 11-21-2020, 12:32 PM   #10

Hi Mike,

You're welcome. I have several extras since I have to reach about 50 - 60 feet when we park on our pad at our daughter's house. All have the protective sleeve as well as Cam Lock fittings. I carry one extra when traveling in case of a failure and the occasional park that has the sewer connection behind the coach so I don't have to stretch the primary hose. Our original Sanicon hose is still fine after 2 1/2 years of use, but it has had the sleeve since nearly new.
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hose